Upgrade offer - is it worth it?

yvr49

Full breakfast in your stateroom! This one is a deal-breaker for me, so we always book in a room that allows for this option. Although on our next cruise we are going to try the PH suites! (Which allow for the full dinner menus from around the ship!)

Full breakfast in your stateroom! This one is a deal-breaker for me, so we always book in a room that allows for this option. Although on our next cruise we are going to try the PH suites! (Which allow for the full dinner menus from around the ship!)

As you enjoy room service in your balcony cabin I am sure that in the PH you will love ordering from one of the specialty dining rooms and being served in a couple of courses (as you prefer and within limits). A whole lot better than 'ordering in' at home!

I agree, book the cabin/suite you want-that way you won't be disappointed if you don't get the upgrade or upsell. We enjoy a large suite and all the benefits that come with it, that way you know what your going to get from the start.

Technically they are normally upsells - free upgrades are very rare.

They tend to go to TAs first and then to direct bookings.

The attractive upsells go fast and they are on a first come basis.

People interested in those offers give their TAs parameters for acceptable offers (such as "I'll take an upsell to PH for $500/pp or less") - that way the TA can respond promptly without the delay of contacting the customer and possibly losing the offer.

One time we received an upsell to a VS at a good price at last minute. Unfortunately the e mail arrived while we were flying to Europe. Needless to say, by the time we landed and picked up the e mail, the offer was taken by someone else.

Well, that has not been our experience. We have never sailed on Oceania and as I said, about once a week or so I have been getting an email offer to change cruises and upgrade to a penthouse as well as sometimes even more incentives. I suspect the cruise we are on is very popular and they are trying to accommodate requests.

The last one we got was only 4 days ago to change to different cruise, the day after ours leaves. The offer states "We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to cancel your booking above and take the rewarding, alternate voyage described below at the same price.

Attractive incentives include a free upgrade to a PENTHOUSE BUTLER SUITE! "

None of the offers we have received requested any money, they were all free.

I suspect that Paul (and others) were saying that you won't get a true upgrade on the cruise you originally booked. When you are being coerced into changing cruises, OTOH, it isn't unusual to get a true upgrade.

In Oct '11 we moved to a Med Cruise on Marina in a VS which was an upgrade from a PH on a Regatta Alaska cruise the previous August. The fare for the PH was about half of what the fare for the VS was, plus we got extra OBC -- and we'd already had $1250 for the Alaska cruise.

If they want you to move off of a crowded cruise where they need your room, they have to make it well worth your while.

We've received many upsell offers for "better" rooms on the cruise we had already booked, but I don't think we ever got an upgrade on the cruise we had already booked.

(We also got a bunch of money back when we voluntarily downgraded on our June 2016 cruise on Nautica.)

Mura

Well, that has not been our experience. We have never sailed on Oceania and as I said, about once a week or so I have been getting an email offer to change cruises and upgrade to a penthouse as well as sometimes even more incentives. I suspect the cruise we are on is very popular and they are trying to accommodate requests.

The last one we got was only 4 days ago to change to different cruise, the day after ours leaves. The offer states "We would like to present a completely VOLUNTARY OPPORTUNITY to cancel your booking above and take the rewarding, alternate voyage described below at the same price.

Attractive incentives include a free upgrade to a PENTHOUSE BUTLER SUITE! "

None of the offers we have received requested any money, they were all free.

Have you been offered a free upgrade on the cruise that you are booked on?

If you don't want to get these offers, let your TA know.

If you aren't using a TA, then maybe you have to continue receiving them. But the delete button is easy to use ...

Mura

Is it possible to receive an upsell while you are on an extended b2b2b, etc. cruise for one of the segments? We always book the verandah category that we want but are open to a PH upsell. Are upsells mainly reserved for booked cruisers who have not yet left for their voyage(s)? The only time we were offered an upsell was from a verandah to a concierge but in a location on the ship that we did not like, hence our refusal.

I suspect you can be offered an upsell on a B2B2B like on any other cruise. We were offered an upsell on the first segment only of a B2B - we would have taken it as it was a good deal but were too late to get it.

For me, it would have to be a very good offer - especially if the upsell was on middle segment of a B2B2B - as it would involve 2 cabin moves :(

I believe upsells are offered based on occupancy levels, regardless of whether one is at home or on a cruise and are filled on first come basis.

Edited by Paulchili

Is it possible to receive an upsell while you are on an extended b2b2b, etc. cruise for one of the segments? We always book the verandah category that we want but are open to a PH upsell. Are upsells mainly reserved for booked cruisers who have not yet left for their voyage(s)? The only time we were offered an upsell was from a verandah to a concierge but in a location on the ship that we did not like, hence our refusal.

You could ask your TA if cabins are available then make O an offer to upgrade

You could always ask the Purser near the end of one segment if there are any PH available on the next segment

We wanted to stay on after a cruise but they were fully booked ...

darn we had to get off

I know people who have successfully booked the next segment while onboard so it can happen

Have you been offered a free upgrade on the cruise that you are booked on?

As I have mentioned before, we have booked our first cruise on Oceania for end Feb. We have paid in full since November.

I have been getting "free" upgrade offers to give up my cruise and go on another cruise with penthouse accommodations and sometimes even extra on board credits since October. We have not been offered an upsell, just free upgrades to change cruises.

Also like I said, just a few days ago was the last one. We are to depart 24 Feb and they offered a free upgrade to take the cruise on 25 Feb instead.

As I have mentioned before, we have booked our first cruise on Oceania for end Feb. We have paid in full since November.

I have been getting "free" upgrade offers to give up my cruise and go on another cruise with penthouse accommodations and sometimes even extra on board credits since October. We have not been offered an upsell, just free upgrades to change cruises.

Also like I said, just a few days ago was the last one. We are to depart 24 Feb and they offered a free upgrade to take the cruise on 25 Feb instead.

I think you are confusing a "Free upgrade" on the cruise YOU booked with a MOVE OFF offer to another cruise.

When they want your cabin they are going to give you a "free upgrade" plus possibly a cash incentive to move to another cruise

If they did not offer people something better why would anyone move off the cruise

Edited by LHT28

I think you are confusing a "Free upgrade" on the cruise YOU booked with a MOVE OFF offer to another cruise.

When they want your cabin they are going to give you a "free upgrade" plus possibly a cash incentive to move to another cruise

If they did not offer people something better why would anyone move off the cruise

I am not confusing anything. I have been offered a free upgrade to a penthouse on another cruise. It is an upgrade to what I already have.

Regardless of the move of dates or the destinations or cruise line reasons, it is a free cabin upgrade offer (with potential other incentives).

I have been upgraded to a suite on a 14 day Celebrity Mediterranean cruise on the same ship and cruise as a group wanted a bunch of cabins in a row so, I know what an upgrade offer is. Getting more than you initially paid for is an upgrade and if it costs nothing extra, it is free. Nothing confusing.

I agree with you. Pete is confusing the terminology.

As you know, there are several types of "changes" that Oceania can offer to a passenger:

1 Upgrade on the same cruise - higher cabin level for free

2 Upsell on the same cruise - higher cabin level for a fee

3 Down sell on the same cruise - lower cabin level for a refund

4 Move-over to a different cruise - usually for free and often a longer cruise/better cabin.

The last 2 can be very generous but require a sacrifice - different itinerary and dates. May be financially attractive but if it's not the itinerary you want it's worthless; or maybe you can't change your vacation dates, flights, traveling with friends, etc, etc

What Pete has been offered is #4. Yes, it is free and a better cabin but it is not the cruise he wants and thus has not taken it.

Had he been offered #1, I suspect he would have jumped on it.

Edited by Paulchili

I agree with you. Pete is confusing the terminology.

There are several types of "changes" that Oceania can offer to a passenger:

1 Free cabin upgrade on the same cruise

2 Upsell on the same cruise - higher cabin level for a fee

3 Down sell on the same cruise - lower cabin level for a refund

4 Move-over to a different cruise - usually for free and often a longer cruise/better cabin.

The last 2 can be very generous but require a sacrifice - different itinerary and dates. May be financially attractive but if it's not the itinerary you want it's worthless; or maybe you can't change your vacation, flights, etc

What Pete has been offered is #4. Yes, it is free and a better cabin but it is not the cruise he wants and thus has not taken it.

Had he been offered #1, I suspect he would have jumped on it.

I am not confusing terminology. I don't play word games.

If you are offered something more than what you have paid for, it is an upgrade and if it costs you nothing, it is then a free upgrade. It is a free upgrade to something more than you have paid for. An upsell is not relevant to this discussion as we were not being asked to buy anything.

Here is the title of Oceania's latest email offer "Choose an Alternate Voyage and Get a FREE Upgrade to PENTHOUSE SUITE!".

You are right though, if it is not an itinerary you want, then it is not worth accepting and while we considered the various offers, we chose to stay on the cruise we are on.....for the time being but, who knows, they may offer more, as a poster in another discussion of upgrades mentioned.

i am not confusing terminology. I don't play word games.

If you are offered something more than what you have paid for, it is an upgrade and if it costs you nothing, it is then a free upgrade. It is a free upgrade to something more than you have paid for. An upsell is not relevant to this discussion as we were not being asked to buy anything.

Here is the title of oceania's latest email offer "choose an alternate voyage and get a free upgrade to penthouse suite!".

You are right though, if it is not an itinerary you want, then it is not worth accepting and while we considered the various offers, we chose to stay on the cruise we are on.....for the time being but, who knows, they may offer more, as a poster in another discussion of upgrades mentioned.

ok.

Edited by Paulchili

Pete: I think you are very fortunate to be offered upsell, upgrade, move over, whatever! In several years of cruising, mostly on Princess but recently on Oceania, this is the first time we have been offered any kind of bonus - and it's not one that is worth an additional $400 IMHO. Wish I knew how the cruise lines determine who they approach with these deals.

I am not confusing terminology. I don't play word games.

Here is the title of Oceania's latest email offer "Choose an Alternate Voyage and Get a FREE Upgrade to PENTHOUSE SUITE!".

Maybe not word games but you are coming across rather abrasive to people who are trying to assist you.

I think they were being polite when they said you are confused. And then tried to explain that you have a "move over offer". So it seems to me that with your further replies you are either confused or you are wrong. But as you say…

What I believe you do not know is the terminology that is used on this board for these different offers from O.

There is an 'upsell', which is on offer to a higher category cabin for a fee, usually discounted.

There is an 'upgrade' which is to a higher category cabin at no additional charge.

Many people post that they have received an upgrade offer when it is more often what we consider an upsell offer. I know that is not in your case but that is common. An upgrade and a free upgrade are the same. If it's not free then it's an upsell.

There is a less common 'down sell' or downgrade which is an offer to a lower category cabin with some reimbursement, usually significantly more than the cost differential as an inducement to free up that cabin you are booked in.

And there is an offer that is perhaps more unique to O then other lines; that is a 'move over' or 'move off' offer which is what you have apparently received.

A "move over" will have a good inducement to release your cabin and moved to an entirely different sailing. As they are quite disruptive they usually involve moving to a higher category cabin, as that is a prime inducement, and perhaps to a longer cruise for minimal or no additional money and perhaps even some monetary consideration as inducements and to help compensate for cost that one may incur in changing their plans.

And yes that wording in your offer from O of "FREE Upgrade to PENTHOUSE SUITE!" it is indeed an upgrade but it is only part of the story because this upgrade was given to you as part of a move over offer. In other words, get off this sailing and will give you X.

The point others are trying to make is that a "free upgrade" BY ITSELF (so on the same saling) and not as part of a move-over offer is not as usual a upsell offer. A category upgrade is not uncommon as part of a move over offer. You have a move over offer.

Pete: I think you are very fortunate to be offered upsell, upgrade, move over, whatever! In several years of cruising, mostly on Princess but recently on Oceania, this is the first time we have been offered any kind of bonus - and it's not one that is worth an additional $400 IMHO. Wish I knew how the cruise lines determine who they approach with these deals.
I agree with you, it is great to receive an offer even if it's one that you don't want. Nice to be given the opportunity to decline. They don't come along often so it's entertaining at least to be on the list.

How they determine who gets an offer is indeed a great mystery of this board. No one's been able to figure out if it's determined by the great computer or how. At least if they do know, thay are not saying.

You've taken the right approach I think. You received an offer, reviewed it, made your decision. Nothing further.

And just because you received them this time doesn't mean you will or will not receive them again. All part of that mystery.

Sometimes people receive these offers and decline hoping that a better offer will come along. That can happen. But the offer isn't made to just one person at a time so someone else who received a similar offer might except that and then it is no longer available to you.

If you continue to receive offers on this sailing and you don't want to consider them further simply tell your TA and they will have O stop sending them.

In all cases though, enjoy your cruise!

i am not confusing anything. I have been offered a free upgrade to a penthouse on another cruise. It is an upgrade to what i already have.

Regardless of the move of dates or the destinations or cruise line reasons, it is a free cabin upgrade offer (with potential other incentives).

okey dokey

Wish I knew how the cruise lines determine who they approach with these deals.

If they want your cabin for a waitlist or a GTY booking they may offer you an upsell or an upgrade

Sometime O seems to offer upgrades to 1st timers on O from the lower cabins to sweeten the pot for future cruises

If you get a free upgrade or a good deal on an upsell & it works for you jump on it

JMO

I agree with you, it is great to receive an offer even if it's one that you don't want. Nice to be given the opportunity to decline. They don't come along often so it's entertaining at least to be on the list.

You've taken the right approach I think. You received an offer, reviewed it, made your decision. Nothing further.

In all cases though, enjoy your cruise!

Thanks. I get your point and will stop.

I am not new to CC forums but new to Oceania forums. I do find the discussions here very difficult to navigate and discuss. It seems other opinions or viewpoints are not welcome at all. Such as the post below.

okey dokey

Your point ?

Edited by pete_coach