New Journeys Panama Canal Cruise - January 2019

joepeka

Just wanted to pass this this along as I did not see this mentioned previously. I noticed this morning that Carnival has added a Journeys 14-day cruise on the Freedom to the Panama Canal in January 2019. We're seriously considering this one since we couldn't do the one on Miracle in December, 2018.

Though this isn't technically allowed, I'm posting a reply to put this back on the first page since though there haven't been any replies, there have been nearly 300 views so there must be a fair amount of interest in this cruise. Don't want any others interested to miss out. ;)

Edit: And no, I'm not a Carnival cheerleader or shill, I just know these PC cruises by Carnival are fairly rare and coveted by those loyal to CCL.

Edited by joepeka

Wow! 2019 cruises from carnival are expensive! Parents going on Pride in a few months down to canal. That same cruise for balcony in 2019 has doubled!

We booked the Journeys cruise on the Breeze out of PC for Nov 2018 and we said the same thing. Our PVP told us that it's because people see the value of a cruise. :rolleyes:

We booked the Journeys cruise on the Breeze out of PC for Nov 2018 and we said the same thing. Our PVP told us that it's because people see the value of a cruise. :rolleyes:

Glad you gave the roll-eyes icon for that PVP's comment about "value of a cruise." I would tend to believe the higher prices are more due to the length of the cruise, the relative rarity that Carnival does the Canal (low supply = higher price) and the additional fees associated with transiting the locks (especially the newer locks). :)

Edited by joepeka

Glad you gave the roll-eyes icon for that PVP's comment about "value of a cruise." I would tend to believe the higher prices are more due to the length of the cruise, the relative rarity that Carnival does the Canal (low supply = higher price) and the additional fees associated with transiting the locks (especially the newer locks). :)

We've done other Journey cruises that were a much better value. I think that they are trying to take advantage of a good thing. We were told by someone at Carnival that they did not make money on the Journey cruises. While they were popular with platinum and diamond guests, other loyalty levels not as much. The younger demographic can not take the longer cruises due to work/school schedules. The platinum and diamond guests probably don't spend on shore excursions, pictures and other added costs the way a younger demographic might.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Prices on this Journey cruise are about the same as the are on the October 2017 Journey cruise on the Freedom. Even at these prices, that cruise sold like wildfire and 10 months out they only have inside cabins available.

I had the chance to go on the Legend through the Panama Canal Before it went to Australia- absolutely love it! Yes, Panama Canal cruises are a bit more expensive, but so worth it. I constantly recommend it to anyone who has the chance to book it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Prices on this Journey cruise are about the same as the are on the October 2017 Journey cruise on the Freedom. Even at these prices, that cruise sold like wildfire and 10 months out they only have inside cabins available.

I too priced that October 2017 Journeys cruise to the Canal on Freedom when it first came available and found the price of that one and this nearly identical 2019 cruise to be within about $20 total of one another, at least in the cabin category I checked (OS).

• 6 months later...
Wow, seems expensive. I would have to compare to some other lines to see their price per night. If Carnival Freedom is close with not airfare for us since it is a home port, then maybe.

It is a 14 night cruise versus a 10 or 11 night cruise with other lines that do a partial Canal transits (e.g. HAL, Princess and NCL). That would account for a chunk of the price difference if you're looking at those partial transit cruises.

The prices are the Freedom are VERY high, considering it's not even a full transit. Compare them with the fares on the Miracle for January 2018.

Roz

The prices are the Freedom are VERY high, considering it's not even a full transit. Compare them with the fares on the Miracle for January 2018.

Roz

When checking that Miracle coast to coast sailing in January 2018 for balcony cabins, there are nothing but guarantees available (non-refundable deposit and no changes permitted) which indeed would be lower than a balcony on Freedom a year later with all the various fare types available (including military).

The following comes from several websites about what a cruise ship must pay to transit the Panama Canal. No mention is made on whether a partial transit costs the full amount or not, but food for thought here on why the cruise lines are charging passengers what they do for the Canal. Remember that "per bed" means passenger beds plus crew beds too. Given that passengers and crew on the Freedom total a bit over 4,000, the charge would be over half a million dollars. To quote:

"Speaking of prices, you’ll pay a surcharge if you go on a cruise ship through the Panama Canal. Those ships are levied a fee of $134 per bed. Enjoy the ride that day—you’ve paid handsomely for it."

In August found Oct 2017 PC cruise and tried to book balcony. Only a few inside cabins left, so looked at Oct 2018. My weather in Austin too nice then so booked Jan 2019. Loved their ports versus other cruise lines and wanted a nice balcony, so booked as soon as cruise became available.

When checking that Miracle coast to coast sailing in January 2018 for balcony cabins, there are nothing but guarantees available (non-refundable deposit and no changes permitted) which indeed would be lower than a balcony on Freedom a year later with all the various fare types available (including military).

When final payment comes due, I bet there are some openings.