Alaska in May

desertmoon

Currently looking at a May cruise from Seattle. Is this a good time or will land excursions be limited by weather? Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm? Finally, it looks like most the major lines are pretty similar in price and content, but do you have a recommendation?

I went in May for my first Alaska trip, and we did not find that we were not limited in any of the things we wanted to do. But it really depends on the activites YOU are looking for. For example, if you are thinking about bear watching somewhere like Anan Creek, May is going to be too early - the salmon aren't running yet. That would be more of a July/Aug activity.

There is still PLENTY to do in May, it's just a question of what your interests are.

Land excursions should be OK but anything involving flying might be iffy. May is a strange month weather wise (in Seattle anyway) due to stronger sunshine heating in cool air causing pop-up showers that are brief but heavier than typical NW coast constant light rain. Farther north it can be anything but typically cycle through a sunny/cool day, a cloudy day and then a rainy day - repeat. Even sunny days often start out with a marine layer of clouds that burn off in late morning.

I've been to Alaska in May twice. Both times the weather turned out to be really good. Whatever rain we did get didn't impact our enjoyment or the excursions we had planned.

Temps on board were around 45 during the day; on land they were 55-60.

The only thing that'll probably be really iffy is if you want to take and flight-seeing tours. Then weather could be an issue. First time it was for me, but not the second.

Currently looking at a May cruise from Seattle. Is this a good time or will land excursions be limited by weather? Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm? Finally, it looks like most the major lines are pretty similar in price and content, but do you have a recommendation?

May can still have some big water on the open ocean west of Vancouver Island, where the Seattle departures travel. The Vancouver BC departures stay east of Vancouver Island on sheltered "inside passage" waters by comparison, so in May I'd definitely be looking at Vancouver round trips vs. Seattle ones.

I'd pick Glacier Bay if at all possible.

Hi guys, usually when I go to Alaska, its in Sept from Vancouver, as usual its rainin up there at that time, this next time for me in Alaska will be May 17th, a 9 day cruise, on Rcl, I expect the weather will be cold an wet. But do correct me if I'm wrong, weatherwise that is.:rolleyes:

Virginia

Hi guys, usually when I go to Alaska, its in Sept from Vancouver, as usual its rainin up there at that time, this next time for me in Alaska will be May 17th, a 9 day cruise, on Rcl, I expect the weather will be cold an wet. But do correct me if I'm wrong, weatherwise that is.:rolleyes:

Virginia

May and June are historically the driest months during the Alaska cruise season. There’s no guarantee though. There will be much more light than in September. It can be cool but our preference is cool rather than rain. May is our favorite month in Alaska, cruising or not.

Edited by Glaciers

May and June are historically the driest months during the Alaska cruise season. There’s no guarantee though. There will be much more light than in September. It can be cool but our preference is cool rather than rain. May is our favorite month in Alaska, cruising or not.

I agree with you!

The beauty of the snow on the mountains is beautiful in May. There is also a fresh crisp air feeling. I have also had good experience with weather. I would rather have cooler and dryer temps than warmer and wetter temps.

May is also my favorite time to cruise in Alaska. I have gone in May, June and July multiple times.

I agree with you!

The beauty of the snow on the mountains is beautiful in May. There is also a fresh crisp air feeling. I have also had good experience with weather. I would rather have cooler and dryer temps than warmer and wetter temps.

May is also my favorite time to cruise in Alaska. I have gone in May, June and July multiple times.

Yeah, I think it's the best month for photographers.

I've cruised May every year for at least the past 10- at least 20 of my cruise visits. But it also depends when in May, there can be big differences in weather between the beginning and end. Determine- WHAT your activities are going to be, to be certain to be peak season for those ideas. IF you are doing a combo mainland/cruise Alaska visit- and going to Denali you want a northbound later May cruise.

We went to Alaska in May 2016 and the weather was FANTASTIC and warm (but that is also the exception rather than the rule). It is typically drier in May than later in the summer.

No one really answered the second half of your question. In May it is VERY unlikely that you will get to Tracy Arm because of ice. All ship captains know of nearby alternate places to see - you will still see glaciers.

There is no problem getting in and out of Glacier Bay. See it while you can - it is rapidly becoming more "Bay" and less "Glacier" as glaciers recede.

Have a great trip.:)

No one really answered the second half of your question. In May it is VERY unlikely that you will get to Tracy Arm because of ice. All ship captains know of nearby alternate places to see - you will still see glaciers.

I have made it into Tracy Arm last year in May and had several other times, in Tracy Arm- with small boat tours.

The ONLY "alternative" cruise ships use is Endicott Arm.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gone in May 3 times and had really nice weather. Even in Ketchikan I did not have rain. And the kids are still in school which made it nice on the ship. Also I find the cost of the cruise is cheaper then. Please don't miss going to Glacier Bay. It is a beautiful site and something not to be missed. I have been on the NCL Pearl and it is a very nice ship that goes there. Tracy Arm is beautiful also but Glacier Bay is my favorite cruise. Have a wonderful time.