Promotional Internet usage

ksmcdonald

OK, I've read so many threads about this but I'm not quite sure I understand some of the lingo! I have two 20-somethings traveling with me and I have a question about the "free 100 minutes" of internet we are receiving. Is "internet" free and "wi-fi" free the same thing? It says we get 100 minutes of free internet, but does that mean we connect to the wifi for free as well? I'm thinking they are two different things, but would like to understand this before we sail. Any help for this non-tech mom?

OK, I've read so many threads about this but I'm not quite sure I understand some of the lingo! I have two 20-somethings traveling with me and I have a question about the "free 100 minutes" of internet we are receiving. Is "internet" free and "wi-fi" free the same thing? It says we get 100 minutes of free internet, but does that mean we connect to the wifi for free as well? I'm thinking they are two different things, but would like to understand this before we sail. Any help for this non-tech mom?

Wifi. Internet. Same thing.

You can have one device logged on at a time. You have to log off when you are done, else the 100 minute timer keeps ticking.

Just for consideration, how many minutes did it take you to log in and post this message? Now double that time over a ship's satellite network connection. The 100 minutes does not last very long.

Edited by BirdTravels

The connection is not good enough for FaceTime and some ships block it outright.

On the original posters question, are you asking about the onboard wifi access with the Norwegian app to make calls and text on the ship between cell phones? That service costs $9 per device for use throughout the trip and it is separate from the 100 minutes of internet.

Think of the 100 minutes of internet as connecting you to the outside world and the $9 service letting you communicate within the confines of the ship.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Try and make use of the free (promo) wifi time while on the ship at sea.

When in port seek out a free wifi source i.e. Starbucks coffee or port

authority terminal.

Conserve your on board ship wifi and MOST IMPORTANTLY log-off right

away when thru if you don't your free time will last around 3-4 days for

100 minutes less time previously used. Let the clock run after that and

the wifi charges go astronomically bezerk ! Panic mode find out how to

kill the wifi running clock !

Remember to save some time to print airline boarding passes or check

airline schedules gates and times toward the end of your cruise.

Others have commented the per page printing is $0.50. That is the rate !

If you elect to print from some other place on the ship i.e. your

cabin get to the printer as soon as possible least someone misplace or trash

your printed copies thinking - these aren't mine - there must be a mistake !

Best to be at the internet café printer.

Also the speed of the NCL internet is not all that great if you are used to

DSL Fiber Optic Cable or Satellite Dish.

The speed is much like the slow boat from Yokohama delivering the mail to

the Pony Express and awaiting free time on the telegraph to convert the

final document by teletype in the original hieroglyphics mode.

Well something like that but faster but don't expect light year rapid service.

But aren't you on vacation ?

Should you be worried about getting back to the rat race ? LOL

FaceTime audio works fine on the gem and ba.

Don't waste time using video as it will eat up your time

Also just check in at the airport. No reason to print out boarding passes or check in from the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

Also just check in at the airport. No reason to print out boarding passes or check in from the ship

Depending on airline there may be a reason to check in from the ship, if seats aren't allocated until check in then you may find you aren't sitting together if you wait until the airport to check in and the choice is restricted.

I agree totally about not needing to print boarding passes though. Maybe some airlines require you to have preprinted them, but I've never come across this. I usually just turn up and print my boarding pass off at the airport. On the occasions that I have printed at home, they usually print another one when I drop my bags anyway.

I've always wondered why people panic about printing the passes at hotels etc. Do some airlines require it?

Spirit charges $2 to print a BP at a Kiosk and ,$10 if an agent prints it.

Printing a BP in advance may save you waiting on one extra line at the airport. May be helpful if you get, or want to change, your assigned seat. An advance BP might reduce the required arrival time at the airport.

Ryanair charges 15 € if you don't print your boarding pass yourself. If you don't check in online at all, it costs you 45 € to check in at the airport. :eek:

Spirit at least tries to say that their charges are a result of "unbundling". Ryanair's fees are there to punish you for stepping out of line. And yet they somehow manage to be the largest carrier in Europe…

Is the $9 per devise an add-on to the WIFI package, or can you just buy that service? We're taking the grandchildren on this trip and trying to get them to "unplug", so I wasn't going to get the internet, but it would be nice to communicate with my husband while on the ship via cell phone. Thank you so much.

No trouble at all :)

Take a look at the link below to download the app on your phones before you get on the ship (the app itself is free). Then, once on the ship, you connect to the ship's wifi, open the app, and register. The registration just asks for you name and stateroom number, that's how they bill you for the use of the app on the ship.

If in doubt, the crew are all pretty knowledgeable and once you're up and running you'll see how easy it is to use.

Link to get the app: https://www.ncl.com/downloads/iconcierge

User guide for the app: https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/iCONCIERGE_05132014.pdf

Hope this helps!

Is the $9 per devise an add-on to the WIFI package, or can you just buy that service? We're taking the grandchildren on this trip and trying to get them to "unplug", so I wasn't going to get the internet, but it would be nice to communicate with my husband while on the ship via cell phone. Thank you so much.

It's part of the iConcierge app from NCL.

Download the app (Google Play Store for Android phones, I don't know the iPhone site)to your phones before you get on the ship, then sign in onboard.