Star Azipod News and progress

karoo

There will be a formal investigation - it will be interesting to read. Unfortunately these things take months.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2017/mair/329-mo-2017-003/

Looking forward to it, I've got a file of cruise ship incident reports, interesting to note that no mention was made in the summary of previous propulsion problems, or the fact that the ship sailed with only one azipod. While this will definitely be discussed in the report, if it was an overriding concern, it would have been listed in the summary of events.

I don't regard it as impossible for both NCL and John to be wrong. Do you?
I do but John has no history of lying to me . Plus I'd rather insult a cruiseline then another CCer .;)

Love the symmetry of that wake! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your right . I hadn't even thought to notice that although if it wasn't symmetrical it would be noticed .

Star dropped the pilot about a half hour ago, and is now doing 19 knots.

Good news...! And I wish to thank you for always sharing your expertise with us....I do really appreciate your posts on all the threads..;)

A question for the tech guys. When using two azipods, does it stress them less than using 1? Would they have ran 1 at full throttle but 2 on half throttle each? I'm wondering if running on 1 caused too much stress on it?

A question for the tech guys. When using two azipods, does it stress them less than using 1? Would they have ran 1 at full throttle but 2 on half throttle each? I'm wondering if running on 1 caused too much stress on it?

If the itinerary needed only half power to make the speed, then yes, they would run two pods at half power. A shut down pod causes drag, requiring more power to get the same speed. The units are designed to run at 100% rated power (there is always a safety factor designed in) indefinitely. So, no, running one azipod at full power would not over stress it. Most itineraries are planned for less than full speed/power, just to save fuel, but a month or two running at full power should not have any deleterious effects.

This is the latest media statement:

The technical issues relating to Norwegian Star’s azipod propulsion system have been repaired and the ship was cleared for sailing by the classification society and the local authorities. Norwegian Star departed from Melbourne on February 14 at 2:00 p.m. local time and will proceed directly to Auckland, after completing a short sea trial period. The ship is expected to arrive in Auckland on the morning of February 18.

Guests embarking on Norwegian Star’s February 18 cruise will be contacted in the next 48 hours to confirm the ship’s embarkation time on February 18.

Norwegian Cruise Line would like to extend our sincerest appreciation to our guests for their patience and understanding during this cruise and to the ship’s crew for ensuring that all guests were able to make the most of their amended journey.

####

Did they really sail at 2pm?? I didn't think that was the case at all. Curious nothing else as I have followed this from the beginning

I think it was around 5pm local time after the trials. Star is currently off Wilson's Point (southern point of Australia) doing 20 knots, and ETA 0500 2/18 local.

Well good news is that she "seems" to be repaired at last and on her way to Auckland. I feel bad for passengers from the US and other long distances. I know our air tickets are costing far more than the cruise itself. We are really reconsidering our booking. TI would not make anyone whole given this incident as missed Ports and cruiseline mechanical failures aren't covered unless the cruise is cancelled.

Safe journey all and thanks for sharing.

I think it was around 5pm local time after the trials. Star is currently off Wilson's Point (southern point of Australia) doing 20 knots, and ETA 0500 2/18 local.

They were still in the bay at 10pm last night, and dropped the pilot at around midnight.:D

Looking forward to it, I've got a file of cruise ship incident reports, interesting to note that no mention was made in the summary of previous propulsion problems, or the fact that the ship sailed with only one azipod. While this will definitely be discussed in the report, if it was an overriding concern, it would have been listed in the summary of events.

I too am looking forward to reading the report , however I would prefer not to try to preempt it ....

Regards

John Fisher LtCmdr RN Retired

Which is interesting considering that's exactly what you've been doing in this thread.

Rubbish

Your signature keeps getting longer.

if you have it Flaunt it ;-)

Oh BTW do I detect a "split personality" somewhere here ?

If only they had done this back in December when the issues first arose. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

of Course

But taking chances at Sea is asking to die the Sea is not a benign place

Always check and double check , before you leave the fairway marker astern

if fact do it before you think of casting your warps off the wharf

accidents normally have an interesting history of events before they happen ask E J Smith :-)

regards

John

If only they had done this back in December when the issues first arose. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The problem is, most likely the parts that were repaired in Melbourne had not failed, nor had given any indication of failure in December. And the part needed in December was not a stock item, and had to be manufactured.

The problem is, most likely the parts that were repaired in Melbourne had not failed, nor had given any indication of failure in December. And the part needed in December was not a stock item, and had to be manufactured.

Please... can we have more posts asserting that Corporate Overlord NCL is trying to kill everyone in the name of profit with Gilligan at the helm of the Norwegian Minnow...