Not allowed to bring certain wines onboard?

nc350

Hi I saw something posted there are certain wines you can't bring onboard in Galveston? We are flying in from Canada and wanted to bring our couple of bottles on. We are going to stop somewhere ( suggestions welcome we fly into IAH)

I don't want to spend money especially with the exchange rate that they are going to confiscate. Any info would be appreciated :)

You'll drive right past Spec's Wine & Spirits, Downtown Houston, on Smith Street. A three story liquor store, probably the largest in Texas. Great selection there. They have other stores in Houston and Galveston but none as comprehensive as the Smith St store.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Think you might be getting confused with the limited menu of liquors and beers that Carnival serves while going out of Galveston, which is due to a Texas tax law. So there is set menu until the ship hits international waters.

But as far as what you bring on board, they don't care if its a bottle of two buck chuck or Dom Perignon, as long as it is a 750ml bottle.

I've never seen any limitation on type of wine, just size of bottle.

The comment I've heard from some is that sometimes the security agents don't know that, for example, port is a type of wine.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

I remember reading a post on cruise critic about this, but cannot remember which post it was. Someone was saying that the agent would not let them take their bottle of port thinking it was liquor and not wine...or something to that affect. So, you are not crazy! It was put out there. I am not sure what the consensus was on it, though. I am thinking it was escalated to a supervisor and finally allowed on. This was in Galveston.

A couple years ago on NCL (not on Carnival) we were almost not permitted to bring our bottle of wine on board due to it's alcohol content. It was a Dutch wine (purchased in Canada) and it was a stronger alcohol level than most "traditional" wines. The agent checking the bottles in examined the bottle quite closely since the writing on it was not in English. She found the alcohol content written on it and said "This is actually a little higher than I'm supposed to let through, but I will let you have it since it's clearly labeled as a wine." Their reasoning was that stronger alcoholic content means it is a "Liquor" and not a "Wine". So even though Carnival doesn't publish it in the FAQs on their website, I suppose they may have a similar "policy" that they follow sometimes.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hi I saw something posted there are certain wines you can't bring onboard in Galveston? We are flying in from Canada and wanted to bring our couple of bottles on. We are going to stop somewhere ( suggestions welcome we fly into IAH)

I don't want to spend money especially with the exchange rate that they are going to confiscate. Any info would be appreciated :)

Types of wine or types (sizes) of wine bottles (e.g., Balthazar, Salmanazar, Methuselah, and Jeroboam).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've taken home made wine on for years with no issues.

Not to high jack the thread, but are you bottling with a seal? Or just bottling with a cork?

I was told a long time back, like 2000 I think, that if it has a seal and says wine, they dont care... else they will reject it.

Not to high jack the thread, but are you bottling with a seal? Or just bottling with a cork?

I was told a long time back, like 2000 I think, that if it has a seal and says wine, they dont care... else they will reject it.

I just use a cork. Most of the time I use 1L bottles too and they don't say anything about it.

Sometimes Carnival agents or employees kind of make up their own rules. You should be fine as long as it is a wine and not hard licquor

This' date=' and when you go through the scanner take the bottles out and place them in the plastic storage containers provided. If you leave them [u']concealed [/u]in your carry on it gives the authority to check and search through the luggage , hand bags and what not. Just holds you up from boarding ;)

Edited by BoDidly

But as far as what you bring on board, they don't care if its a bottle of two buck chuck or Dom Perignon, as long as it is a 750ml bottle.

LOL @ "two buck chuck"!!! 😂😂 I'm going to have to use that one!! ❤❤❤