Adventure Of the Seas--chlorine pool?

murphy4

The pools are salt water and are untreated while at sea. I believe the hot tubs are always treated. If I remember my lessons from the Chief Engineer correctly, even though the regular pools are salt water, they have to be treated within a certain distance from land.

Just off AOS, solarium pool was salt water AND chlorine, as were the hottubs. Can't speak regarding the other pools but guessing its the same. We did b2b and they were not drained and refilled each week unless a maintenance issue required it. They were always very clean but your suits and body smelled of chlorine so be sure to rinse all.

We were on the Adventure last week. I didn't use the pools but my children did. The color on my daughter's black crotchet trim swim-suit faded after using the ship pools. They used the new slides, hot tubs and regular pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Adventure last week. I didn't use the pools but my children did. The color on my daughter's black crotchet trim swim-suit faded after using the ship pools. They used the new slides, hot tubs and regular pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very common complaint on ships. The pools must be maintained at 2-4ppm, and the hot tubs at 6-8ppm chlorine, higher than most shore or home pools and monitored and dosed continuously, so the chlorine levels tend to stay constant at those higher levels.

And, Bob, you're learning! Yes, even salt water pools, when within 12 miles of land, must be recirculation and chlorinated. Only when ships are outside of 12 miles can they switch to "flow through" which is a constant supply of sea water, and does not require chlorination. But, since switching back when returning close to shore requires the pool to be closed for about an hour while the chlorine levels are stabilized, many ships with salt water pools do not go to flow through unless there are a couple of sea days in a row.

While there is no requirement to drain pools regularly, most lines do it at least weekly, most commonly around 1am on nights at sea, so guests are generally not aware they are drained. Hot tubs must be drained at least every 72 hours, and more typically nightly to accommodate the required shock chlorination required daily.

It's mainly the sun that fades swimsuits...not the chlorine. I have a suit that faded...but it had some hanging "baubles" attached at the waistband.... underneath those areas, the suit did NOT fad....because that area was shaded from the sun!

Don't blame the pool! The entire suit gets wet and should fade equally, if it had anything to do with the water! Some materials and dyes are simply more prone to fading.

It's mainly the sun that fades swimsuits...not the chlorine. I have a suit that faded...but it had some hanging "baubles" attached at the waistband.... underneath those areas, the suit did NOT fad....because that area was shaded from the sun!

Don't blame the pool! The entire suit gets wet and should fade equally, if it had anything to do with the water! Some materials and dyes are simply more prone to fading.

Yeah, I'll mention that to my guys who work in the pool equipment room onboard, and keep one set of coveralls for that use, as they are completely faded and spotted from the chlorine and pool water.

It must also be the sun that rots out the stitching on swimwear worn in ship's pools, right cb?

While sun also contributes to fading, chlorine is the major problem. Bathing suit manufacturers will readily confirm that if you choose to check with them. They also suggest that to reduce fading from chlorine, shower before taking a dip in the pool and get your bathing suit thoroughly wet. That minimizes absorption of the chlorinated pool water to begin with, and when combined with a post-swim rinse with fresh water, will help keep your swimsuit in good condition.

BTW, I've worked extensively with life guards who work indoor chlorinated pools during the winter and outdoor river and lake swim areas during the summer. I know from past discussions that there's no comparison between the effects of the chlorine versus sun.

Yeah, I'll mention that to my guys who work in the pool equipment room onboard, and keep one set of coveralls for that use, as they are completely faded and spotted from the chlorine and pool water.

It must also be the sun that rots out the stitching on swimwear worn in ship's pools, right cb?

LOL! Thanks for the laugh. :D

Salt Water. I know last cruise I brought a bright orange swim trunks, and let me say the orange color faded really bad. At home we have a chorline pool and never had I had a swim suit fade that much before.

But still I was a good time