Having a hard time choosing excursion. Please help!

fendawg42

I am going on Carnival Glory next week and I have narrowed it down to three options and need opinions.

We would like to do Stingrays and the beach....

1. Stingray city sandbar and rum point

beach safari

2. Stingray city sandbar and tiki beach combo

3. Or doing Stingray city excursion and then hopping in a cab and heading to the beach on own.

A couple of my concerns are how far away is Rum point away from the Boat? I would rather spend the time on the beach rather than a bus.

Would we have enough time after option 3 to go to the beach on are own?

Thank in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am going on Carnival Glory next week and I have narrowed it down to three options and need opinions.

We would like to do Stingrays and the beach....

1. Stingray city sandbar and rum point

beach safari

2. Stingray city sandbar and tiki beach combo

3. Or doing Stingray city excursion and then hopping in a cab and heading to the beach on own.

A couple of my concerns are how far away is Rum point away from the Boat? I would rather spend the time on the beach rather than a bus.

Would we have enough time after option 3 to go to the beach on are own?

Thank in advance!

What companies are you looking at for these excursions?

Rum Point is fairly far from the cruise port and a taxi would be pretty expensive. I did read where a bus route now goes to Rum Point, but you'd want to make sure what time they'll have a return trip.

We've been to Rum Point a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The first time was with Nativeway tours (Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour) and the second time we rented a car and spent some time at Rum Point.

If we wanted to go there again I think I'd just use the Nativeway tour. Not as much time at the beach but you don't need to worry about planning anything and they do an A++++ tour.

Oh yeah didn't mean going to Rum Point on own...of course there would be no time for that after the Stingrays unless on the excursions

I meant Seven Mile Beach. Still looking for advice on the excursions. Thanks.

Oh yeah didn't mean going to Rum Point on own...of course there would be no time for that after the Stingrays unless on the excursions

I meant Seven Mile Beach. Still looking for advice on the excursions. Thanks.

Almost any private excursion company (i.e. non-cruise line) will happily drop you off along SMB after the excursion. Then just take a taxi back to the ship when you're done.

Rum Point is fairly far from the cruise port and a taxi would be pretty expensive. I did read where a bus route now goes to Rum Point, but you'd want to make sure what time they'll have a return trip.

We've been to Rum Point a couple of times and really enjoyed it. The first time was with Nativeway tours (Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour) and the second time we rented a car and spent some time at Rum Point.

If we wanted to go there again I think I'd just use the Nativeway tour. Not as much time at the beach but you don't need to worry about planning anything and they do an A++++ tour.

We decided to rent a car and go to Rum Point but I have a question or two for you. Where did you rent car from and how did you get to the rental place? I can't walk too far and hoping that we can get a cab right at the tender drop off to the rental. How long would it take to get there and get the car and be on the road? We will be on the first tender at 7:00 can we get to the rental and drive to Rum Point and be there for a 9:00 excursion on the glass bottom boat?

I keep forgetting to take the phone number of a car rental place to work to call them to get some info. on if this is possible and it's just too busy at work to spend much time on this (I work at an elementary school).;)

Most of the major US car rental chains have an office at the airport in Cayman. If you have a preference, just check the website for your favorite.

There are two local companies along Seven Mile Beach, a bit closer to the port. With mobility concerns, you'd still want a cab to get there, however.

Andy's (andys.ky) is our usual rental place, but pricing and offerings are going to be very similar no matter who you rent from.

*If* everything goes well, and you are on that first tender, and there's no lines, and no traffic, and you don't take any wrong turns, etc - yes, you might make it to Rum Point in time for the 9am excursion...just. It will be really close, though.

It's really going to be a case of your comfort level with possibly missing it if there are any glitches in the travel plans.

We decided to rent a car and go to Rum Point but I have a question or two for you. Where did you rent car from and how did you get to the rental place? ........

I think we rented it from Avis, but they picked us up close to the port. We got off early like you plan to do but they didn't pick us up until about 9; maybe if we had taken a taxi to the airport it would have been quicker since that is where the rental office is anyway.

It's not really that far to Rum Point, but we stopped at a lot of places on the way, but if I had to guess you could get there in about 45 minutes.

Coming back we had to drop the car off at the airport and catch one of their shuttles back to the port. There was a slow moving line and I started getting nervous about our time, but we wound up making it back in time. Maybe by renting from Andy's you could avoid part of that.

Here is an older thread with some good info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=339410

Keep in mind that they drive on the left side of the road and most rentals are right hand drive. I was able to select a left hand drive car so it wasn't too bad, but we ran into a couple of roundabouts so if you're not familiar with them do a search. Driving there wasn't too bad at all (not a lot of traffic) and the other drivers seemed pretty courteous.

I was also going to suggest a private excursion. We have done stingrays twice now with Stingray Sailing. Great company, great tour! They meet right at pier, take you to the boat. After the tour, they will drop you off at Seven Mike Beach.

Just another suggestion to think about...: