South Pacific Cruise - Sea Sickness Tablets

makawe

I am stocking up on our supplies of medication for sea sickness but wondering when/where it is more likely that we will need them e.g. Sailaway (departing from Sydney) or going to islands (Noumea, Lifou, Mystery, Vila). Should I take in anticipation of rough seas or 'wait and see'?

Advice/experience appreciated.

Departing 21 Jan - 11 nights Emerald.

Thanks.

As nobody can predict what the seas will be like, suggestion would be to start taking the meds a few nights before you cruise and then take one at lunchtime on embarkation day and then the following night and see how you go from there.

I know I have a problem with going through Sydney Heads (psychosomatic or real, I dont know but have a feeling it's the former stemmed from a hell'ish crossing from Sydney to Devonport when the Spirit of Tasmania still did that route and we were fighting 6 metre swells at the Heads and then 10 metre from there on!) so I make sure I'm dosed up!

I am stocking up on our supplies of medication for sea sickness but wondering when/where it is more likely that we will need them e.g. Sailaway (departing from Sydney) or going to islands (Noumea, Lifou, Mystery, Vila). Should I take in anticipation of rough seas or 'wait and see'?

Thanks.

They work best if you start before you get sick. So if you are prone start them a day or two before you depart.

I agree. Start taking them a day or two before your cruise. It does not have to be "rough" to get sea sick. The motion of the ship rising and falling with the swell can be enough . You should find that after a couple of days you will be used to it..and have your sea legs.:)

It also depends on the type of seasickness meds. For example I've discovered that Stemetil works fine when taken just when needed, however I believe other remedies are better taken a day in advance.

Looking at the Marine Forecast Map, the run up the coast from Sydney might be a bit bouncy (possibly a 3 metre swell and that shouldn't affect a ship the size of Emerald all that much) but you should have gorgeous calm seas between New Caledonia and Vanuatu. The maps don't go far enough into the future to predict the return to Sydney though. However it should be no worse than the trip over there.

Thank you OKJJ, that's very helpful to know! I might check out Stemetil and have that on hand as well.

You need a prescription from your GP for Stemetil. I find it very effective, as does DH, but I know another regular poster here had some serious issues with it.

I took stemetil on our first cruise. Yes - I got seasick, but the stemetil stopped me from throwing up. I desperately wanted to throw up and knew I would feel a bit better if I could. Never again.

I (and a lot of regular cruises) strongly recommend Avomine. This is what is recommended by most medical staff on cruise ships. Avomine is an anti-histimine that you can buy over the counter at a pharmacy. It costs $9.60 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse. Maybe take one the first evening (or even the evening before the cruise). I find it makes me sleepy if I sit down at a show or a movie, but otherwise it doesn't make me sleepy.

Now I only take a tablet if it is really rough - around 10 metre seas.

As someone else said, after a couple of days you will get your "sea legs".

Another one praising Avomine.

Mrs Slo suffers from sea sickness/motion sickness very badly. Our first cruise she was panicking that the cruise would be ruined for her with sea sickness.

She took Avomine (starting the day before we left) once a day and was completely fine.

We have since had another 2 cruises with no troubles, would highly recommend it.

There is many praises for Bonnie on the American boards (meclizine) though it isn't sold here in Aus.

You can get it online through via ebay and my wife has found it to work very well. You can find a generic brand 'Rugby' on ebay if you are after meclizine.

I use Meclizine as well. It's always worked very well for me with no side effects. I but mine through eBay. A bottle of 100 tablets (25mg) costs about $10. I take one when I wake up and another one about an hour before we sail away each evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

It looks to me like you have already decided for your first cruise that you will get sick and you have made that conscious decision in this regards.

You have decided to take a stockpile of medication and seek advice from compete strangers who may not even have the qualifications to pass on pharmaceutical advice based on an individuals needs.

What first arouses my curiosity is the fact that you are not prepared to go to sea in the first instance and find out if it really effects you at all, instead you have made up your mind that you will get sick and you will need medication. You have come to this decision without first experiencing it for yourself and even if you take the medication you will come back never knowing if you get sick at sea or not.

My suggestion is to go to sea without any medication and just relax and go with an open mind and see what happens. My first job was in the Royal Australian Navy and myself and many others have trained myself not to get sick on ships because most cases of seasickness is nothing more than mind over matter and I emphasise that because above you will note I have pointed out that you have already made the decision that you will get sick.

When you go to sea adjust your breathing, be more aware of your surroundings, let your knees and legs relax go more fluid and feel the movement of the ship, adjust the pressure in your ears like you would when flying or climbing a mountain. Once you are at sea your body needs to recognise that you are on a moving object. Most cases of seasickness are just psychological reactions because the body thinks it is under attack due to conflicting signals from the balance mechanisms in the ear and what the eyes can see. In one instance the brain may receive signals that your body is moving yet your eyes will be saying something completely different. That is why the above techniques work because it prevents the brain from being tricked. If you go with the attitude that you are on a ship and that you will not get sick then it is highly likely that you will not get sick.

I think you have to try it before you decide to dose up on medications that you have no idea if they will be any benefit whatsoever because you have no idea if you are even susceptible to motion sickness.

I don't feel that the OP had made up her mind that she would get seasick, she is just being prepared. In my early cruising days I used to carry a seasick tablet in my pocket if the seas were rough. Knowing it was there if I needed it stopped me stressing about the issue.

Yes - she is asking complete strangers, but I feel people who cruise often would have more idea what to do about motion sickness than most doctors. People who have responded have recommended stemetil that she would need to get a script from a doctor, or avomine where she would have to discuss it with a pharmacist before obtaining the medication. Either way, she is getting professional advice. :)

You say "Most cases of seasickness are just psychological reactions...". Possibly some are, but many are not. I do not know whether "most" are psychological (and I respectfully suggest neither do you):D.

• Like 1

I don't feel that the OP had made up her mind that she would get seasick, she is just being prepared. In my early cruising days I used to carry a seasick tablet in my pocket if the seas were rough. Knowing it was there if I needed it stopped me stressing about the issue.

Yes - she is asking complete strangers, but I feel people who cruise often would have more idea what to do about motion sickness than most doctors. People who have responded have recommended stemetil that she would need to get a script from a doctor, or avomine where she would have to discuss it with a pharmacist before obtaining the medication. Either way, she is getting professional advice. :)

You say "Most cases of seasickness are just psychological reactions...". Possibly some are, but many are not. I do not know whether "most" are psychological (and I respectfully suggest neither do you):D.

All I know that is 100% for sure is that on my first time at sea on a 4,100 ton destroyer I would throw my guts up and need mediation. In a period of six months at sea I trained myself with positive thinking and breathing and other techniques that it was all in the mind and that seasickness was not real. I can now go to sea without needing any medication. In fact I would not have a clue what medications exist because I do not get sick at sea.

All I know that is 100% for sure is that on my first time at sea on a 4,100 ton destroyer I would throw my guts up and need mediation. In a period of six months at sea I trained myself with positive thinking and breathing and other techniques that it was all in the mind and that seasickness was not real. I can now go to sea without needing any medication. In fact I would not have a clue what medications exist because I do not get sick at sea.

Gosh !! that took a long time to get your sea legs..:eek::eek:

I am so glad you are better now.:)

But the OP is going on her first cruise. She does not want to ruin her holiday by "throwing her guts up". She won't be on a ship for six months and have time to train herself with positive thinking, and if she has physical problems with her inner ears, no amount of positive thinking will help.

You are correct in saying that she might not get seasick (many people don't), but I think it is a good idea to go prepared. She could buy medication on the ship if it is needed, but that would involve a delay and also much higher cost. Having the medication, even if she doesn't take it, relieves the worry.

But the OP is going on her first cruise. She does not want to ruin her holiday by "throwing her guts up". She won't be on a ship for six months and have time to train herself with positive thinking, and if she has physical problems with her inner ears, no amount of positive thinking will help.

You are correct in saying that she might not get seasick (many people don't), but I think it is a good idea to go prepared. She could buy medication on the ship if it is needed, but that would involve a delay and also much higher cost. Having the medication, even if she doesn't take it, relieves the worry.

Exactly! We did the same, because DH had been known to get seasick on smaller boats. We were glad we did as we did have a roughish day or so leaving Sydney that time (4 metre seas) and taking the Stemetil meant we were able to enjoy the beginning of our first cruise as much as the rest of it.

We seem to be more attuned to the ocean movement after 7 cruises. On our last cruise we had similar seas on the return to Sydney and barely noticed them even in an aft-facing cabin. I did have to take a Stemetil on the last night as I found the motion did make me feel queasy when lying down but that was all.

Six months seems a very long time to adapt to the ocean movement. :confused:

In fact what probably happened is that your body did eventually adjust to the movement of the sea just like everybody else's does. But, hey, you go on believing that seasickness isn't real if it works for you. :rolleyes:

I have been at sea albeit just a few times crossing from the north island to the south island on a ferry....one time I got sick and the other times in calm weather was fine.

As has been suggested I am making sure I and my family are prepared. My son suffers from car sickness. My husband is pretty good but got sick when the sea was rough out on a fishing boat so we have a mixed bag in our family.

I see no harm in asking for advice and experiences from cruisers on this forum, I have learnt a lot and will continue to do so. I haven't decided I will be sick at all, in fact I feel confident I won't be unless it is quite rough (based on my previous experience).

Aus Traveller has encapsulated my thought processes exactly.

Edited by makawe

Six months seems a very long time to adapt to the ocean movement. :confused:

In fact what probably happened is that your body did eventually adjust to the movement of the sea just like everybody else's does. But, hey, you go on believing that seasickness isn't real if it works for you. :rolleyes:

Six month period with not all of it at sea. Some of that time was spent docked with occasional time at sea but yes over that period I was able to eradicate it completely.

Six month period with not all of it at sea. Some of that time was spent docked with occasional time at sea but yes over that period I was able to eradicate it completely.

I believe that's not uncommon. Our bodies are marvellously adaptable. Many people of my parents generation travelled to NZ from the UK by ship in the 1950s. Seasickness was always rife on the first part of the voyage and seasickness meds were very basic, but by the end of the voyage most people had got past seasickness as their bodied adapted naturally.

DH, who was very prone to seasickness on small boats, now handles 4-5 metre seas without any problems after 7 cruises in two years.