Freestyle cruising - First timer on NCL.

mnsweeps

We have been on Carnival and Disney cruises before but never on NCL. We have booked a 7 day Mexican Riviera from L.A. in April.

From my understanding, freestyle cruising is we don't have to provide an early / late dining schedule to NCL and we can do anytime and sit on any table we want in any restaurant. Is my understanding correct?

Edited by mnsweeps

We have been on Carnival and Disney cruises before but never on NCL. We have booked a 7 day Mexican Riviera from L.A. in April.

From my understanding, freestyle cruising is we don't have to provide an early / late dining schedule to NCL and we can do anytime and sit on any table we want in any restaurant. Is my understanding correct?

You do need to make reservations for the speciality restaurants, such as Cagney's or Moderno. If you get a dining package which allows to go to three or four of the restaurants, you will enjoy the different speciality restaurants.

The main dining rooms are open from 5:30 -10:00 or so and you can go anytime. There may be a line of people waiting, but you can go anytime which works within your schedule.

There are no assigned dining times in the main dining room. Just like showing up to a restaurant on land, you wait for the hostess to show you to a table. You dined whenever you want, As often as you want.there is open seating in the buffet, will you can pick your own table.

If you would like to try one of the specialty dining rooms, you need to make a reservation. Just like making a reservation for a restaurant on land. You show up at your reservation time, and the hostess will show you to a table.

Edited by BirdTravels

That's partially true. Not sure what ship you will be on, but there is a main dining buffet area on all ships. You can eat there any time.

On the Breakaway the main dining room was called The Garden Cafe, that's where you get all meals, even a late eve snack if you so choose come and go as you please.

Then there were other venues for dining. Those are usually first come first serve but you can make reservations prior to sailing on my NCL. They begin dinner at 5:30 pm. Then there are also dining places you have to pay extra for, which you can make a reservation for.

There is a buffet where you can just walk up and take whatever food you want, then sit where you want.

The other dining venues work like a restaurant on land. You show up whenever you want (or you can make a reservation) and they either seat you or give you a pager so you can wander around until your table is available. If you have a small party, they might ask if you would be willing to sit at a table with other passengers at busy times.

We are going on our first cruise in March with NCL

You say freestyle is anytime, but you need reservations for "specialty dining" what is this. Does it costs extra for specialty ???

Specialty dining are the dining venues that have an upcharge. You pay extra. Look up your ship on NCL.com and they'll tell you what each restaurant serves and what the extra charges are.

You don't need to make a reservation for specialty restaurants (except for the Teppanyaki place or for the dinner shows), but people recommend it because they can fill up.

Edited by Valen9

We are going on our first cruise in March with NCL

You say freestyle is anytime, but you need reservations for "specialty dining" what is this. Does it costs extra for specialty ???

Yes, not sure what boat you will be on but there are specialty restaraunts where you have to pay. https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-dining. The categories range from Steakhouse, French Gourmet, Italian etc. depends on the ship. There are menus available onboard you can view per day before you book.

That's partially true. Not sure what ship you will be on, but there is a main dining buffet area on all ships. You can eat there any time.

On the Breakaway the main dining room was called The Garden Cafe, that's where you get all meals, even a late eve snack if you so choose come and go as you please.

Then there were other venues for dining. Those are usually first come first serve but you can make reservations prior to sailing on my NCL. They begin dinner at 5:30 pm. Then there are also dining places you have to pay extra for, which you can make a reservation for.

The Garden Cafe is the buffet and does indeed serve all meals, in between and late night food, good food. O'Sheehan's is a casual 24hr restaurant that does some evening specials (Prime Rib night, Spare rib night, etc.).

The main dining rooms will seat as you with or without a reservation. Generally I have not needed reservations on NCL, but if you really need to eat a certain time feel free to make reservation for a main dining room.

Getting seated in any complimentary dining location and having wonderful food were the least of my worries on NCL. I'm a big fan of freestyle.

Thanks everything for the help. We are going on the jade. I'll check out and see what I can find on the site for prices

NCL has recently changed the specialty restaurant pricing structure. It used to be a set fee to eat at the restaurant and then you could eat all you wanted. They still have a few like that (modern's and teppanyaki) but most of the others are free to get in and then food priced per item like a restaurant.

If you would like to eat at 3 or more, it's far more affordable to get the specialty dining package. That gets you into most specialties (all the specialties on Jade) for free and then it's all you can eat with the exception of being limited to 1 entrée.

Thanks for info folks.. I don't think we would be trying out speciality restaurants as its costs $$ plus none of us drink alcohol ...and 2 of the party members are vegetarians. Me and my dad eat chicken and fish once a while. With these restrictions we would stick to the MDRs.

By the way we are on the JEWEL.

Edited by mnsweeps

Thanks for info folks.. I don't think we would be trying out speciality restaurants as its costs $$ plus none of us drink alcohol ...and 2 of the party members are vegetarians. Me and my dad eat chicken and fish once a while. With these restrictions we would stick to the MDRs.

By the way we are on the JEWEL.

You'll be completely fine then :) I never go to the speciality restaurants either because £££ and I can get any food I want elsewhere on the ship :)

As this is your first NCL cruise you may find this post of interest: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Have a fabulous time! I love NCL.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The specialty restaurants do have added cost that is pretty minimal compared to the real world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You must live in a different world to me! Speciality restaurants cost more than I'd pay for a meal at home.

You'll be completely fine then :) I never go to the speciality restaurants either because £££ and I can get any food I want elsewhere on the ship :)

As this is your first NCL cruise you may find this post of interest: http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/

Have a fabulous time! I love NCL.

Thanks for http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/ link.

Pre-book a show? I have never done that..do i have to book shows for my JEWEL cruise? Does it cost?

Thanks for http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-cruising-with-ncl/ link.

Pre-book a show? I have never done that..do i have to book shows for my JEWEL cruise? Does it cost?

Don't worry about that for the jewel! It's only for the newer ships :) you can just show up as and when you like. Easy peasy.