Carnival Pride in room safe

JennyD1

Credit card, or room key. Kind of a PIA since I'd prefer to lock away said credit cards in the safe, and if you use the room key others in your room can't get into the safe if your out and about with your key. Wish the had the numeric combo ones.

Credit card, or room key. Kind of a PIA since I'd prefer to lock away said credit cards in the safe, and if you use the room key others in your room can't get into the safe if your out and about with your key. Wish the had the numeric combo ones.

An old gift card will work, or any card with a magnetic strip. When multiple people need access to the safe we just find a good hiding place in the cabin for the card.

This is to protect their staff, using your room key can provide access to the contents of the safe by staff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

Let me get this straight :confused: . So now to my understanding your S&S cards are not available at the ports, now their delivered to your rooms by the same staff ?

Not sure what you are pointing out. Carnival has a pilot on one or two ships not providing you your sign-n-sail cards at check-in, they claim an embarkation time saver. The sail-n-sail cards are place in a sealed envelope in your stateroom mailbox. If the seal on the envelope is broken you can get new cards at Guest Services. Yes, the sail-n-sail cards are delivered by the same staff but when delivered you don't have anything in the stateroom or the safe because the cards are placed in the mailbox prior to passenger boarding. Once you are on board and if you use the sign-n-sail card for the safe their master key card may open the safe. By using a different card it provides you the most security for your belongings kept in the safe.

This is to protect their staff, using your room key can provide access to the contents of the safe by staff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forums mobile app

No, it wouldn't. The same card that locked the safe has to be used to open the safe. I locked the safe using my S&S and then tried DW's S&S and it wouldn't work. So a staff member wouldn't be able to just use any card to open the safe.

It also demagnetizes the sign and sail card (if you use the sign and sail) and makes it not work.

Sent from my iPhone

I have never understood why people say this, the safe is a reader, just like the one in the cabin door. Nothing about the safe operation would demagnetize the card (any more than it would any other card that was used to lock the safe).

Now if you used your S&S card to lock your safe and lost it the finder presumably could then open your safe- if they could figure out which cabin you were in before you reported your card lost (and of course security would need to reset the safe for you in the event of a lost or demagnetized card). I would rather use my S&S card than some other card that I left in the cabin, no matter how well I hid it.

We sailed on the Breeze which had that style safe. The light switch also was controlled by a card. I used my drivers license to set the safe then left my license in the light switch all week. It worked great.

If my wife needed in the safe she would just replace my license with her S&S card so the lights stayed on, then used my license to open the safe.

Staff use master key cards issued to them that can open the safes. To protect their employees Carnival suggests using a card other than your room card.

2 years ago, the safe in our cabin was locked when we boarded. Security couldn't do anything about it. Maintenance had to come, drill out the lock in order to open it, removed it, and install a new one.

Staff use master key cards issued to them that can open the safes. To protect their employees Carnival suggests using a card other than your room card.

The only card that can be used to unlock the safe is the one that was used to lock it in the first place, the fact that it is a cabin key doesn't magically make it so another cabin key can open the safe, it has to be the same one that locked it (unless security gets involved but I'm not sure what they use to open the safe in those instances).

Edited by sparks1093

2 years ago' date=' the safe in our cabin was locked when we boarded. Security couldn't do anything about it. Maintenance had to come, drill out the lock in order to open it, removed it, and install a new one.[/quote']

I think your safe had more wrong with it than just being locked by the previous passenger. Security does have the ability to access the safe in the event a passenger loses the card they used or if the card does get demagnetized somehow.

I think your safe had more wrong with it than just being locked by the previous passenger. Security does have the ability to access the safe in the event a passenger loses the card they used or if the card does get demagnetized somehow.

That explanation makes more sense to me- I've read several times about people getting left behind due to a late excursion and Carnival security has gone into their safes and removed passports etc so they could travel, either to the next port or home...

• 2 months later...

I always use one of my grocery store member rewards cards. It has a magnetic strip and if I lose it, so what??? It is better than carrying around a credit card all day. (I keep those locked in the safe.)

An old gift card will work, or any card with a magnetic strip. When multiple people need access to the safe we just find a good hiding place in the cabin for the card.

I tried 2 different gift cards on the Valor and neither would work. Had to use my credit card.