Get ready for Ocean Medallion Class™

IECalCruiser

Could be. As long as they've got a medallion or its specifications (their spies are everywhere).

The keynote speech promo film mentioned production and said they were working with "many of the leading manufacturers in Asia". I'd guess the Chinese already have them. :)

Edited by Thrak

The keynote speech promo film mentioned production and said they were working with "many of the leading manufacturers in Asia". I'd guess the Chinese already have them. :)

Even with "made in China" I would think they would be more expensive to produce than cruise cards but maybe not.

For all you folks who are complaining about the price of accessories to hold your medallions:

Just wait for a couple of months after they are introduced and I'm sure you will find plenty of after-market accessories at much lower prices than Princess offers. Some may be much more creative as well!

As it happen most of the time.

Even with "made in China" I would think they would be more expensive to produce than cruise cards but maybe not.

I'm sure they must be quite a bit more costly than a simple magnetic strip card.

Given a choice between a single beep of a smart phone & the constant squawk of a walkie talkie I'll take the phone any day.

I don't suppose a vibration would be all that intrusive but an audible tone indicating a message would be most annoying.

As for walkie talkies... GAH! I've never had the dubious "pleasure" of hearing them onboard. I have a nice pair purchased years ago for speaking between cars in a caravan - at that time none of us had even considered a cell phone. They weren't ubiquitous like they are now. These days the walkie talkies sit unused on a shelf in my computer room. I would really not like to have to listen to people using them onboard.

I don't suppose a vibration would be all that intrusive but an audible tone indicating a message would be most annoying.

And even more annoying is after feeling the vibration, turning on the bright screen in a darkened Princess Theater to see the very important message that just arrived.

But I'd prefer neither of those.

As for walkie talkies... GAH! I've never had the dubious "pleasure" of hearing them onboard. I have a nice pair purchased years ago for speaking between cars in a caravan - at that time none of us had even considered a cell phone. They weren't ubiquitous like they are now. These days the walkie talkies sit unused on a shelf in my computer room. I would really not like to have to listen to people using them onboard.

Right now you don't have a choice but if the beep was utilized with the messaging system it certainly would be a lot quieter.

And even more annoying is after feeling the vibration, turning on the bright screen in a darkened Princess Theater to see the very important message that just arrived.

1 quiet beep for an important message isn't really that bothersome considering that today people are using their smart phones to take photos at the shows right now & I haven't noticed any bright screens even with the phones being held up high.

Here's an idea: Instead of a gizmo that unlocks my door (I know that would be like totally awesome, but I think I can still manage to unlock it myself, thanks), how about a device that prevents your inconsiderate neighbors from invariably slamming their door, every time, without fail, 24/7?

Again, using Disney as an example, the cost will probably be about an additional $4 per passenger (including the cost of shipping them to homes - per pax costs go down for larger families). The efficiency gains and additional data alone would easily cover that plus any additional sales they make. Those costs will also drop as they extend to more ships and lines and increase volume. That said, lets be honest if they raise fares $5 pp most people will not notice.

The upfront cost of system design and installation will be substantial though and take some time to cover.

Speaking to someone I know over there, the onshore entertainment staff is super excited for this. One of the things they have already asked for is number of attendees at all stage shows AND how many people remain for the entire show, they are going to use this to see what types of entertainment are most successful. Some comedians, etc may find themselves off the rotation if my past experience is any guide.

Next Art Auction tomorrow 10:00am in the Atrium???

Can't you imagine, everyone's medallion beeping at the same time in the theatre for an important message like this.

There's not going to be a screen (too much battery consumption and for factor issues).

I could possibly see a vibrate/slight chirp mechanism, but that's not something CDs would use because no way to indicate content reliably. I would think something more like text message notification from another user, charge alerts for kids' accounts, things like that.

Next Art Auction tomorrow 10:00am in the Atrium???

Can't you imagine, everyone's medallion beeping at the same time in the theatre for an important message like this.

Here's an idea: Instead of a gizmo that unlocks my door (I know that would be like totally awesome, but I think I can still manage to unlock it myself, thanks), how about a device that prevents your inconsiderate neighbors from invariably slamming their door, every time, without fail, 24/7?

Yes please!

For all you folks who are complaining about the price of accessories to hold your medallions:

Just wait for a couple of months after they are introduced and I'm sure you will find plenty of after-market accessories at much lower prices than Princess offers. Some may be much more creative as well!

This doesn't concern me. I plan to modify one of my extensive collection of tiaras to hold the medallion. There it will be - front and center at the top of my head. :D

...concerns of them 'monitoring' where individuals go at any given moment are likely unfounded without cause.

But one statement from Princess I read said that the medallions will improve safety. I was thinking that meant they could determine your location if missing, for example, or quickly determine if a passenger went overboard. Perhaps they will not be that sophisticated, though, and they just meant cabin access would be more secure, or something of that nature.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

...As for walkie talkies... GAH! I've never had the dubious "pleasure" of hearing them onboard...

It got bad on some ships around 15 or 20 years ago before many people had cell phones yet, so they would use the walkies onboard even while in port. And some would yell on them as though they were speaking to the Moon. Fortunately, I haven't heard one on my last several cruises.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

But one statement from Princess I read said that the medallions will improve safety. I was thinking that meant they could determine your location if missing, for example, or quickly determine if a passenger went overboard. Perhaps they will not be that sophisticated, though, and they just meant cabin access would be more secure, or something of that nature.

I took it as locating a person with Alzheimer's who just wanders off on the ship.