Carnival Vista moving to Galveston

Margaritaville TX

My friend (first cruise) is stuck on the Freedom right now due to the fog. She is so ready to be off the boat! They were supposed to disembark yesterday. She said Carnival isn't informing them of much at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Until something changes there is nothing to inform them of.

Sent from my iPhone

My friend (first cruise) is stuck on the Freedom right now due to the fog. She is so ready to be off the boat! They were supposed to disembark yesterday. She said Carnival isn't informing them of much at all.

Not sure what they are expecting. Carnival doesn't control the weather. When the fog lifts and it's safe for the ship then it will move.

Not sure what they are expecting. Carnival doesn't control the weather. When the fog lifts and it's safe for the ship then it will move.

Well for example they would like to have been informed that the Port was closed today. The fog is mostly lifted and they understand that it isn't up to Carnival it is the Port of Galveston's call. But the captain has been pretty quiet. They are finding out more from message boards and people off the boat.

17 cruises for me so far. 1 from New Orleans and the rest from Ft Lauderdale, Miami, or Norfolk. Delays due to fog - 0. There's still no way I would sail from Galveston or Tampa knowing it's a real possibility. Sure, it's not a guaranteed hiccup, but when it does happen, it's a major PITA. I can't afford to deal with that mess due to work amongst other things.

I feel so bad for those trying to get home or having to scramble for hotel rooms in Galveston tonight. Perhaps if I lived within driving distance, I would feel the need to defend "my port" with the same intensity as others (general statement not directed at any one person). In that case, it would be my first choice as well due to ease of travel. But since I have to fly there, I choose to cross the trouble-prone areas off my list of possibilities. Plus it's not like they go anywhere special. I can get the same ho-hum Western Itineraries from Florida on Carnival.

I also hope you have an uneventful boarding next week. No matter how much people disagree on here, I think we all want to hear that everyone has a fun filled, drama free cruise. At least I do! Happy sailing! Take lots of pictures and be sure to post them :).

Yes, you are right, it is no big deal for us since we live an hour from the Port of Galveston. We just sign up for the text alerts and follow instructions. It is pretty painless for us when there is a fog problem in Galveston, but I do feel for those flying in or those unprepared to stay in a hotel.

The forecast in Galveston for next weekend includes wind gusts of 32mph so there should not be a fog problem for the Breeze. Galveston is not impacted by wind like the Port of Houston is, so it should be OL. If not, we will just go with the flow and proceed to the port as instructed.

In my original posts I mention the issues I had with Tampa, but we also had fog issues on a cruise from San Pedro in 2001 and one from San Diego in January 2004. Obviously, we had to fly for those cruises. We had to reschedule homeward flights on the San Pedro cruise and the only thing available was the following day, so we got a hotel room at LAX. On the San Diego cruise we were delayed boarding until 5pm. We had to check out of our hotel at noon. We left our luggage with the hotel concierge and had a nice lunch and then took advantage of the extra time before boarding to visit the floating museums on the waterfront in San Diego. Yes, the lines were long, but we got on the ship and had a wonderful vacation. I think it is all in how you handle it. So many cruisers are not travelers and the slightest change in plans throws them for a loop. After spending 6 weeks bumming around Europe in my youth with no advance reservations, not much throws me for a loop when traveling. I am always pleasantly surprised when things go as planned because in my years of travel I found things don't usually go as planned. I have been through canceled flights, a bus tour of Europe that canceled the week before due to not enough participants, weather delays on cruises, all airports on the east coast shut down due to a computer glitch, hotel overbooked, and a river cruise that turned into a bus tour because the river was too low. All you can do is make the best of it. In this case, people actually have the right to cancel the cruises that are cut short. Carnival gave us that option when we evacuated for Hurricane Rita and could not get on the Conquest.

Lest you think all we do is sail from Galveston the total number of cruise is 68. 35 from Galveston or the Port of Houston. We have sailed from Seattle, San Francisco, San Pedro, San Diego, NYC, Miami, FLL and Baltimore and tried to sail out of Amsterdam.

Edited by DebJ14

Vista will be renamed Carnival Fog.

10 total sailings and arrivals impacted by fog on a 5 year average, so why not name it after one of the Carnival ships that sail from your home port in San Diego?

It would be the Carnival Bye Felecia.

#enjoythedrivetolongbeach

Edited by BallFour4

Yes, you are right, it is no big deal for us since we live an hour from the Port of Galveston. We just sign up for the text alerts and follow instructions. It is pretty painless for us when there is a fog problem in Galveston, but I do feel for those flying in or those unprepared to stay in a hotel.

The forecast in Galveston for next weekend includes wind gusts of 32mph so there should not be a fog problem for the Breeze. Galveston is not impacted by wind like the Port of Houston is, so it should be OL. If not, we will just go with the flow and proceed to the port as instructed.

In my original posts I mention the issues I had with Tampa, but we also had fog issues on a cruise from San Pedro in 2001 and one from San Diego in January 2004. Obviously, we had to fly for those cruises. We had to reschedule homeward flights on the San Pedro cruise and the only thing available was the following day, so we got a hotel room at LAX. On the San Diego cruise we were delayed boarding until 5pm. We had to check out of our hotel at noon. We left our luggage with the hotel concierge and had a nice lunch and then took advantage of the extra time before boarding to visit the floating museums on the waterfront in San Diego. Yes, the lines were long, but we got on the ship and had a wonderful vacation. I think it is all in how you handle it. So many cruisers are not travelers and the slightest change in plans throws them for a loop. After spending 6 weeks bumming around Europe in my youth with no advance reservations, not much throws me for a loop when traveling. I am always pleasantly surprised when things go as planned because in my years of travel I found things don't usually go as planned. I have been through canceled flights, a bus tour of Europe that canceled the week before due to not enough participants, weather delays on cruises, all airports on the east coast shut down due to a computer glitch, hotel overbooked, and a river cruise that turned into a bus tour because the river was too low. All you can do is make the best of it. In this case, people actually have the right to cancel the cruises that are cut short. Carnival gave us that option when we evacuated for Hurricane Rita and could not get on the Conquest.

Lest you think all we do is sail from Galveston the total number of cruise is 68. 35 from Galveston or the Port of Houston. We have sailed from Seattle, San Francisco, San Pedro, San Diego, NYC, Miami, FLL and Baltimore and tried to sail out of Amsterdam.

I agree many people don't know how to handle monkey wrenches in their plans. I don't like deviation, but am very well prepared and know what to do if needed. Unfortunately I get very limited time off work and can't reschedule it at the drop of hat so I need to make calculated decisions on where to spend my precious time off.

I too have traveled Europe without any plans but travel was VERY different then. Today, planes fly full due to cutbacks so it can be nearly impossible to get another flight when literally thousands of people are all trying to do the same thing.

Maybe I'll try the Horizon when it's out. It will depend on what I think of the Vista in March. I have a feeling I will like it, but will still prefer the Conquest Class ships. I'm sure I will be spoiled by the Havana area and won't want to go on another Vista Class ship unless I can stay there again. Being I cruise a lot by myself, not sure that will be in the budget. We will see!

Just got home 3 hours ago from the Breeze. Fabulous cruise with a "bonus" day due to fog in Galveston. We loved everything about our trip except the ports of Jamaica & Coz. Don't get off there any more. Sorry for those boarding since they have a shortened cruise. Guess there are 2 sides to every story. Captain told us what he could based on what the port told him. They opened phone & internet if you needed to make alternate arrangements you could.

Not from what I have read. Fog is a familiar problem there, but I think it's worse certain times of the year. Can't recall how many times I have seen posts on people delayed for hours due to it there, but it has been a lot. Sure, every port can have problems, but fog seems to haunt Galveston. I think I saw once where it happened in Miami, and maybe a couple in Tampa. Still makes me vow to stay away.

Fine, stay away. That means more Galveston for me...

I live about 40 minutes from port. Galveston gets fog maybe twice a year. If it's going to happen it happens in the winter. And yes, while the harbormaster will shut the ship channel down in fog and hold up all traffic until it clears, it doesn't keep Houston/Galveston from being one of the busiest ports in the country.

Galveston is a great town. It's your loss if you're afraid to visit it.

I live about 40 minutes from port. Galveston gets fog maybe twice a year. If it's going to happen it happens in the winter. And yes, while the harbormaster will shut the ship channel down in fog and hold up all traffic until it clears, it doesn't keep Houston/Galveston from being one of the busiest ports in the country.

I've stayed there for about a week and enjoyed it very much. Love Kemah. It's just not convenient for me to cruise from. I don't understand all the defensiveness over a port. You would have thought someone kicked y'all's dogs!

We get a cruise ship here in Norfolk twice a year. Yet if people told me they don't want to come here for any reason whether I felt it was legit or not, no biggie. I wouldn't feel offended.

Glen Campbell wrote a song about Galveston, can't be that bad :p

Edited by BoDidly

I don't understand all the defensiveness over a port. You would have thought someone kicked y'all's dogs!

You would understand if you had to deal with the drama and hyperbole of some posters. Those who have never sailed from here but say they won't because it's a "horrible" port. They got the info from their Nephew's plumber's wife's second cousin who was here once and had a rare bad experience.

Then there are the people who claim it's "always" foggy. Those people are nothing but liars putting a scare into people who might want to book here but now might never will.

Then there are the people who say the port is "hard to get to". No it's not. There are plenty of transportation and hotel options. It might be farther, and in some cases more expensive, but it's not hard.

I'm just glad Carnival and RCCL have more faith in Galveston and the common sense of the majority of cruisers to not only keep ships here but to keep adding them.

You would understand if you had to deal with the drama and hyperbole of some posters. Those who have never sailed from here but say they won't because it's a "horrible" port. They got the info from their Nephew's plumber's wife's second cousin who was here once and had a rare bad experience.

Then there are the people who claim it's "always" foggy. Those people are nothing but liars putting a scare into people who might want to book here but now might never will.

Then there are the people who say the port is "hard to get to". No it's not. There are plenty of transportation and hotel options. It might be farther, and in some cases more expensive, but it's not hard.

I'm just glad Carnival and RCCL have more faith in Galveston and the common sense of the majority of cruisers to not only keep ships here but to keep adding them.

If there's money to be had, Carnival will park a ship there.

Haha! Do people say it's "hard to get to"? Yes, driving south on I45 and one left turn to the port is extremely difficult!! 😂😂

Any info yet on repositioning itineraries of Breeze & Vista in 2018?

We just returned from the Fantasy on Saturday. We spoke to the future cruise consultant and she showed us the itinerary for the Breeze reposition on Sept 16, 2018 which we ended up booking. It is a 14 night from Galveston to Port Canaveral with stops in Cayman Islands, Aruba, Curacao, Grenada, Barbados, Dominica, and St. Maarten with 6 total sea days.

As for the Vista, as of now it is a non revenue reposition cruise from Miami to Galveston.

Edited by stobe1

I've stayed there for about a week and enjoyed it very much. Love Kemah. It's just not convenient for me to cruise from. I don't understand all the defensiveness over a port. You would have thought someone kicked y'all's dogs!

We get a cruise ship here in Norfolk twice a year. Yet if people told me they don't want to come here for any reason whether I felt it was legit or not, no biggie. I wouldn't feel offended.

You Galveston basher, you. Right now there's a handful of Texans in a frantic search for their blood pressure meds. LOL ;)

Kind of like people that are afraid to sail Carnival because of it's "reputation"? I can kind of see that, but so what? As long as Carnival thinks they will remain profitable, then that's all that matters. They're the ones paying when there are delays so obviously they can calculate whether or not it's a good idea to stay. From the recent announcement, it's not going to change in the near future.

Just because I and others say we won't go there, doesn't mean that nobody will. I don't live within driving distance, I don't want to fly further to get to the same places I can go closer to home, and I can't take the risk of possibly being stranded due to the apparently remote possibility of fog. Don't take it personally. It's not like I have any direct influence on Carnival.

Everyone cruise from where you're happy and quit worrying about what others think as it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Can we just go on with the rest of our lives and give this a rest? No one is going to convince each other to switch sides so to speak.