NCL Escape VS. Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas?

Jay_Outstanding

Planning a Spring Break cruise for my mom and I for April of this year (2017). I'm stuck between the Escape and the Harmony. Leaning more toward Escape.

Escape

• I've sailed Norwegian before and loved the breakaway
  • Their beverage and dining packages are great
  • I like the whole "freestyle cruising" thing. Not really one for dressing up for dinner every night. I'm 18 so I'm very active when I'm on the ship. Like to just munch on dinner and go back to exploring lol

Harmony

• Always hear great things about RCCL
  • The Harmony is BEAUTIFUL and they finally have water slides :D
  • They have so much to do, I won't have to worry about getting bored (since I'm too old for the teen clubs but not old enough to drink yet *rolls eyes*)

It would seem like the Escape would be a shoo in. I kind of want to try something new since she and the breakaway are practically the same ship. Another con is they have no real disco (Spice doesn't really count). The one thing that's REALLY turning me off however is the amount of people. Once again this is a spring break cruise, which means the ship will most likely be to capacity. And I've read horror stories about there being overcrowding on the ship. I love when there are lots of people on the ship but I don't love long lines, waiting years for the elevators, poor service at restaurants, and congested pool areas.

My real beef with Harmony are the ports. Cozumel and Labadee seem rather meh, and I really enjoy port days.

I just would like to hear your experiences from those of you who have been on either ship and your advice on which you think I should probably choose.

Thanks in Advance

Just go on the Escape. We sailed her in April. No matter which cruise you go on during spring break its going to be busy on board. The Escape is great for an 18 year old. Nice pools, many hot tubs, waterslides, ping pong, great ropes course, mini golf, arcade, basketball courts, darts, mini-bowling, parties, movies on the deck at night. We found more to do on the Escape then our previous RCCL cruises. What's not to like? You are going to deal with crowds on either during spring break so ........

I've been on Escape (and Getaway) and both of Harmony's sisters (Oasis and Allure). I think you've done well to identify the basic pros and cons of the choices.

I wouldn't discount Labadee too much as that's a great beach destination (unless that's not your thing). I went to Great Stirrup Cay for the first time two weeks ago and left feeling that Labadee was better in my opinion.

Since you've done the Breakaway class before, this would be a great opportunity to try the Oasis class, and doing so with Harmony's improvements would be fantastic.

As an active person, do you have a preference between the activities offered onboard each? Two level ropes course versus FlowRider and ice skating? From what I've seen, the rock wall on Oasis class appears to offer better views. How important are pools to you? Harmony's pools are far superior to Escape's in number and size.

How do the two choices compare in terms of pricing? That'd be a major factor in my decision.

On the good side, you're unlikely to go wrong with either choice! I hope you both have a great cruise on whichever you choose!

Edited by Daghis

I just would like to hear your experiences from those of you who have been on either ship and your advice on which you think I should probably choose.

I've been on Escape and on Harmony's 2 sister ships...Oasis and Allure. I recommend Harmony. I really enjoyed my Escape cruise, but the Lido deck really is a joke. Oasis Class has a lot more wow factor all throughout the ship.

Plus, you've been on Breakaway and I see you've been on a Carnival cruise. Variety is what makes crossing great, so that's another reason I suggest you try something totally new.

I've cruised Escape and Oasis, loved both. You didn't mention what your mom likes. I would say the solarium on the oasis ships is a better adult only area than H2O spice on the Escape. The layout of the Oasis does a better job of spreading the passengers throughout the ship, there were times on Escape that the 678 area of the Escape was very crowded. If the pool deck is important to you then choose Harmony. However, I found the ropes course,which includes zip lines,more fun than rock climbing and the zip line on Oasis.

"My real beef with Harmony are the ports. Cozumel and Labadee seem rather meh, and I really enjoy port days."

That's one of the deciding factors for us going with Escape again versus Harmony. My wife didn't want that itinerary, though she said she will try it the next cruise if we choose that. It's essentially the Honeymoon cruise itinerary we did minus Grand Cayman. Anywhoo, we loved Tortola, St. Thomas and Nassau, which gets a bad rap but it is what you make of it. Last year we did a power cat snorkeling/beach day excursion in St. Thomas; the Baths in Virgin Gorda; and Cable Beach in Nassau. This year, we're doing Sapphire Beach in St. Thomas; Brewer's Bay in Tortola; and Atlantis in Nassau.

I don't think you could go wrong with either ship. Good luck and have fun.

No comparison. If we are just comparing ships, Harmony without a doubt. I loved the Escape, but I would have much rather went on Harmony. I agree that the ports are not fantastic, but I think I would still rather go on Harmony. What's the price difference? If you don't mind me asking.

No comparison. If we are just comparing ships, Harmony without a doubt. I loved the Escape, but I would have much rather went on Harmony. I agree that the ports are not fantastic, but I think I would still rather go on Harmony. What's the price difference? If you don't mind me asking.

For us RCCL was almost double. We looked a suites and it was around $20,000 for the four of us for a 7 day cruise. Some higher then that. We looked at NCL and got a Haven room for about $9000 for same time span.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I have been on both.....

I really like the central park bit on the Harmony, The Wonderland restaurant is fabulous. Entertainment is good, Rubicon is fun, some of the bars lacked a bit of something. Adult seating area is great.

Escape love the restaurants on the waterfront, speciality dining is excellent, entertainment is good, bars good. H2O is really nice with the grotto for cooling off. Buffet is better and bigger.

We had a balcony room on both so would say the cabins are comparable.

Hard choice, I would say it comes down to price and port choices. Both are offering promotions at the moment such as free drinks packages.

I have been on both.....

. Both are offering promotions at the moment such as free drinks packages.

By free drinks packages, do you mean alcohol packages? Because I don't think Royal is offering any free alcohol packages right now. (I'd love it if I were wrong).;)

By free drinks packages, do you mean alcohol packages? Because I don't think Royal is offering any free alcohol packages right now. (I'd love it if I were wrong).;)

They were on UK bookings, free alcohol drinks package and 2nd person 50% off.

Now they are just doing buy one get on half price. :-(

The USD is so strong against the pound you could probably get a great deal!

It might come back......

Sorry checked again and the free drinks package and 50% off 2ns passenger is on European sailings.

Edited by SullytheBFG
update

In terms of difference, it was about $2,000 more for a large balcony room for our family of four. And, we also got the UBP, $100 in arcade tokens and 50 free photos on NCL. That plus the fact that we could MAYBE use that money to upgrade to the Haven if we had the chance was also a big factor in our choice. If we go on a cruise next year, we are thinking Harmony or Vista though - or we are also checking out MSC's new Seaside ship that will sail by then.

P.S. I see on the RCCL forum that a similar thread features RCCL fans saying NCL is a far superior product and "has always been below the other lines. I find that funny, I usually stay in 4 star or better hotels and eat at in-demand restaurants for work trips when entertaining clients. I have a hard time staying anywhere else "less" or "lower" personally. I'm pretty picky and critical when it comes to food. I wouldn't cruise on Escape again if it didn't meet my standards. I get it though, I have this pre-conceived notion about Carnival even though I've never set foot on one of their ships.

Edited by LakeWobegon

For us RCCL was almost double. We looked a suites and it was around $20,000 for the four of us for a 7 day cruise. Some higher then that. We looked at NCL and got a Haven room for about $9000 for same time span.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Oh. Well, for the price I would say go with the Escape. It is a beautiful ship with many activities. I have only sailed NCL one (the Escape), and I would say staying in the Haven MADE THE CRUISE it is an experience like no other. Have an amazing time on Norwegian Cruise Line's Norwegian Escape!!!!!!!!