Dutch Oven Pans on the Buffet

helen haywood

When did Celebrity start putting dishes in the Ocean View Cafe in those Dutch oven/cassoulet pots? This was on Eclipse in December. We sailed Equinox in April (as well as lots of other X cruises) and never saw them before. Is this to prevent waste? Or is it easier for some other reason?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1) Because I'm curious.

2) Because I wondered if it was a change across the board.

3) Because I've not seen it done on Carnival, HAL, MSC, Royal, NCL or Costa.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by helen haywood

First time we saw this was on Equinox in November. We also noticed a big deterioration of the selections in number and quality in the buffet as well. One day the carving station had meatloaf. No marinated mushrooms, olives. The cheese section were just a couple of platters of generic cheese slices.

They are the big pots you would make spaghetti in at home.

They were on Reflection a few weeks ago. That is where the scrambled eggs and other things were.

They don't hold as much as the metal bins and were empty way too often.

Certainly it's a cost cutting thing. They are trying to cut back on waste as much as they can...Profit margins have been shrinking...and a business can't function without PROFIT! It's the truth...it's not a sin or illegal. Businesses MUST make profit, or they fail and go OUT of business. It's just how it is.

Certainly it's a cost cutting thing. They are trying to cut back on waste as much as they can...Profit margins have been shrinking...and a business can't function without PROFIT! It's the truth...it's not a sin or illegal. Businesses MUST make profit, or they fail and go OUT of business. It's just how it is.

Thank you for the economics lesson.

They were being used on Radiance of the Seas in November. They kept the food nice and hot, and they were easy for chefs to manipulate when needing to be replaced.

The ship also had the best-tasting pancakes and waffles we have ever eaten in a buffet in almost thirty cruises on many different ships/boats of six lines. The reason they were so good is that they were kept from going dry by constantly being covered with large pieces of cloth. Yes, it was inconvenient to have to remove the cloth for self-service, but it was worth the trouble.

Noticed the pots sitting on ceramic heaters at the lunch buffet on Eclipse in December. Perhaps they kept the food warmer, perhaps they made serving easier but I'm being kind when I say they did absolutely nothing to enhance the appearance of whatever they contained on any given day. Just MHO.

Hard to believe there is a thread here about such a minor issue!

I think almost half of the threads here on CC are on minor issues ... doesn't make them any less entertaining! ;)

And - every so often - informative!