Is the post-partial-refurb Adventure of the Seas really that "bad?"

BHannis

Please keep in mind that adding additional cabins does not help to make the ship look renovated in public areas and other cabins, it just makes it more crowded. Also changing lounges and adding pay restaurants does not help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hi all,

Thanks for the many comments- some of you asked what concerns I had specifically, and while I don't have any specific ones my concerns mainly arose from reading some recent reviews (both here & elsewhere) from Diamond & other frequent cruisers who comment that their last sailing on the Adventure was disappointing and unbecoming of a 'typical' Royal Caribbean cruise experience in general. There's always criticism on this and that for each ship that you have to filter through, but it was the recent comments from the well-seasoned cruisers that concerned me.

One of the best comments I read after originally posting this called the whole thing "Refurbus Interruptus", but noted many of the issues seem to have been resolved recently.. I appreciate all of your comments so far, it's really helped me read between the lines of some of the recent reviews out there. Hopefully this thread can help others who run into the same.

In any case, I went ahead and booked us on the May 27th sailing because we didn't want to miss the opportunity to see the southern ports- I know we'll still have an incredible time, it's almost impossible not to!

So glad you booked it. I think you will enjoy!

We just got off the Adventure Saturday- the only thing that we could see that was obvious was Chops- which had a sign saying it was soon to open.

The Flowrider and water slides were all operating properly (and were really fun, too!).

There are supposed to be more cabins added, but other than a hint at a wet dock, not sure when this will happen.

Thanks for that update. As far as I can remember, the additional cabins are not scheduled yet. I'll be on in May, watch for my updates.

Interesting to read this as when we were there in Dec we were told that the CL would remain the CL and the SL would not happen. Had never heard that the DL was supposed to move to the card room and the current DL would become the SL. That is "new" "news".

We were told the "additional" staterooms would not be added. They were "scrapped" from the plans as some of these rooms were part of the "mangled" materials during the hurricane.

We got off the Adventure on Saturday. Ryno,the CL told us that the SL would not happen until 2018. We were staying on a Grand suite and our kids had an interior in front of us. Our room looked good, better than the OS we had two years ago, but our children's room needed a good refurbish. Were told that the rooms will be refurbished in 2018 too. Don't flame me please, but IMHO, they should upgrade the rooms in San Juan, shouldn't be too difficult. We were sold many improvements and I understand that some containers got damaged in Freeport. I still think that this is a 16 y/o ship and really needs some upgrades.

The itinerary was great, the staff and entertainment was also really good. Food decent, no complains. Our children enjoyed the Flowrider and the new water slides a lot. Will be back in June for our daughter's Senior trip.

Happy cruising everyone.

Edited by drarill

When we cruised Adventure pre mini refurb back in October 2015 we thought the ship was great. We cruise to have a good time on vacation visiting ports that we have never been to. We have cruised on older ships than Adventure and we get on and prepare for an exciting week of vacation. We have never looked around the ship and discussed what could be improved here and there. Never discussed the carpet needing replaced or the room furniture is dated, etc, etc. I just don't get it, but hey that is just me.

The only thing I noticed as a negative change is that they don't have the days of the week in the carpet on elevators. Which at first I didn't like buy then I noticed I wasn't having the day by day depending depression that the cruise is ending. I knew what day it was but wasn't getting sadder. So maybe the elevator "calendar" had been causing the sadness of time passing?

Hardly anything to avoid adventure over. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I noticed as a negative change is that they don't have the days of the week in the carpet on elevators. Which at first I didn't like buy then I noticed I wasn't having the day by day depending depression that the cruise is ending. I knew what day it was but wasn't getting sadder. So maybe the elevator "calendar" had been causing the sadness of time passing?

Hardly anything to avoid adventure over. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could have changed but in Dec we were told that the "days of the week" would be back in the elevators sometime in January. Supposedly the new inserts (to match the new carpet) were in production and estimated completion sometime in January.

We did a b2b over Christmas and as always had a wonderful time on AOS. As was mentioned above you are always going to find rust on ships and things missing or broken. Normal when thousands are using the facilities each week. No date on Chops yet. Slide, flowrider and two story mini golf are all in place and were functioning and well used. Cabins were fine. Not new contemporary refurb but certainly comfortable and well kept up as far as cleanliness.

We sail AOS for the ports and because it has one of the most friendly staffs of any ship in the fleet and it didn't disappoint in that regard. Sucel, diamond lounge concierge, is one of the best around. Food in windjammer was always hot and service of the staff was great. MDMRhad trouble getting out hot food but that tends to be a fleet wide problem.

Most disappointing is the shows. We did enjoy Spectrum which periodically come on Rccl ships and there was a special ice show just for Christmas. The singers and dancers are okay but the sound person was horrible. The orchestra mikes constantly overpowered the singers. There was no balance with regard to lead singers being miked louder than the backup parts, in fact you often couldn't hear the melody. And the sound was so loud most people plugged their ears or wore earplugs. It clearly is the person running sound that is either deaf or has a horrible ear for sound.

We love AOS and will continue sailing her. A refurb would never affect our choice of a ship.

If you are worried about new paint and carpet you may have trouble finding any ship satisfying you. Go and have fun. You are getting to do something many only dream of. Enjoy each other, the beauty of the sea and ports, meeting new people, warm weather and a chance to relax. Rust and stains don't need to affect that. Bon voyage.

Just boarded today. The ship looks great! I was just on a sailing in 7/16. Here is what I have noticed so far:

-Flow rider and new slides are fantastic!

-10 hand washing stations as you enter the Windjammer

-2 new Freestyle Coke machines in Windjammer and 2 in Promenade.

-New golf course looks better than the last one

-Huge hot tub in Gym is GONE! OH NO! I loved this hot tub!

-Slashaway Bay is cute and my DD loves it.

-There has been new carpet put on the actual stairs but not on the landings.

I will post again once I see more of the ship.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

We'll be on AOS in June for daughter's senior trip. Curious if there are big showers in the gym area to utilize instead of the tiny cabin showers.

Yes, there are showers in the changing area.

Just boarded today. The ship looks great! I was just on a sailing in 7/16. Here is what I have noticed so far:

-Flow rider and new slides are fantastic!

-10 hand washing stations as you enter the Windjammer

-2 new Freestyle Coke machines in Windjammer and 2 in Promenade.

-New golf course looks better than the last one

-Huge hot tub in Gym is GONE! OH NO! I loved this hot tub!

-Slashaway Bay is cute and my DD loves it.

-There has been new carpet put on the actual stairs but not on the landings.

I will post again once I see more of the ship.

I'm glad to hear the Freestyle coke machines made it on, I thought they weren't putting those on any more ships.

Have you guys used them? Any issues?

We booked one of the "NEW" cabins for our first b2b for July/Aug. Reading this thread it seems that the cabins won't be available until 2018. If this is the case does RCCL assign a different cabin or do they just cancel it? We're little concerned because we booked our flights already.

Thanks for any advice.

We booked one of the "NEW" cabins for our first b2b for July/Aug. Reading this thread it seems that the cabins won't be available until 2018. If this is the case does RCCL assign a different cabin or do they just cancel it? We're little concerned because we booked our flights already.

Thanks for any advice.

Contact RCCL or your TA for your options. At this point you can in time, you can your RCCL payments refunded.

Thanks for any advice.

I would contact your TA asap. I would "think" RC would have notified all TA's by now for all weeks that had these "new" cabins....but maybe not. I would get my TA to be proactive about it while there are still other cabins available.

I reached out to TA on Friday, unfortunately for us , great for him, he's on vacation till the end of the month. I called RCCL this morning and the rep assured me that ALL scheduled refurbs were completed and told me to contact TA, I chuckled. It's crazy that I can't find out if the cabin is there or not.

Oh well, I suppose there are more important things to worry about until he comes home. Thanks for the responses

I'm glad to hear the Freestyle coke machines made it on, I thought they weren't putting those on any more ships.

Have you guys used them? Any issues?

There are 4 on the entire ship. There are 2 in the Windjammer and two in the promenade. I just ordered a coke from the sky bar. He poured from a can. I asked if the fountain soda was working. He told me that they are getting rid of all fountain sofa and going to cans and the freestyle machines only.

As far as I can tell, they are working okay. I saw one of them getting worked on on the first day. I have used them several times.

There are 4 on the entire ship. There are 2 in the Windjammer and two in the promenade. I just ordered a coke from the sky bar. He poured from a can. I asked if the fountain soda was working. He told me that they are getting rid of all fountain sofa and going to cans and the freestyle machines only.

As far as I can tell, they are working okay. I saw one of them getting worked on on the first day. I have used them several times.

Thanks!!! Another question and in the grand scheme of things.....not all that important, but did they have Coke Zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks!!! Another question and in the grand scheme of things.....not all that important, but did they have Coke Zero?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm pretty sure they do. They have flavors I have never even heard of. I'll check for you.