Taxis at Everglades Port - Beware

SM Cruiser

Yesterday my family of 6 took a taxi from the port to FLL Airport.

TAXI # 100 - held 5 but 6 of us managed to squeeze in.

The taxi itself was dirty inside, but we had to get to the airport so off we went.

The taxi driver did not put on his meter, and when we arrived and stopped 10 minutes later he punched $45.00 into the meter. :mad:

I objected to this amount and he said, " it's per person at $7 each and you would have had to take 2 taxis for 6 of you"

We had to catch a flight, so handed over the money and then I phoned the taxi company, Friendly Checker.

It took 3 long distance calls from my cell to the taxi company and over 30 minutes of being on hold to speak with a manager, until I finally asked them to call me back.

We arrived home in Toronto and there was a voice mail from the manager of Friendly Checker, he apologized and offered to refund the $45 and said the driver said his meter was broken, although it should have only been approximately $17 not $45.

The driver of taxi #100 is a scammer, and I wonder how many other times he has got away with this and people have not been bothered to report it.

So, please beware and make sure the fare meter is on before leaving the port, and know you should be paying less than $20 to get to the airport.

WATCH FOR TAXI #100 AND STAY AWAY.

Edited by SM Cruiser

By chance was the vehicle a mini=van? There are 7 of us(4 adults and 3 children}and we were wondering if we need to take 2 vehicles or will be able to squeeze into 1 mini-van.:confused:

- We took an SUV - it was a squeeze for 4 adults 2 children.

A taxi is not too expensive so I would take 2 regular as worst case scenario, less than $20 each taxi.

Between knowing how much cheaper/cleaner/nicer Uber is over a taxi and then hearing the poster(s) on here (from taxi companies) bash the Uber system, I will never, ever use a taxi going forward. It's a shame they knew you were a tourist and did this to you. Sorry that happened.

For others who may be in this situation in the future, an Uber from FLL to Prt Everglades is $23-$29 for UberXL (seats 6)

Yesterday my family of 6 took a taxi from the port to FLL Airport.

TAXI # 100 - held 5 but 6 of us managed to squeeze in.

The taxi itself was dirty inside, but we had to get to the airport so off we went.

The taxi driver did not put on his meter, and when we arrived and stopped 10 minutes later he punched $45.00 into the meter. :mad:

I objected to this amount and he said, " it's per person at $7 each and you would have had to take 2 taxis for 6 of you"

We had to catch a flight, so handed over the money and then I phoned the taxi company, Friendly Checker.

It took 3 long distance calls from my cell to the taxi company and over 30 minutes of being on hold to speak with a manager, until I finally asked them to call me back.

We arrived home in Toronto and there was a voice mail from the manager of Friendly Checker, he apologized and offered to refund the $45 and said the driver said his meter was broken, although it should have only been approximately $17 not $45.

The driver of taxi #100 is a scammer, and I wonder how many other times he has got away with this and people have not been bothered to report it.

So, please beware and make sure the fare meter is on before leaving the port, and know you should be paying less than $20 to get to the airport.

WATCH FOR TAXI #100 AND STAY AWAY.

Not surprised, Fort Lauderdale taxis are the pits!! Sorry that this happened to you :(

Edited by Reader0108598

Between knowing how much cheaper/cleaner/nicer Uber is over a taxi and then hearing the poster(s) on here (from taxi companies) bash the Uber system, I will never, ever use a taxi going forward. It's a shame they knew you were a tourist and did this to you. Sorry that happened.

For others who may be in this situation in the future, an Uber from FLL to Prt Everglades is $23-$29 for UberXL (seats 6)

Yes, and they treat you like a real person to boot!! :)

same thing happened to us. Gee, his meter was also broken.

:rolleyes: Gee in that case I would have paid him what I thought the fare to be!

If he did not like it ,I would suggest we call a police officer:)

I actually did that in the past ,hubby about died ..lol Taxi driver backed down!

Next time he takes someone the long way to their hotel ,he should make sure they do not know the way ,already!

Edited by Reader0108598

We just returned from a 9 day cruise on Celebrity Silhouette. We embarked and debarked from Ft. Lauderdale cruise port. We took Yellow Cabs on all legs of our journey. All cabs were clean, professional, and Toyota Prius vehicles. At our hotels the cabs were summoned by the hotel door staff using a dedicated line. At the airport we went to the taxi stand outside baggage claim in terminal one and I guess were just lucky to get a Yellow Cab. None of our fares including tip exceeded $25.00. We are sorry your experience was different than ours. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

We just returned from a 9 day cruise on Celebrity Silhouette. We embarked and debarked from Ft. Lauderdale cruise port. We took Yellow Cabs on all legs of our journey. All cabs were clean, professional, and Toyota Prius vehicles. At our hotels the cabs were summoned by the hotel door staff using a dedicated line. At the airport we went to the taxi stand outside baggage claim in terminal one and I guess were just lucky to get a Yellow Cab. None of our fares including tip exceeded $25.00. We are sorry your experience was different than ours. Happy Cruising! Bob and Linda

Glad your experience was a good one :) I mean who needs the stress on vacation right!

Edited by Reader0108598

Yes, and they treat you like a real person to boot!! :)

Our last Uber driver in Charleston picked us up in a BMW SUV, SUPER nice ride. He also gave us a "tour" on the way to port. Didn't go out of the way or anything just explained what things were, history, etc on the way. The one prior to that we had a Cadillac Escalade as our ride and that guy was just as nice. Explained the industry of the area. They're great.

Our last Uber driver in Charleston picked us up in a BMW SUV, SUPER nice ride. He also gave us a "tour" on the way to port. Didn't go out of the way or anything just explained what things were, history, etc on the way. The one prior to that we had a Cadillac Escalade as our ride and that guy was just as nice. Explained the industry of the area. They're great.

I know right! Have met some very interesting people! :)

I also learned a few more shortcuts around Fort Lauderdale!

Uber drivers have nothing to gain, by taking you the long way!

Edited by Reader0108598

I haven't taken a taxi from the port, so don't know it this would work there. If you are ever at an airport or hotel where people help you find the taxi, ask them ahead of time the price. Many times I've seen a booth and person manning it, ask there and if the driver asks for anything other than a dollar or so difference I refuse. Many cities have these problems.

Last cruise we asked for a Yellow cab at the pier (to airport) and got one (he was second in line). The other guy was not happy, so I told him I was a stockholder of Yellow Cab.

one of the worst things about getting around in fll

as soon as you get in the cab you can just feel they are trying to take advantage of you

last time an suv came along and asked us if we wanted a ride to the hotel - there was no meter etc. he just seemed a little off

of course he overcharged when I asked the price - give him the money but no tip

fll should be better monitored

That's one thing I love about Uber, you pay before you go (even though you're not charged until afterward) - It doesn't matter if your driver goes the fastest route, the shortest route, the longest route or the slowest route, you're paying the same and you know what that cost will be before you book.

• 2 weeks later...

On Sunday, January 8th,2017 I dropped off our rental car at FLL prior to our seven day cruise on the Allure Of the Seas. I dropped my wife and son on the ground level at the airport and returned the Dollar rental car. I walked back to the terminal and got on the taxi line with my family. While waiting a passenger van arrived and dropped off a few people near us. The driver stated that he had room to transport passengers to Port Everglades. I asked what the charge per passenger and he stated fifteen dollars per person for the short ride. I politely declined and stayed in the taxi line. Due to the heavy volume the ride to Port Everglades took over twenty minutes. The meter showed $16.20 and I handed him a twenty dollar bill. It was worth it. While waiting at the terminal I observed an environmental company cleaning up the area at Terminal Two where the shooting of five innocent victims took place on the previous Thursday afternoon.

Greetings fellow cruisers! I have no experience with Urber. We are flying into FFL in March and staying at the Hilton Marina on 17th Street. Can anyone tell me how much approximately it would cost to take Urber vs a taxi? Also, would we find the Urber car in the taxi line outside the baggage claim area, or somewhere else? Would the wait be much longer than taking one of the taxis? Would we need to collect our luggage and then text Urber? So many questions....😊

Greetings fellow cruisers! I have no experience with Urber. We are flying into FFL in March and staying at the Hilton Marina on 17th Street. Can anyone tell me how much approximately it would cost to take Urber vs a taxi? Also, would we find the Urber car in the taxi line outside the baggage claim area, or somewhere else? Would the wait be much longer than taking one of the taxis? Would we need to collect our luggage and then text Urber? So many questions....

Here is a price list for Uber out of most ports and airports.

http://themusterstation.com/uber-cruise-port-shuttle/

I have never had to wait more then 5 min. for a Uber to show up. Just remember you do need a smart phone to use them. And you can track your car as it comes looking for you. Great app.

Edited by johnlcruise

That's one thing I love about Uber, you pay before you go (even though you're not charged until afterward) - It doesn't matter if your driver goes the fastest route, the shortest route, the longest route or the slowest route, you're paying the same and you know what that cost will be before you book.

Plus you don't have to have cash on hand ( though I always tip them because I've been so impressed with Uber/Lyft service) and you don't have to hand over your credit card.

The pay through the App is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk