Told by Border Patrol Agent to NOT use Mobile Passport Application

chiguypaul

I just returned back to Port Everglades today and had the mobile application ready to use. I also filled out the paper customs form just in case.

I was told by the Customs agent to NOT use the Mobile Passport application because it takes to long for them to process compared to the traditional paper version.

This sounds like a major failure in the program when the agents are rejecting the program because the new method is longer and slower than the older method.

I just returned back to Port Everglades today and had the mobile application ready to use. I also filled out the paper customs form just in case.

I was told by the Customs agent to NOT use the Mobile Passport application because it takes to long for them to process compared to the traditional paper version.

This sounds like a major failure in the program when the agents are rejecting the program because the new method is longer and slower than the older method.

Which terminal or ship were you on? On Nov 5, terminal at Pier 18 for Harmony processed us mega quick.

I was on the Allure. Agent was adamant about the new system being worse than the traditional paper system.

Sounds like the agent doesn't like change too much. Going through that now at work with a new records management system. Some are excited and there are quite a few groaners.

Sounds like the agent doesn't like change too much. Going through that now at work with a new records management system. Some are excited and there are quite a few groaners.

I hear this at work all the time from the IT and management people who keep developing new and "better" ways for us to do our job. Of course, they never ask the people doing the job if we think it's a better way or if we think something should be changed! I'm not at all afraid of change if it's change that is better, faster and more helpful. But . . . not all change is!! Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better (sometimes it just justifies someones job).

Change just for the sake of change is not necessarily better.

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I'm not at all afraid of change if it's change that is better, faster and more helpful. But . . . not all change is!! Just because it's new doesn't mean it's better (sometimes it just justifies someones job).

Change just for the sake of change is not necessarily better.

Bingo, we have a winner!:D

Did they specify exactly how or why it supposedly takes longer?

From my experience using the app a few times, unless they have some sort of system/computer difficulty with the barcode, I don't see how this could make sense. You show your passport, they scan the barcode on the app and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did they specify exactly how or why it supposedly takes longer?

From my experience using the app a few times, unless they have some sort of system/computer difficulty with the barcode, I don't see how this could make sense. You show your passport, they scan the barcode on the app and you're done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Which is exactly how it works. The app creates a "receipt" for you to go through customs and use. It's a square QR code, and their scanner read ours on the first pass.

• 11 months later...

Same for us early this year in Port Everglades. They opened a line for MOBILE PASSPORT and the agent said it's too slow, looked at our passports and waived us through.

bosco.

I could use either Global Entry or the Mobile Passport App. Which is the better option upon disembarkation?

Whichever line is shorter. If you don’t have your Global Entry card on you (and I know you aren’t supposed to take those with you but the folks there think you should), you’ll be getting in the Mobile Passport line