Excursions in Curacao and Aruba

trev71

Anyone have any ideas for excursions in Curacao and Aruba ?

I checked the port of calls and doesn't seem like much help on there. and my roll call is pretty quiet. I don't care if it is an excursion threw royal. I just want to see as much of these islands as possible.

If you would like to see the Island, we did the Royal excursion that was by bus. We went to Lighthouse, fallen Natrual Bridge (it has collapsed), some rock garden, and a beach. The beach was a rip off from the prospective the price for things on the beach. We walked across the road and sat at a Tiki Bar. Looked like a hotel or condos but was timeshare. They would not allow us to swim in the pool but were open to us buying drinks.

We saw other tours going on we would likely try next time. We saw groups driving 3 wheel motorcycles with VW like engines. Group of 4 wheel keeps/safari vehicles that also looked cool and went into areas we could not go.

I'll jump over to my CC app and post a picture or two.

Here are some pictures (Aruba)

The 3 wheel motorcycle like tours. We talked to the people on the tour (it was a tour) and they were having a great time. We saw about six of these in the group. Prices also seemed fair.

4b72f16bc4fc9b5af3c5934b8c00f86a.jpg

The lighthouse

53c73fde51f798159629a4b075fd7c2c.jpg

The Natural Bridge (collapsed)

b5a82009a0049d66d7599fb77c93d680.jpg

The baby Bridge

d9987867bda6ae2b9e0e3c61012c31a7.jpg

The Rock Garden

bb76f905dab000bb324f0ceb8ae98d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by troykahack

When we did Aruba there was a Sunset Champaign Catamaran Sail. It went out late and returned right before the ship sailed (it was a Ship Excursion so no problem). We really enjoyed it. It sailed up to the lighthouse and back. Champaign and other drinks were served. Beautiful and relaxing.

Concur with a previous poster re: Palm Beach on Aruba ... best beach on the island.

As for Curacao, the oldest Jewish Synagogue in the western hemisphere (going back to the 17th century) is located on the island ... it's a Sephardi schul, beautifully maintained and still open for services. Highly recommend a visit there.

Michael

For Curacao, we've enjoyed the Lion's Dive area of Seaquarium (Mambo) beach. A little more expensive than some of the other areas, but excellent facillities and good service. This requires a taxi ride that was around $15 one way.

Edited by clarea

For Curacao, we've enjoyed the Lion's Dive area of Seaquarium (Mambo) beach. A little more expensive than some of the other areas, but excellent facillities and good service. This requires a taxi ride that was around $15 one way.

We enjoyed Mambo beach last October when we were in Curacao. There are a bunch of different beach areas to choose from. Most with chairs for rent and roaming bar service. Plenty to go look at if you walk around the area. The beach is protected by a reef or wall of some sort, so swimming is pleasant even on rough days. The day we were there some people took a boat over as part of an excursion and they were all pretty green by the time they got there due to rough seas. You almost wouldnt have known the seas were bad by standing on the beach because of the "wall". I don't remember what the taxi ride cost, but i would go back again.

In Aruba we did a snorkeling sailboat ride. That was a nice trip, but would probably look for something a little shorter next time. People we met on the ship went on the trike excursion and loved it. Bigque here on CC was the guy I am referring to. Maybe he'll chime in on that.

Edited by MiniChunks

In Aruba, we have done the Trikes Aruba tour 2x's in 2 years. We really enjoyed it and would do it again. It is my DHs favorite excursion. Note that it is riding around with some interesting stops, but it's not a 'guided history tour'. They pick you up at the port, take you back to their offices, provide the driver with a quick tutorial and then you are off. If you don't feel you can handle driving, they will set you up wth one of the staff to do that. Two ladies on our last visit did that, however one of them said that once she saw the trikes, she could have handled it. It's only half day and we prefer the AM trip so that when they return us to the port, its lunch time. Let me know if you have any questions, but you can find more info on TA or their website. They also have a FB page and post trip pictures to it afterward, so you don't even have to worry about that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For the best time in Curacao, book Andy Rolfast. His company is Around Curacao Tours. For less than the price of 2 people on an excursion from the cruise ship he will take you all over the island for the whole day, about 5 hours! He will take you wherever you want to go. We saw the blow hole, the salt flats, floating market and bridge, a couple of beaches, a fort, had lunch at a dive resort and snorkeled with sea turtles. He was so nice and personable that we have stayed in touch with him. We have even gone back as Curacao is now one of our favorite islands.:)

Anyone have any ideas for excursions in Curacao and Aruba ?

I checked the port of calls and doesn't seem like much help on there. and my roll call is pretty quiet. I don't care if it is an excursion threw royal. I just want to see as much of these islands as possible.

If you have no qualms about private excusions, we are going to try Aruba Trikes after many good reviews and reports. I'll report back here in Mid May about how it went. Lots of pictures and comments on their facebook page as well.

For Aruba, I'd recommend Sonny Tours if you're looking for a comprehensive tour of the island: http://www.sonnytoursaruba.com

For Curaçao, two very different suggestions:

1. A walking tour of the Punda and possibly Otrobanda Districts. There is an excellent guide here: http://www.curacao.com/media/uploads/2015/07/15/CTB_Walkingguide_2015.pdf.

2. Plan a DIY tour and rent a car. Avis has an office right within the cruise port grounds that makes it very convenient, particularly if your cruise has a late departure. You can drop off the car in the secure port grounds after the office is closed.

For Curaçao, two very different suggestions:

2. Plan a DIY tour and rent a car. Avis has an office right within the cruise port grounds that makes it very convenient

This is what we did. Island is very easy drive and we found a really deserted beach with just two other people and a beach bar.

Here are some pictures (Aruba)

The lighthouse

53c73fde51f798159629a4b075fd7c2c.jpg

]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The entrance door to the lighthouse appears to be open? Have they finally managed to re-open the structure to visitors? That would be awesome. I love climbing lighthouses.

Edited by Ocean Boy

In Curacao, we did a private tour through ATV & Buggy Tours

http://www.atvbuggytours.com/?gclid=CjwKEAiAkuLDBRCRguCgvITww0YSJAAHrpf-YgxxlE2AAMjqS1kXEsJcDRZD8J_A_4xNhP8yvxFfKxoC2ybw_wcB

They picked us up, took us to get the atv's and we had a BLAST! Excellent service and wonderful people who run the show!

The ATV that I was on decided to die at the very end and within five minutes, the owner was there to swap out the machine for me so that I could finish out my excursion. We were the only two on the tour so it was a private tour and run by the owner's son.

They were awesome and I would do it again and again!!

The entrance door to the lighthouse appears to be open? Have they finally managed to re-open the structure to visitors? That would be awesome. I love climbing lighthouses.

Yes, in November, the lighthouse was open to climb the stairs. We choose not too.....

If you have no qualms about private excusions, we are going to try Aruba Trikes after many good reviews and reports. I'll report back here in Mid May about how it went. Lots of pictures and comments on their facebook page as well.

When we go again, we would try the trikes. The people on the trikes were loving it. We ride motor bikes often, so maybe a much more exciting experience for those that don't.

We were told that their was a leader of the group.... the first trike had a tour rep...

Did you get a daypass there or could you just rent chairs, etc. independently?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Did you get a daypass there or could you just rent chairs, etc. independently?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

my experience was that it was a couple dollars to get in, then a few more for the chairs. the prices for the chair varied depending on the chair type

You will really like the Trikes Of Aruba! It was a lot of fun driving them and a good way to tour the island. We had a blast The tour guides drive ahead of you leading you to each destination. Each Trike on the tour at some point leads the pack so that the tour guides can take pictures of you while driving on the road which you can download from their Facebook page later.

My review of the tour along with pictures is in my Adventure review below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275038&page=5

Edited by bigque

You will really like the Trikes Of Aruba! It was a lot of fun driving them and a good way to tour the island. We had a blast The tour guides drive ahead of you leading you to each destination. Each Trike on the tour at some point leads the pack so that the tour guides can take pictures of you while driving on the road which you can download from their Facebook page later.

My review of the tour along with pictures is in my Adventure review below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275038&page=5

Hello,

Do you recall the restaurant you had Lobster and fried Shrimp in Aruba, I would love to take my Mom there for lunch or dinner when we cruise in March