Crazy question: can we share a meal in the Steakhouse?

dulcimergirl

So, I have been fighting with gastric and liver cancer for a couple of years, and can't eat much more than a few bites at a time. Up until then we always enjoyed first night's dinner at the Steakhouse. I see no reason to have to pay for two when I can just eat a few bites from my husbands dishes.

Would be fine with my Hubby, and myself, but not sure about the Steakhouse, they might just think us cheap, as well as other passengers.

I would hate for my hubby to miss it, and myself too. What do you think? Should I contact the steakhouse ahead of time and advise them? I don't know what to do...

The rules are that each person must buy a meal, no sharing. However, in Nov., 2015 I took my mother on the Magic for what would end up being her last cruise. She had been battling breast cancer for the prior year - chemo, radiation, more chemo. By the time it was cruise time, she had practically no appetite. Like you, she'd only eat a few bites then she was done. On the day we boarded the ship, I went to the steakhouse and explained the situation to them and asked if it would be ok if I just gave her a few bites off of my plate. They were very understanding, and said yes, no problem. Whether this is something they do frequently or was just a rare occasion I don't know. But my advice is to go talk to them after you board and explain the situation and see what they say.

Good luck with your battle with cancer!

Edited by bigman01

If it's truely not about the money, you shouldn't have a problem with them charging both of you the $35 pp., which is probably what will happen.

I would say go and order and see if the rest can be taken on a plate back to your cabin for a late night snack for you or your hubby.

I understand you not wanting to give up the experience. Our last cruise was our first experience in the Steakhouse and was memorable.

Edited by HawkIVette

If it's truely not about the money, you shouldn't have a problem with them charging both of you the $35 pp., which is probably what will happen.

I can certainly see OPs point, $35 when she can't enjoy her meal is a lot of money to waste that she could enjoy doing something else.

The rules are that each person must buy a meal, no sharing. However, in Nov., 2015 I took my mother on the Magic for what would end up being her last cruise. She had been battling breast cancer for the prior year - chemo, radiation, more chemo. By the time it was cruise time, she had practically no appetite. Like you, she'd only eat a few bites then she was done. On the day we boarded the ship, I went to the steakhouse and explained the situation to them and asked if it would be ok if I just gave her a few bites off of my plate. They were very understanding, and said yes, no problem. Whether this is something they do frequently or was just a rare occasion I don't know. But my advice is to go talk to them after you board and explain the situation and see what they say.

Good luck with your battle with cancer!

Hopefully they will be understanding, as long as he doesn't order two steaks or anything like that. Worst case scenario you can grab a quote from the buffet and I would think they would let you sit with him for free. NCL has switched their specialty dining to a la carte. I dont care for it but it's certainly handy in a situation like this where you'd be more comfortable paying per item than set price per person.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My mother was so embarrassed to go out to dine because she could only take a few bites. Wait staff would ask if everything was ok and once the chef came out to ask if he could make her something more to her liking. I wish I had thought to alert the restaurant in advance to her situation. All she wanted was the pleasure of dining out with friends and family.

just wanted to wish you the best on your journey to remission. I hope you enjoy every minute of your cruise.

My thoughts as well. Your time together is more important than the steak house. I would just find something light on the Lido buffet.

DH and I are gastric bypass patients and have stopped eating at the steak house because we cannot even half of the portions they serve.

I wish you best of luck in trying to convince Carnival of your health issues.

On our last cruise we were treated extremely poorly by the maitre'd in the dining room because of our diet issues. Carnival did not care at all.

DH and I are gastric bypass patients and have stopped eating at the steak house because we cannot even half of the portions they serve.

On our last cruise we were treated extremely poorly by the maitre'd in the dining room because of our diet issues. Carnival did not care at all.

Really? How can they treat you poorly because you couldn't eat a complete meal?

I had bariactric surgery and the wait staff on my cruises were very accommodating. But I had no problem ordering off the menu. Just had to request things like no sauce, etc. And I sailed on Cunard, RCCL, Carnival and Princess. Sorry to hear you had a problem.

I had bariactric surgery and the wait staff on my cruises were very accommodating. But I had no problem ordering off the menu. Just had to request things like no sauce, etc. And I sailed on Cunard, RCCL, Carnival and Princess. Sorry to hear you had a problem.

Waitstaff have never been a problem. The maitre'd has heard us ordering and he made it clear I could not have what I was ordering.

This after 3 cruises and no trouble. Some people just don't understand and to afraid to ask why you are ordering the way you are.

Waitstaff have never been a problem. The maitre'd has heard us ordering and he made it clear I could not have what I was ordering.

This after 3 cruises and no trouble. Some people just don't understand and to afraid to ask why you are ordering the way you are.

Duplicate. Sorry.

Edited by cruise pup

That is outrageous. And you say Carnival didn't care. Unbelievable!

Sorry - but "sharing" is 2 people eating. There is a per person fee, doesn't matter what you eat.

I had a situation where, I did NOT eat anything (was involved as a care giver) and enjoyed the meal with 2 others and me with a drink. Frankly that would be an acceptable solution.

Sorry - but "sharing" is 2 people eating. There is a per person fee, doesn't matter what you eat.

I had a situation where, I did NOT eat anything (was involved as a care giver) and enjoyed the meal with 2 others and me with a drink. Frankly that would be an acceptable solution.

You are correct except I would go one step further. There's eating, sharing and watching. If two people are splitting an a meal, each have a beverage, fork, spoons, knife, water refills, napkins, etc , each should be charged. If one person is just sitting in a chair without any service, then no maybe not.