Accounting/Financial Jobs on RCCL

jimbo87

Hey!

After five fantastic cruises on Royal Caribbean, I am looking to join the staff/crew of RCCL in a shipboard financial services role (I have no delusions about vacations vs. working on board by the way)! I've been doing a lot of research, and am very familiar with Royal's two hiring websites and those of their hiring partners. I can't, however, find any detailed information about financial service positions on board. There is some very vague information available, but I am looking for detailed lists of duties and required experience for apprentice pursers, administrator pursers, and payroll pursers.

If anyone happens to have any information to share, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Jim

I have seen very few Americans working on a ship.

They were all musicians, and one was the cruise director.

So I am going to assume the pay is subpar compared to the States, and the working conditions are not very good.

Edited by matj2000

If you are dead serious, consider working as a night auditor or in accounting admin office at a large full service hotel or RCCL Miami office and go from there. Cruise ship is a high volume office admin center that is no place for untrained or inexperienced accounting rookie unfamiliar with hospitality industry. That said, knowing RCCL President or VP Finance will always help to get your foot in the door.

Thanks sfaaa,

That sounds like good advice. I've been a financial analyst for the federal government, and part of the accounting/mgmt team for a retail company, and am currently brushing up on the skills that I think would be applicable. I'm trying to get more info on exactly what these people do each day so I can train for a while before applying. Thanks again!

Will you be taking a cruise again soon? If so, try to get to talk to one of the pursers. Not only to see how best to go about securing a position, but also to see if it's a good career move from his or her perspective. Good luck.

All good advice above. Job sites like "allcruisejobs.com", "cruiselinejobs.com", and "jobmonkey.com" have brief job descriptions and duties, maybe you've already seen these. Then the next is to contact the cruise lines directly and speak to HR.

Know that the pursers' jobs entail more than financial matters, as the pursers are the ones who handle all immigration details for passengers and crew, preparing manifests, etc.

Thanks sfaaa,

That sounds like good advice. I've been a financial analyst for the federal government, and part of the accounting/mgmt team for a retail company, and am currently brushing up on the skills that I think would be applicable. I'm trying to get more info on exactly what these people do each day so I can train for a while before applying. Thanks again!

Well they work about 12 hrs a day 7 days a week for much less than min wage

Not really true for pursers. From what I've seen, purser jobs pay between $2500-5500/month, depending on the position, so the bottom jobs are just below minimum wage. However, it must be noted that there is no wage during vacation between contracts, so if you are working a 4 month on/ 4 off, or a 4 on/ 2 off schedule, the annual pay needs to be adjusted by 1/3 to 1/2.

nope. Pursers would be considered staff, not crew, so make relatively competitive salaries. its not going to be six figures, obviously, but when you factor in room and board is provided and other amenities/perks , its not that bad.

nope. Pursers would be considered staff, not crew, so make relatively competitive salaries. its not going to be six figures, obviously, but when you factor in room and board is provided and other amenities/perks , its not that bad.

Again, I disregard the "room and board" issue, since unless the person packs up all their worldly belongings and sells them every time they join the ship, the family back home needs a home (or an empty apartment while the single person is on the ship) and food.

Again, I disregard the "room and board" issue, since unless the person packs up all their worldly belongings and sells them every time they join the ship, the family back home needs a home (or an empty apartment while the single person is on the ship) and food.
But if you are currently living in Mom & Dad's basement, your financial considerations are different.:rolleyes: I'm not being totally sarcastic, as I have talked to Cruise Director Staff, singers, etc whose "permanent residence" shoreside was still with Mom & Dad (but many spent much of their time between contracts traveling - ah, to be young and footloose). Seems like that is a way for US/Canadians to be able to handle entry level pay on cruise ships (and I'm guessing that Purser jobs pay more than CD staff).

Will you be taking a cruise again soon? If so, try to get to talk to one of the pursers. Not only to see how best to go about securing a position, but also to see if it's a good career move from his or her perspective. Good luck.

Maybe deduct the cruise cost from a tax perspective! :)

We are from Canada and we met a young lady on the ship from Canada who was working in the accounting department.

This is encouraging to hear! I am from Canada too, maybe we're all just trying to escape the cold weather! :D

But if you are currently living in Mom & Dad's basement, your financial considerations are different.:rolleyes: I'm not being totally sarcastic, as I have talked to Cruise Director Staff, singers, etc whose "permanent residence" shoreside was still with Mom & Dad (but many spent much of their time between contracts traveling - ah, to be young and footloose). Seems like that is a way for US/Canadians to be able to handle entry level pay on cruise ships (and I'm guessing that Purser jobs pay more than CD staff).

Well I'm not in the parents' basement situation, but I recently sold my house and am looking for a new adventure and career opportunity. I'm late twenties with no significant other, kids, or bills that I can't eliminate.

From what I see, purser jobs (accounting jobs on RCCL, not to be confused with Guest Services staff that are called pursers on some other lines) pay a little more than cruise staff, but not a whole lot at the beginning. The pay only makes sense at all when you factor in room and board.

I currently work for my family's business, so I am very familiar with 12 hour days and long weeks!

Always good insight from a experienced professional.

We are from Canada and we met a young lady on the ship from Canada who was working in the accounting department.

Did she happen to indicate how she got the job or what her title/duties were? Would love to hear if you know! Thanks!

Well I'm not in the parents' basement situation, but I recently sold my house and am looking for a new adventure and career opportunity. I'm late twenties with no significant other, kids, or bills that I can't eliminate.

From what I see, purser jobs (accounting jobs on RCCL, not to be confused with Guest Services staff that are called pursers on some other lines) pay a little more than cruise staff, but not a whole lot at the beginning. The pay only makes sense at all when you factor in room and board.

I currently work for my family's business, so I am very familiar with 12 hour days and long weeks!

Hi... I'm very familiar with financial work onboard... they don't have ship pursers any more (RCCL) they called now, Financial Controller. Is a 3 strip position which gives you your own room and extremely decent schedule (No 12 hours shift). The I don't know is if Royal hire directly to that position since depend on the ship they have one or two assistance working very long hours (2 strips officers) which are the one next in line to fill the financial controller positions.

Sailor...

Hi... I'm very familiar with financial work onboard... they don't have ship pursers any more (RCCL) they called now, Financial Controller. Is a 3 strip position which gives you your own room and extremely decent schedule (No 12 hours shift). The I don't know is if Royal hire directly to that position since depend on the ship they have one or two assistance working very long hours (2 strips officers) which are the one next in line to fill the financial controller positions.

Sailor...

Thanks for the info! Do you know anything about the entry-level positions in financial work? Duties or experience requirements?