Extremely disappointed with triumph

DRTerrell

Went on Carnival Triumph Jan. 2 - 7, 2017. We were forewarned that Carnival Cruise Lines was not for us. However, in order to make an all around fair estimation as to who our favorite cruise line would be, we would have to try several.

We went with no preconceived ideas, just wanted to find out how CCL was. As the topic title states, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!! This is supposed to be "The Fun" cruise line.

Although I had SEVERAL problems with this ship, if not the whole cruise line, I did have good experiences as well, so, I'll just start with those.

Our room steward, Wayan, and his assistant, who I didn't learn until the last night on board that she was ALSO HIS WIFE!!, were very nice.

Our waiter in the London dining room for 3 nights was Thadeo. Very attentive, always smiling; enjoyed having him.

Guest services representatives, Erika, Anastasia and a guy whose name I cannot fully recall but was Volo??????, were extremely helpful in several problems we encountered.

1)Right after leaving New Orleans, my daughter, who was with us along with her husband, received a text from her brother-in-law stating that her husband's grandfather passed away. Of course, they couldn't turn the ship around but, they began helping my son-in-law and daughter make plans to leave the ship when we got to Cozumel and fly back home. They were able to refund the wifi, internet and excursion they JUST purchased. Thank God, they had cruise insurance, as well. THEN, when my son-in-law found out from his parents that they would not need him home until Saturday afternoon and insisted they stay on the cruise, guest services reinstated EVERY THING. AWESOME!! They also told them that when it comes time to disembark on Saturday, they would make sure we were priority.

2)On the second day, my wife misplaced her Sail&Sign card. We went to guest services where the young man, Volo????, cancelled her first one and brought her a new one out in about 2 minutes.

The negatives were:

1)ENTERTAINMENT. On Wednesday, there was a magic show at 7 & 9 pm. We went to the 7 pm show. Before the show the Cruise Director, Tess, stated that it was "A Las Vegas style show and parental discretion is advised". On Friday, they 7 pm & 9 pm shows of The Big Easy, a musical about New Orleans. Again, we chose the 7pm show. Both shows had the Carnival Cruise Dancers. In both shows, the female dancers had thongs on under their little skirts or their dance costumes were just that, thongs. Now all of this while children are in the audience. If the comedians can tell you that their first show, 7pm, was the clean one and DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILDREN to the late show because it was ADULT RATED, why can't the other entertainment be that way as well? What child is not going to be attracted to a magic show? Why then do the assistants and dancers have to wear nothing better than butt floss to a show they know children will be at? Some of you may call me an old prude, stick-in-the-mud, etc., etc., etc.!! But I just believe in common decency and that's it.

2)As I stated before, we had a problem about my son-in-law's grandfather passing as we were leaving New Orleans. On Saturday, disembarkation day, Antoinette, the Bingo Lady, was in charge of seating everyone in the Rome theater for disembarkation. We told her our situation and that guest services knew about it and they were to be told we were in the theater. We were told by Antoinette, "you do as I say, sit over there and you will get out of here a lot sooner". Over there was in the middle of the row with people on both sides with their luggage as well as your own. My daughter went to guest services and came back with Anastasia who took us out to another holding area and handed us off to Erika. Erika told us that as soon as customs cleared the ship, we would be taken out. About 2 minutes later she returns and leads us to the security line. Off we go, we were able to get my son-in-law to the funeral home in Baton Rouge before family visitation was over.

3)24hr. ice cream, NO SUCH THING!! There are 4 ice cream machines. We have gone to get cones at 8:30p, 9:00p, at different times and there was always a problem. Either no ice cream, no cones, machine has been cleaned for the night, etc.

4)NOT MUCH TO ZERO HAND SANITIZER!! I can see why CCL has had many cases of viruses. Every other cruise line we've been on, hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. If there was not a stand somewhere, there was someone with a bottle forcing you to clean your hands before eating, getting off/on at ports, everywhere. In Progreso we were docked next to another CCL ship. They had a hand sanitizer stand by the entrance ramp. 15 to 20 feet away was our ship, ZERO HAND SANITIZER TO BE FOUND!! Good thing I brought my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went on Carnival Triumph Jan. 2 - 7, 2017. We were forewarned that Carnival Cruise Lines was not for us. However, in order to make an all around fair estimation as to who our favorite cruise line would be, we would have to try several.

We went with no preconceived ideas, just wanted to find out how CCL was. As the topic title states, EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED!! This is supposed to be "The Fun" cruise line.

Although I had SEVERAL problems with this ship, if not the whole cruise line, I did have good experiences as well, so, I'll just start with those.

Our room steward, Wayan, and his assistant, who I didn't learn until the last night on board that she was ALSO HIS WIFE!!, were very nice.

Our waiter in the London dining room for 3 nights was Thadeo. Very attentive, always smiling; enjoyed having him.

Guest services representatives, Erika, Anastasia and a guy whose name I cannot fully recall but was Volo??????, were extremely helpful in several problems we encountered.

1)Right after leaving New Orleans, my daughter, who was with us along with her husband, received a text from her brother-in-law stating that her husband's grandfather passed away. Of course, they couldn't turn the ship around but, they began helping my son-in-law and daughter make plans to leave the ship when we got to Cozumel and fly back home. They were able to refund the wifi, internet and excursion they JUST purchased. Thank God, they had cruise insurance, as well. THEN, when my son-in-law found out from his parents that they would not need him home until Saturday afternoon and insisted they stay on the cruise, guest services reinstated EVERY THING. AWESOME!! They also told them that when it comes time to disembark on Saturday, they would make sure we were priority.

2)On the second day, my wife misplaced her Sail&Sign card. We went to guest services where the young man, Volo????, cancelled her first one and brought her a new one out in about 2 minutes.

The negatives were:

1)ENTERTAINMENT. On Wednesday, there was a magic show at 7 & 9 pm. We went to the 7 pm show. Before the show the Cruise Director, Tess, stated that it was "A Las Vegas style show and parental discretion is advised". On Friday, they 7 pm & 9 pm shows of The Big Easy, a musical about New Orleans. Again, we chose the 7pm show. Both shows had the Carnival Cruise Dancers. In both shows, the female dancers had thongs on under their little skirts or their dance costumes were just that, thongs. Now all of this while children are in the audience. If the comedians can tell you that their first show, 7pm, was the clean one and DO NOT BRING YOUR CHILDREN to the late show because it was ADULT RATED, why can't the other entertainment be that way as well? What child is not going to be attracted to a magic show? Why then do the assistants and dancers have to wear nothing better than butt floss to a show they know children will be at? Some of you may call me an old prude, stick-in-the-mud, etc., etc., etc.!! But I just believe in common decency and that's it.

2)As I stated before, we had a problem about my son-in-law's grandfather passing as we were leaving New Orleans. On Saturday, disembarkation day, Antoinette, the Bingo Lady, was in charge of seating everyone in the Rome theater for disembarkation. We told her our situation and that guest services knew about it and they were to be told we were in the theater. We were told by Antoinette, "you do as I say, sit over there and you will get out of here a lot sooner". Over there was in the middle of the row with people on both sides with their luggage as well as your own. My daughter went to guest services and came back with Anastasia who took us out to another holding area and handed us off to Erika. Erika told us that as soon as customs cleared the ship, we would be taken out. About 2 minutes later she returns and leads us to the security line. Off we go, we were able to get my son-in-law to the funeral home in Baton Rouge before family visitation was over.

3)24hr. ice cream, NO SUCH THING!! There are 4 ice cream machines. We have gone to get cones at 8:30p, 9:00p, at different times and there was always a problem. Either no ice cream, no cones, machine has been cleaned for the night, etc.

4)NOT MUCH TO ZERO HAND SANITIZER!! I can see why CCL has had many cases of viruses. Every other cruise line we've been on, hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. If there was not a stand somewhere, there was someone with a bottle forcing you to clean your hands before eating, getting off/on at ports, everywhere. In Progreso we were docked next to another CCL ship. They had a hand sanitizer stand by the entrance ramp. 15 to 20 feet away was our ship, ZERO HAND SANITIZER TO BE FOUND!! Good thing I brought my own.

First off, sorry for the family loss. A couple of comments. Might want to recheck your stats on sickness on board. Rccl has a much worse record and while I have not looked in a while, Carnival leads industry health screenings. In regards to ice cream, there are multiple ones and usually (every one of our 34 Carnival cruises) I have never not found at least one machine open. In regards to entertainment, you have a pretty conservative view of costumes but your view is your view. Happy sailing.

Sent from my iPhone

As others have said, my condolences to your son-in-law...

The curious thing is, you mentioned in your review many more things that went right, where Carnival went above and beyond, than you did negative things! So that doesn't exactly align with the title of your review! It sounds to me like Carnival was a big success in most areas!

As for the dress code in the shows, I understand your concern even if I don't agree with it. But as far as I'm concerned we will see much more nudity, less common decency, in an hour of prime time TV than we will in a Carnival show! It's very much a sign of the times, I'm afraid!

The negatives were:

Extremely disappointed because they warn you it's a vegas style show and you don't believe them? The dancers are wearing more than what a person would see on people at the beach.

Extremely disappointed because you couldn't eat ice cream and no sanitizer?

Yes those things may be annoying but to act like the cruise was a bust is a bit overdramatic. And btw sanitizer gives a false sense of clean. It doesn't kill everything and kills good bacteria. And many don't use it because it's hard on the skin. Good hand washing is all that is necessary.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I am sorry for your brother-in-law's loas. Think back, you had more good things than bad sports give it another try. I learn never to trust my first impression because things can go wrong that first time that probably won't happen again.

Of course the shows won't change but there are plenty of other things to keep you entertained. If after your second cruise you feel the same then, of course, try another cruise line.

Edited by lady_cruiser

Hi there

Not much I can say. It did seem to me like the Carnival crew did what they could to be helpful for your family.

I can't help notice that this is your first post on this site. Welcome to cruise critic.

Just so you are aware, Carnival has a very good reputation and don't have a high incidence of viruses on board. As you mentioned those other cruise lines that have the hand sanitizers everywhere, and even some that watch you use them...those lines go to that extreme because they do have a high incidence of people getting sick and are just trying to cut down the issue.

hope this helps

Sorry for your family's loss. That is very sad and a horrible way to begin a vacation.

Sorry you did not enjoy your cruise due to the lack of 24 hour ice cream, granny panties and hand sanitizer. Hope you find a cruise line that is better suited to your needs.

Edited by Can'tWait2SetSail

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Sorry you were disappointed by the lack of imitation soft serve, standard entertainment costumes and ineffective hand sanitizer.

I hope your family has sufficient time to grieve before you embark on trying another line that won't fail you so miserably.

Extremely disappointed because they warn you it's a vegas style show and you don't believe them? The dancers are wearing more than what a person would see on people at the beach.

Extremely disappointed because you couldn't eat ice cream and no sanitizer?

Yes those things may be annoying but to act like the cruise was a bust is a bit overdramatic. And btw sanitizer gives a false sense of clean. It doesn't kill everything and kills good bacteria. And many don't use it because it's hard on the skin. Good hand washing is all that is necessary.

Sorry for their loss but their negatives were not very negative IMHO.

Sorry for the lost. Your review does not seem all that bad and although I loved my 2 Triumph cruises last year, I understand it's not a favorite of some others. As for the hand sanitizers and virus claim, you're wayyyy off.

Ice Cream is always available at at least one of the machines. Usually one in the back part of the lido. There is also the location of the 24 hour coffee, cocoa, and lemonade. Again ONE location out of the four and usually Aft Port Side.

Few years ago, we were on a ship where the dancers in the late show would sometimes be topless. Anyway kids would see bare butts and giggle that the girls' had bare butts. That is all that happens to kids.

Since someone told you that Carnival would not be your kind of cruise, I feel that you went on the Cruise looking for things to complain about.

Live life robustly. You very seldom get a second chance.

Ice Cream is always available at at least one of the machines. Usually one in the back part of the lido. There is also the location of the 24 hour coffee, cocoa, and lemonade. Again ONE location out of the four and usually Aft Port Side.

Few years ago, we were on a ship where the dancers in the late show would sometimes be topless. Anyway kids would see bare butts and giggle that the girls' had bare butts. That is all that happens to kids.

Never heard of a show on a cruise ship where female dancers went topless:eek:

If someone forewarned me that something I might not like and I don't listen to them it's either I don't think much of those friends or they don't know me well.

From what I read in your post maybe you title is a tad exaggerated "extremely disappointed" to me it seems that this cruise line has went above and beyond to help and correct and situation you had.

I think even before you left you knew who was your favorite cruise line but maybe the price or itinerary made up pick Carnival.

In my opinion and that is my own I think you should listen more closely to your friends next time before ignoring them. Don't forget they did tell you that this line was not for you because of thongs and hand sanitizer.

Oh ! By the way welcome to CC

Eric

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The negatives were:

2)As I stated before, we had a problem about my son-in-law's grandfather passing as we were leaving New Orleans. On Saturday, disembarkation day, Antoinette, the Bingo Lady, was in charge of seating everyone in the Rome theater for disembarkation. We told her our situation and that guest services knew about it and they were to be told we were in the theater. We were told by Antoinette, "you do as I say, sit over there and you will get out of here a lot sooner". Over there was in the middle of the row with people on both sides with their luggage as well as your own. My dau<script id="gpt-impl-0.48796862163881316" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_107.js"></script>ghter went to guest services and came back with Anastasia who took us out to another holding area and handed us off to Erika. Erika told us that as soon as customs cleared the ship, we would be taken out. About 2 minutes later she returns and leads us to the security line. Off we go, we were able to get my son-in-law to the funeral home in Baton Rouge before family visitation was over.

Your basis of a disastrous cruise is vegas style costumes, ice cream and hand sanitizer??? Strange.

Sorry for your families loss, as you stated though, Carnival handled it extremely well as they are known to.

Not sure what kind of cruise or vacation would have been better--good luck

The negatives were:

FWIW, the common cruise ship virus is the common norovirus - what most people call the stomach "flu". Hand sanitizer is ethanol based and has absolutely no effect on norovirus. There's actually some studies that show hand sanitizer makes it spread faster. It takes soap and water to clean your hands and keep it from spreading, and that's why the newer Carnival ships have those cool hand washing machines at the entrance to the lido buffet. The cruise lines that push the sanitizer do it as a fell good thing for the guests. They know it has no real effect on the stomach flu.

I wasn't aware that it was ice cream. Tastes more like ice milk. Tried once and never had again in my 15 plus Carnival cruises. I love carnival. More bang for your buck.

I read the ingredients of what went into it a few years ago and that was the end of us eating this stuff.

The list of ingredients went on and on and on.