S & S Cards no longer given at check in.

Donh44

I read several threads recently that some ships are not issuing S & S cards at checkin. They said that they would be in your mailbox outside of your cabin. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I contacted my PVP and he told me that there is some new technology "in the works" which might eliminate the S & S card. I have read some material that confirms this. Was wondering if they have stopped issuing the cards at checkin on any ships at this time.

So how are people ordering beverages and such before they can get into their cabins? Are there bracelets or something?

From what i have read you use your boarding pass until you can access your room to get your cards.

The "new" technology in the works was just announced today but it is only being tested on a few Princess ships and not on Carnival ships.

that is different. the op is talking about the sail and sign delivery method carnival is testing on 2 ships where you do not get the cards at check in

I read several threads recently that some ships are not issuing S & S cards at checkin. They said that they would be in your mailbox outside of your cabin. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I contacted my PVP and he told me that there is some new technology "in the works" which might eliminate the S & S card. I have read some material that confirms this. Was wondering if they have stopped issuing the cards at checkin on any ships at this time.

Could it not pose an issue of people taking others s&s cards before they reach the cabin and using them at self serve areas (arcade, beer station and library bar.) Also it defeats the object of not putting room numbers on cards despite they are placed next to the corresponding room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/url

Could it not pose an issue of people taking others s&s cards before they reach the cabin and using them at self serve areas (arcade, beer station and library bar.) Also it defeats the object of not putting room numbers on cards despite they are placed next to the corresponding room.

They have some security measures in place and have reported no theft problems so far. I don't find it worrisome myself.

I just experienced this on the Vista last week. They had assigned boarding times, too. Received an email saying they would not even be opening terminal doors until 11, so I got there at 11:15. I'm platinum so went through that line, but they were already boarding group 4 by the time I went through. Fastest boarding I have ever experienced in 30+ cruises! I went straight to my room and my S&S cards were in a sealed envelope in the little mailbox outside the door. No issues at all. I cannot speak to ordering drinks with the boarding pass, however. I was really impressed with how fast they were getting people on the ship!

Also, we never had to get our pictures taken for the S&S cards. Our passport pics were uploaded to the system. Awesome!

The key cards are placed in tamper proof envelopes. If the envelope has been opened, go to GS and get new ones. And when the cards are used, your photo is shown on the screen of the register. Unless you have a doppelganger on board, you should be safe. The vast majority of people who have experienced this report no problems. I'm hoping they have it for my upcoming Freedom cruise, but probably not....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

There have been no reports of such things happening despite people having posted this same "concern" on the multiple other threads about this process. The envelopes are sealed with a tamper resistant sticker. If they are missing or have been opened, you get to go to the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF line at GS to get the charges removed and new cards so there's no "I don't want to waste all my time in line at GS fixing something that is Carnival's fault."

As far as not putting room numbers on cards, I don't get your concern. They still aren't there. The envelope says your name and folio number just like now. Are you worried someone is going to write down folio numbers? Your picture is still attached to your account, so no one but you will be able to charge things to it. Think about this - all the people that wear their cards on lanyards now. Have you ever heard of anyone looking at their folio number, writing it down, and buying things? What about those that leave them on the bar while drinking?

I specifically said self serve as I know about pictures and whenever you board a cruise they usually say that room numbers aren't on s&s cards incase someone loses their card.

The key cards are placed in tamper proof envelopes. If the envelope has been opened, go to GS and get new ones. And when the cards are used, your photo is shown on the screen of the register. Unless you have a doppelganger on board, you should be safe. The vast majority of people who have experienced this report no problems. I'm hoping they have it for my upcoming Freedom cruise, but probably not....

Sent from my Galaxy 4

I know that the photo is linked to the cards but when using a self serve machine like I originally said their is no way for them to verify.

I specifically said self serve as I know about pictures and whenever you board a cruise they usually say that room numbers aren't on s&s cards incase someone loses their card.

Then obviously, the card will be missing and you should report it to GS. Room numbers still aren't on the cards. Also, I'm not sure, but are the self serve machines on while in a US port? Because while you are docked in the US, sales tax has to be added to drink purchases and I'm not sure if they are set up for that. Never used one so that's why I ask.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Thank you for posting this.

Useful info to know.

It's true.

Just on sensation in December and our cards were waiting outside our room.

It's only on the Vista and Splendor as of right now.

I thought it was only on the Vista and Splendor for now also, very interested to hear they did it this way on the Sensation too. Any reports of other ships switching to this system yet?

It's true. I cruised the Vista & they were in the mailbox.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app