Suggestions for new cruisers???

Aria924

Hi everyone! I will be going on my first cruise in May to Key West and Cozumel on the Sensation! I am super excited and have done lots and lots of research on cruising but still love new info :)

Can anyone give tips on packing, traveling from out of state, formal night, picking excursions (best to buy through Carnival or buy from locals), storage in staterooms and just any other interesting tips or stories would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My two major tips:

Read the faqs on Carnival's website. It will answer questions you haven't thought of.

Make sure starting today your required documents are in order, i.e. current passport or approved birth certificate. A few really disappointed folks are prevented from boarding for lack of sufficient/current id.

We LOVED Key West. I envy you having your first cruise. Enjoy!

I always book private excursions. They are more affordable than booking with the cruise ship, and often allow more time to enjoy the port. Check out the ports of call forum for advice on reputable companies. Plan to get back to the ship an hour before the deadline to allow for any glitches in traffic, etc.

Hi everyone! I will be going on my first cruise in May to Key West and Cozumel on the Sensation! I am super excited and have done lots and lots of research on cruising but still love new info :)

Can anyone give tips on packing, traveling from out of state, formal night, picking excursions (best to buy through Carnival or buy from locals), storage in staterooms and just any other interesting tips or stories would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much :)

Don't overpack as many do! Don't fret the little things, nothing is going to be perfect!

A good attitude will go a long way to ENJOY the cruise.

Pack your pool stuff (swimsuit, flip-flops, etc.) in your carry on luggage so you can use the pool on day 1 and not have to wait for your luggage to be delivered. I'll even move my sunscreen from my checked luggage after a flight since it's not allowed on the plane.

Lots of recommendations on the Ports of Call boards or just ask for some. I love to go snorkeling so I usually do that in Port and both Key West and Cozumel are terrific for that.

Edited by cruise pup

Go in with a positive attitude and you will have a positive experience!

That being said, on the first day get a ship map and take 30 minutes to walk the ship. ( you don't need to walk down all the passenger decks, but try to hit the public ones) Most people get upset when they keep getting lost, or miss things they did not know where there till the stumble on them the last day.

If at all possible get to the port the day before. You don't want to miss your cruise because you got stuck in traffic, or the airports shut down due to snow/bad weather ( looking outside now at all my ice, I would be devastated)

At dinner in the main dinning room (MDR) you can order more than 1 of anything, so 2 apps if they interest you, or no apps and two entries, totally up to you.

Have fun!

If you're looking for just a beach day in Cozumel, I highly recommend Nachi Cocom. It's an all inclusive and limited to only 100 people a day (so you have to make a reservation in advance). It's an absolutely gorgeous beach and so relaxing. Picture attached, no idea if it will work since i've never attached an image before.

20161012_104614.jpg.0aec70454daad942c0bc83f962e80631.jpg

see my thoughts in red.

Can anyone give tips on packing

Pack light. You really won't need as much as you think you will. If you are not an experienced traveler, get out everything you think you'll need and put half of it back. Take twice as much cash as you think you'll need, though.

traveling from out of state

If you are flying in, I recommend arriving the day before. Flight delays and and do happen at the most inconvenient times. This also helps you start your vacation on a relaxed note!

formal night

Cruise elegant night is a lot of fun. Dress as fancy as you want, but most people wear more of a business casual. You can find the dress code on the FAQ's. Take advantage of all of the great photo opportunities on this night.

picking excursions (best to buy through Carnival or buy from locals)

There are pros and cons to both methods. Buying independent excursions can save you money, but you are really on your own. Carnival excursions are guaranteed to get you back to the ship on time or the ship will wait for you. It will not wait for people on private excursions. You can also take advantage of the Carnival price match guarantee, if you elect to do their excursions. This would help offset some of the additional cost. We normally do private excursions unless we are at a location that we are uncomfortable with or there aren't a lot of private excursions with good reviews. It really depends on how comfortable you are getting out on your own and making sure you are back to the ship on time.

storage in staterooms

Store your luggage under the bed and use it for a dirty clothes hamper. I have found that regardless of what others say, if you only have 2 people in the room there is more than enough storage space.

HAVE A GREAT CRUISE!

• 2 weeks later...

It may have already been posted here, but just in case it wasn't, here is one.

Unless you just want to, you don't have to pack beach towels, hair dryer, or a robe, as (unless things have changed) they are all furnished on the ship.

The beach towels you will have to check out, and make sure you return them, or will be charged for them. The robe is one size fits all, but I really like it as well.

I have cruised off/on for over 26 years, so if you have any other questions, and i can help, please feel free to ask. CC is a wonderful place to get answers as well, and going direction to the "port/island" area for questions too.

Yes that is going to be my biggest problem. I tend to over pack [emoji28] I am one of those "just in case" packers haha. Definitely need to curb that!

You can pick up in case items at your port of departure and at key West.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The one thing as others have said and I learned from here, do not overpack. This will also help limit your bags on a plane if flying. I read so many people say to pack an over the door organizer, extension cords, night lights, smelly good things, fans, clothes pins/clips. So of course we did. Didn't use a single one of those items. We learned our lesson on that moving forward so we will have more room in our luggage moving forward.

I leave my clothes on hangars when I put them in luggage. Makes for quick unpacking.

Don't go to muster the moment it's announced. I go soon thereafter and stand at the exit door letting people pass me like I'm waiting for someone. Then I'm in the front row, not against the wall with 6 rows in front of me.

Tip room service deliverer. Tip excursion guides.

We don't over pack ... and even still don't wear everything we take.

We generally pack something formal/cocktail for the 1st sea day dinner and then Sunday clothes for any others. We take flip flops, tennis shoes, a pair of dress shoes, a carry on, a garment bag and 1 large suitcase for both of us. Take a light jacket for the evenings - it does get chilly on the deck at night (especially during movie night). On formal night there will be people dressed anywhere from elegant/ballroom/tuxedo to Sunday church. We like to dress up ... have fun w/ it!

You will get lost on the boat! Our first cruise was 8 days. We didn't learn where everything was and how to get there w/out back tracking until about day 6. It happens, roll w/ it.

If you do excursions that require things like ATV rides, horseback, etc ... you might want to consider a change of clothes, especially depending on season - we've done these & gotten muddy/dirty.

Anything you want on the menu ... can be as much as you want (think lobster night on a 7 day or longer cruise) ... eat more than 1 plate! Anything in "appetizer" can be ordered as a meal - just ask! If you don't like what you order ... they will bring you something else ... no questions asked!

The food is phenomenal ... you WILL gain weight! Use the gym! Take the stairs!

We always take a small power strip w/ USB ports (charge your phone/ipad, etc) and give you extra plugs ... there is ONLY 1 in your room. However, it MUST be in your carry on. Shampoo & Conditioner & soap is supplied in the room, if you don't want to take it w/ you. We take magnets to use (all the walls are magnetic) to hand stuff we want to keep track of ... they will give you A LOT of paper everyday!

We take a highlighter to mark things we want to keep track of/or do for the next days flier ... makes it easy for you to find where you want to go & when. We also take sticky notes - these come in handy for leaving a note for your cabin steward, etc.

As for Carnival ... if you do not have priority boarding (suite, spa cabins) ... PURCHASE FASTER TO THE FUN! It is worth the $49 per cabin. It gets you ON/OFF the boat MUCH faster ... off faster during shore excursions ... off faster on debarkation day ... you don't have to wait in line at the Customer Service desk! However, it sells out FAST.

Do the math before you purchase Bottomless Bubbles or the alcohol package. Unless you drink A LOT of soda ... or alcohol, it's not worth the price. Water, lemonade, tea and coffee are available anytime. You can get pretty much anything else during breakfast and dinner. You can also pack a bottle of wine or champagne w/ you (1 bottle per person) - again in your carry on.

I havent not had time to read all the posts so pardon me if someone has already said it, but half as many clothes you think you will need and double the cash. ;)

Im still overpacking even after 6 cruises :rolleyes: Its hard not to do

Each day that you are in port, the fun times will list emergency contact information for that port. Bring that information with you when you get off the ship. Either tear off that section of the fun times and put in your pocket, or take a picture of it with your cell phone. In the unlikely event that you have an emergency, you'll be able to contact Carnival's port rep.

use room service early and then keep the tray so you can use it for the buffet. There is no trays and it can get a bit difficult to juggle sometimes.

Don't order room service on the last day as that is the day most do and the wait can be very long. I got a BLT and it obviously say there a long time before being brought to the cabin. Didn't come on a tray.

To keep from overpacking, I have found that it's best to pack something dressy for the elegant nights and then several tops to go with black or white capris (or pants or skirt). It cuts WAY down on my luggage, and no one notices the difference!!

Pack an extra empty tote bag for souvenirs. Bring big ziploc bags for wet items (bathing suits).

It's handy to have a big mug or Tervis for beverages on deck. The cups and mugs provided are tiny, and make for many trips to fill them.

Photographs will be taken of you quite frequently - while boarding the ship, in the dining room, getting off the ship in port, etc. You may purchase any or none of these pictures. We have used the "Cruise Elegant" night to get more professional portraits done in a variety of settings and purchase the one we like the best Sure beats hiring a professional studio in cost! If you do this, take a cheap frame along with you to make sure your portrait doesn't get bent in your suitcase.

I'll add that taking a small amount of meds with you just in case you get sick is something I have done since I paid $14 for 6 dayquil on a ship...lol

I get the small pill ziplocks (found by the daily pill sorters) from wal-mart and just put a small supply of benadryl, stomach meds, cold/flu meds, headache meds, etc plus about 10 bandaids. My husband cut this finger in mexico on an excursion and we got the worst bandaids that just fell off for $6. again lol. Learned our lesson a few times and this all fits into a small zippered purse pack i just toss into my tote.

Oh and earplugs, the ship and it's passengers can make some strange sounds throughout the night.

If we don't have a suite with a larger bathroom area, taking a small mesh shower caddy keeps all your shower stuff from the floor. The showers are really, really small in inside and oceanview rooms with no shelving from what I've experienced.

Have a ton of fun!!

A previous poster told you that conditioner is provided on the ship. This is not true. There will be a shampoo and body soap dispenser, in the shower, but no conditioner.

Also the shampoo is a very cheap variety, so if you're particular you might want to take your own shampoo as well. The body soap is just ok. Manageable for a few days.

The night light is a good suggestion. I always plug one in the bathroom, and then leave the bathroom door slightly ajar. Finding your way to the bathroom in a dark room, can be harmful to your health. lol.

A first cruise is very exciting, and something you will always remember. May your days be sunny and your seas smooth. Enjoy. The Sensation was our 2nd cruise, and still one of our most memorable.