NYC Manhattan Port.

Rhodeisland17

We are looking for some advise. There are 10 of us cruising from NYC in February. We are traveling from Rhode Island so we will drive. The parking at the port is expensive so I am wondering if anyone else has parked at another lot where they shuttle you to the ship? I've got 3 people in our party that are in their 80s so walking a distance isn't going to work for them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

We are looking for some advise. There are 10 of us cruising from NYC in February. We are traveling from Rhode Island so we will drive. The parking at the port is expensive so I am wondering if anyone else has parked at another lot where they shuttle you to the ship? I've got 3 people in our party that are in their 80s so walking a distance isn't going to work for them. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

10 folks including several with mobility issues? AND you want to park in Manhattan? You may want to consider flying from RI to NY.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love hearing from fellow Rhode Islander's on this forum! I don't recall the name of the lot, but I once parked in a garage where you go there before arriving at the port, and they have valet drivers that drive you in your vehicle to the port, before parking your car for the cruise.

Might be a good option for you so you only have to get out of the car once.

I would google something along the lines of "NYC Cruise Valet Parking" or something like that. As I remember it was cheaper than the pier parking.

Have a great cruise!

No need for reservations for parking on the terminal roof. Passengers from the previous sailing are leaving, making their parking spaces available for the incoming passengers.

In February, there aren't as many ships sailing from N.Y. as in the summer. There are plenty of spaces. They can even use the connecting pier next door if they need it.

We've parked at the pier many, many times. Never had a problem.

You have three people with mobility issues. Dividing the parking cost by 10 people is quite small.

You don't know about snow and ice in N.Y. in February.

Parking on the terminal roof makes the most sense to me.

Are you all in one vehicle?

10 folks including several with mobility issues? AND you want to park in Manhattan? You may want to consider flying from RI to NY.

Flying??? You can't be serious. It's a 3 hour drive......get in the car, drive, get out. Think of all the mobility challenges with getting to the airport, getting thru security and on a plane, dealing with luggage, then getting a cab/limo to the pier.

We are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield NJ the night before. The price to stay the night, eat breakfast, park for a week, and shuttle to the pier and back is the same price as parking for a week at the terminal. Might be a nice option for a big group to drive in the night before and unwind.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Fly???? I'm guessing you don't really understand how close RI is to NYC. Providence to Time Square (I just picked two random start/end places) is under 200 miles.

... does the Hilton Garden shuttle to the Manhattan pier?

Let's be very clear - short answer, NONE of the hotels around, near or far, from the MCT offer free or complimentary pier transfer. Hilton Garden Inns ?? - which one ... regardless, likely answer is nothing free. Parking is expensive in NYC, especially Manhattan - just like Boston, DC, San Francisco or downtown Los Angeles. There are surcharges for minivan, suv and oversized vehicles at private garages (unless exempt or waived) but the pier's rooftop parking does NOT impose extra fees.

As it has been suggested by 2 other posters above, you will find plenty of Q&A previously answered - links & tips on the East Coast Departure sub-forum

With 3 out of 10 in your traveling party with mobility issues - getting 2 hotel rooms to share is a challenge in itsef, as the typical tourist class room occupancy is for up to 4 adults, floor space permitting - for a rollaway bed ... pullout sofa bed are horrible with its thin, sagging mattress.

If sailing on the GEM in February, there's a 25% coupon discount, still honored and reducing the daily cost to $30, taxes & fees inclusive - making it less expensive than using Park Right with the surcharge for a minivan (not valid for use on Breakaway sailings as no other ships scheduled to use the pier).

Edited by mking8288

We just cruised on the Breakaway and parked. We have a person with mobility issues as well as an infant and I am so glad we did. $280 for the week is not so bad and you just get out of the car and go in an elevator to the terminal. We got there around 12:30 and had no trouble finding a space

With 3 pax in their 80's please don't be foolish here....park at the port!!!!!

It will not fill up

Alternately you are not taking 1 car with 10 people are you?

So at the bare minimum have the car with the elder pax park at the port

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Driving in from RI to NJ - 2 vehices parked "free" for the duration will cost an extra $15 toll each - assuming it's the GEM, all 3 Feb. 2017 sailings are weekdays for embarkation & disembarkation - that 13 miles trip via the GW Bridge or Lincoln Tunnel can easily turn into a 2 hour commute if there's a major accident or incident in the immediate area ... heading to the pier in the morning.

Looked at the Hilden Garden Inn's fine prints for the package, there's a maximum of 4 per room/stay on the qualifying rate, so 3 rooms needed - please do your math/calculations - subject to availability, call & speak to the hotel front desk/manager directly to re-confirm & verify, that it's for round-trip transportation.

On disembarkation morning, again, it's a weekday and between calling for pickup, waiting & actually go west to NJ back to the hotel to pickup the parked vehicles, which could easiy be an extra 1 to 2 hours or more, depending on morning commuter traffic, weather, road conditions and whether it's hotel's own shuttle (doubtful) or outsourced to an outside vendor/contractor - one can easily take the elevator up to the roof, load pax & luggage & get in, drive off and almost 2/3 way home to RI ... possibly, getting back by noon - convenience is the tradeoff with the arrangement.

Personally, members with mobility issues traveling in the winter month - I would go with the simplicity & comfort, pay a little more to park on the roof. There's plentiful parking & extra reserve lot @ 59th Street if necessary - GEM sailings typically take up 50% or less of the pier's rooftop "stalls" only. More likely the Park Right indoor lot is full then the pier's parking being filled up.

See this - (parking on top of Pier 90) your choice of parking spot, anywhere (snow shovel & other winter gears are expected for anyone driving ... in case of a major storm or blizzard, the lot will be plowed & cleared, just need to get into your spot & get going)

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160522/36d8713a4b54aadbe603416632958d26.jpg