Room Service

Scottygirl1

Quick question... we will be in a standard balcony cabin on QE. If we order room service (breakfast or evening dinner) where will they serve this? Do you balance your plate on your lap or do they supply a table? I know on Oceania they had a little table behind the sofa that they put out.

You can order from the room service menu 24 hours a day. There should be an oval table in front of the sofa in your stateroom. That is what I used to eat on when I ordered room service.

Here is the picture of the stateroom.

4456_zpsd1115941.jpg

Edited by Scrapnana

Thanks, yes I saw this but wondered how you'd eat of it. I'm sure we will manage! I've also read that you can order of the main restaurant menu in the evening, is this still the case? I'm pretty sure we'll choose not to "dress up" one night so might stay in.

Thanks, yes I saw this but wondered how you'd eat of it. I'm sure we will manage! I've also read that you can order of the main restaurant menu in the evening, is this still the case? I'm pretty sure we'll choose not to "dress up" one night so might stay in.

Certainly true for Grills, although I've never tried it. Not sure about Britannia, but I think not.

OK, I got that information off here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=528&pgtype=dining

At the bottom it states that

"Room service has the usual comfort food: club sandwiches, pasta, burgers and so on, as well as the menu from the dining rooms if you want to dine in your cabin in the evening. There's no charge. We had hot room service breakfast, which arrived promptly and was nicely presented, and for lunch the balcony table and chairs were adequate for outdoor dining."

Perhaps that is out of date or perhaps the person writing this was in Grills class?

Thanks for that. Standard menu will be fine or we might go to Lido.

One thing is for sure, we won't go hungry!! Is it safe to assume then that you can order a cooked breakfast in our room? Hopefully this is not just for Grills also?

One thing is for sure, we won't go hungry!! Is it safe to assume then that you can order a cooked breakfast in our room? Hopefully this is not just for Grills also?

I'm afraid it probably is! At least the standard menu includes omelettes, which aren't available on all cruise lines.

Yes you can in Britannia: Eggs scrambled and/or fried, bacon, sausage, baked beans, hash brown potatoes, grilled tomato.

One thing that may not be obvious ( I don't recall where I first learned it; probably on CC), the oval table has a lever so you can raise it up to something closer to a table height. The mechanism has been a little stiff lately so I've had to push down on the base with my feet while lifting with my hands, but you can get 6-12 inches of additional height from it.

Yes you can in Britannia: Eggs scrambled and/or fried, bacon, sausage, baked beans, hash brown potatoes, grilled tomato.

Then it might be helpful to the OP (and others) to say how, because these aren't on the card to be hung outside the door to order breakfast.

Then it might be helpful to the OP (and others) to say how, because these aren't on the card to be hung outside the door to order breakfast.

Is this a recent change because they have been every time I have sailed on Cunard ? Our recent trip was in QG but they were certainly available in January last year and I'm sure there would have been an outcry if they had disappeared.

I know there is no hot food available on P&O at breakfast time - perhaps you were thinking of their room service card ?

Is this a recent change because they have been every time I have sailed on Cunard ? Our recent trip was in QG but they were certainly available in January last year and I'm sure there would have been an outcry if they had disappeared.

I know there is no hot food available on P&O at breakfast time - perhaps you were thinking of their room service card ?

Yes - I think you are right. We were on QM2 in October, but P&O in December and that obviously wiped my memory! (Sorry for any confusion). As an aside, one thing I like in Grills is that in the restaurant, I can order fried bread which isn't on the menu (although it is on P&O's menu, albeit not so good). Is it available to order in all the restaurants, I wonder.

Hattie's / Roy's room service card is the one we saw a couple of weeks ago on QM2. But we've also had good results just writing our special request onto the card. DW likes salmon in the morning so we just write it there ("Smoked Salmon, onions, capers") along with checking the boxes for a bagel & cream cheese and it's always been provided.

Thank you so much everyone for your replies!!! We don't eat grains (cereal, bread etc) so love to have a cooked breakfast. It's a real treat to sit on your balcony or in your room and enjoy a relaxed breakfast before starting the day.

Great tip about the oval table being raised too - that could be handy.

Now I just need to watch my diet a little more closely so that I can fit into my cocktail dresses and formal outfit!!

Partial quote

...And, yes, the oval table is a bit small so breakfast becomes a "balancing act!"

Suggestion: If you have a balcony cabin, bring the small table from the balcony into the cabin and place the tray on that...then set the oval table with your plates as needed :)

(If the balcony table is wet, give it a quick wipe with one of the pool towels found in the bathroom cabinet.)

Partial quote

Suggestion: If you have a balcony cabin, bring the small table from the balcony into the cabin and place the tray on that...then set the oval table with your plates as needed :)

(If the balcony table is wet, give it a quick wipe with one of the pool towels found in the bathroom cabinet.)

Yes, I'd read something else about using that table. We will be fine I'm sure :) Now just to enjoy two weeks in Rarotonga (Cook Islands) and then my thoughts can fully go to our mini-cruise on Cunard.

The table should have a height adjuster. I remember ours did.

Yes! You can order from the mdr menu, (non grills). For dinner.

I did this several times on queen victoria, when suffering a heavy cold.

Just have to call room service during service time.

Yay!!!!! That's fantastic! Thank you for that. We will ask when we get on board just to be sure but that's fantastic.