Questions on Cruising German

fabby50

Hello! My husband took German in high school for three years and is back at it with a study group at work. We have never been on a river cruise, but are frequent ocean cruisers. I'd like him to be able to put those skills to work!

My question is which river cruise would you recommend to the see the most/best of Germany? Wouldn't object to a few days before/after the cruise for touring. I am planning for 2018. No kids, so I don't have to worry about what time of year. Any recommendations on time of year would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help - as with ocean cruising, I'm overwhelmed with the information on the web, but with ocean cruising, I semi know what I'm doing :)

I'm really partial to the Moselle. I think that it's the most scenic river I've cruised. I would recommend something like Viking's Paris to the Swiss Alps. You get the Moselle and the most scenic part of the Rhine. If you have a little more time (and money), I'd recommend an Amsterdam to Basel trip with the Moselle included. Vantage has a 15 day trip called Switzerland and the Heart of the Rhine & Moselle. Avalon has a 13 day Rhine & Moselle trip as well as Paris to Amsterdam and Paris to Prague cruises.

Hope this helps!

I'm really partial to the Moselle. I think that it's the most scenic river I've cruised.

Couldn't agree more...although I'm a bit biased as I used to live less than 25 minutes away and spent most weekends driving or motorcycling along the stretches between Alf and Bernkastel-Kues. Gorgeous area. I miss it.

Edited by UUNetBill

Hello fabby50,

lots of great suggestions from the previous posters. I also love the Moselle, still slightly underrepresented on (American) river cruise itineraries I find, but gaining in popularity. Hopefully 2018 will not see overcrowding yet. I am already addressing the issue of "too many people in the same place at the same time", which has been felt lately by river cruisers. For many points to consider when booking a river cruise I recommend the stickies by our host jazzbeau.

For something a bit more adventurous and potentially great for your husband is a cruise with ARosa. The German company offers the Rhine, Main and Danube for the American market on several cruises. I believe these are bi-lingual. You could check with the company if there will be a mixed crowd on your chosen date. Then you could put German into practice on the ship.

As regards time of year I would go for May/June for nice warm weather (a slight risk of flooding) or July/August if you like mild heat (no risk of flooding, very low risk of low water) or September/October for milder temperatures again and fewer crowds, i.e. no school children in towns (unless on a school outing). November can be quite cold and miserable, but the prices are lower. Christmas markets are great but you might not like the lack of light for scenic cruising.

For the individual rivers I would say: Elbe - tricky because of water issues from August onwards, few companies to choose from. Enjoyed by those who where able to sail. Great if you want to do a pre- or post-cruise in Berlin.

Rhine - Great for first timers alround. Have a look at last years roll calls for some ideas. Accents and dialects more favourable than on the Elbe. Alsatian is a dialect that is almost incomprehensible for the standard German learner, spoken in Strasbourg and the area, well, Alsace.

Moselle - My favourite, excellent for its major town Trier, usual combo with stay in Paris or in an itinerary combined with the Rhine. Avalon's 13 day itinerary is my favourite of the ones offered. Likewise usually easy accents. Have a look at this thread for some ideas: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

Main - Great for small towns and "beer country". Accents easy, but getting thicker towards Bavaria. Nuremberg (beyond the Main) is a standard embarkation port in combo with Prague as extension. You do not need to do this. You could DIY in Bavaria and leave from Munich.

Danube - Great for first-timers, but I would not include much of Austria if your aim is to practice German. Austrian German can be a challenge (one gets used to it though, relatively quickly), but of course also great fun to experience the difference. An itinerary that ends in Vienna rather than in Budapest would give you more time in German-speaking territory.

As regards extension for touring - it really depends on what you want to see. If you like DIY on holiday you can hire a car or use trains - fun to do in Europe.

For yourself - anything you have set your heart on seeing, cathedrals, shopping, speciality food, art, etc?

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

On a ship marketed to English speakers, your husband will not need any German at all and will have only a very limited chance to ever practice his language skills unless you get off the organized tours. Those, however, are included in the cruise cost. You could combine such a cruise with your own land trip in the beginning or at the end.

Check for the sticky on top to see differences between cruise lines and look for reviews.

Another option for real immersion is to book a German river cruise line and/or to organize your own land tour which may include day trips on many rivers.

Hi Fab,

Guten abend,

We will be doing "Jewels of Central Europe" on Avalon Waterways - our second cruise with them.

This voyage starts in Paris and ends in Budapest, but is almost all in Germany and Austria.

Ira