Power Strip Question

dreamovdocean

At WalMart, I purchased a Belkin product which DOES have surge protection, but I have used it the past 3 cruises with no issue. It has 3 outlets and 2 USB ports. Cost was approx. $20.

So has the rest of this thread convinced you to not take it on a cruise again?

Thank you everyone - I'm getting an education in ship wiring. I think it's always helpful to understand (well, as much as my mechanically-challenged brain is capable of understanding anyway) why these rules are important. It's very interesting and I appreciate the info.

Thank you also to everyone who actually answered the question - how to tell if a particular device is surge protected or not. It seems like in this case the cheaper devices are actually preferable. I think that I'll make a run to the dollar store/Walmart, etc. and see if I can just get a cheap 3 way splitter. That should be sufficient - we just want to make sure we have enough outlets to charge our 2 phones, camera, and camera batteries.

We also might like to bring along a small bedside alarm clock - I know we're going to be on vacation, but I get disoriented if I wake up in the night and don't know what time it is, and then I can't get back to sleep. We'll be on the Dream (spa balcony) - does anyone know if there is an outlet near the bed?

Thank you everyone - I'm getting an education in ship wiring. I think it's always helpful to understand (well, as much as my mechanically-challenged brain is capable of understanding anyway) why these rules are important. It's very interesting and I appreciate the info.

Thank you also to everyone who actually answered the question - how to tell if a particular device is surge protected or not. It seems like in this case the cheaper devices are actually preferable. I think that I'll make a run to the dollar store/Walmart, etc. and see if I can just get a cheap 3 way splitter. That should be sufficient - we just want to make sure we have enough outlets to charge our 2 phones, camera, and camera batteries.

We also might like to bring along a small bedside alarm clock - I know we're going to be on vacation, but I get disoriented if I wake up in the night and don't know what time it is, and then I can't get back to sleep. We'll be on the Dream (spa balcony) - does anyone know if there is an outlet near the bed?

No outlets by the bed. You can get a battery operated travel clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So has the rest of this thread convinced you to not take it on a cruise again?

Not even close. Information is good. We took our first cruise in 1996 - this will be our second. I've been saving for two years to go, dreaming about it for a lot longer than that, and finally convinced my husband the world won't come to an end if he takes some time off work. I'll have a great time even if there's no electricity :D

Typically, items that combine power outlets (110v) with USB ports will have surge protection. However, many multi-USB hubs claim "surge protection", since that is a "sexy" term, when in fact they only offer "voltage regulation". If a multi-USB hub only has a two-prong plug, then it is not surge protected. Get a cheap power strip for multiple power outlets, and a multi-USB hub with a two prong plug and you are good to go.

I trust you but what is the significance of the two prong plug?

Sent from my iPhone

I trust you but what is the significance of the two prong plug?

Sent from my iPhone

I think I have heard Chief state that the third prong indicates grounding, which on a cruise ship directs surges (on a surge protection device) to the hull which can over time cause issues on the ship. I've probably butchered the explanation but I'm sure Chief will be back to correct me and explain. :o

Edit: there are three prong, non-surge protected devices available. I have one which is a Belkin, it has a passthrough three prong plug and two USB charging ports. The manufacturer has stated to me that it does NOT contain surge suppression capability.

Edited by joepeka

It's an easy way to know that a device is not a surge protector. All surge protectors need the grounding (3rd) plug. So if it only has 2 prongs, you know it's safe to use.

Got it thanks to both of you.

Sent from my iPhone

Got it thanks to both of you.

Sent from my iPhone

As joepecka says, you can have devices with a three-prong plug that are not surge protected, as many devices used around the house have three-prong plugs.

A surge protector has semi-conductors connected between the power wires (hot and neutral in home parlance) and the ground connector. These semi-conductors do not conduct any current when the voltage between the power and ground is normal. When the power reaches the "clamping voltage" where the semi-conductor is designed to protect the electronics (usually 300v or 600v for 110v devices), the semi-conductor switches to become a zero resistance path (short circuit) to ground, so that all current flows from the hot/neutral to ground, and no current flows to the electronics. So, to be surge protected, you have to have a ground pin on the plug connecting the power strip/cube to the ground wiring in the house/ship.

USB chargers that claim surge protection, while only having a two-prong plug actually have "voltage regulation", where semi-conductors will turn off the flow of current to the electronics when the voltage gets too high, but will not dump this high voltage current to ground. Voltage regulation is susceptible to the very high voltages associated with power surges (lightning, etc) burning through or "jumping" from the high voltage side to the low voltage (outlet side) of the charger, so while they protect the electronics from "normal" voltage swings, it will not protect from the hundreds of thousands of volts present in a lightning strike.

However, due to the fact that the ground wire on a ship is not connected to "ground" as you would know it ashore (i.e. it is not connected to the hull of the ship), if lightning strikes the ship, it travels through the hull to the sea, without entering the wiring system in any way, so surge protection is not needed, and why none of the ship's electronics are protected with surge protectors.

I think I have heard Chief state that the third prong indicates grounding, which on a cruise ship directs surges (on a surge protection device) to the hull which can over time cause issues on the ship. I've probably butchered the explanation but I'm sure Chief will be back to correct me and explain. :o

Edit: there are three prong, non-surge protected devices available. I have one which is a Belkin, it has a passthrough three prong plug and two USB charging ports. The manufacturer has stated to me that it does NOT contain surge suppression capability.

Do you have a pic of it? I haven't seen a Belkin that isn't surge protected.

As joepecka says, you can have devices with a three-prong plug that are not surge protected, as many devices used around the house have three-prong plugs.

A surge protector has semi-conductors connected between the power wires (hot and neutral in home parlance) and the ground connector. These semi-conductors do not conduct any current when the voltage between the power and ground is normal. When the power reaches the "clamping voltage" where the semi-conductor is designed to protect the electronics (usually 300v or 600v for 110v devices), the semi-conductor switches to become a zero resistance path (short circuit) to ground, so that all current flows from the hot/neutral to ground, and no current flows to the electronics. So, to be surge protected, you have to have a ground pin on the plug connecting the power strip/cube to the ground wiring in the house/ship.

USB chargers that claim surge protection, while only having a two-prong plug actually have "voltage regulation", where semi-conductors will turn off the flow of current to the electronics when the voltage gets too high, but will not dump this high voltage current to ground. Voltage regulation is susceptible to the very high voltages associated with power surges (lightning, etc) burning through or "jumping" from the high voltage side to the low voltage (outlet side) of the charger, so while they protect the electronics from "normal" voltage swings, it will not protect from the hundreds of thousands of volts present in a lightning strike.

However, due to the fact that the ground wire on a ship is not connected to "ground" as you would know it ashore (i.e. it is not connected to the hull of the ship), if lightning strikes the ship, it travels through the hull to the sea, without entering the wiring system in any way, so surge protection is not needed, and why none of the ship's electronics are protected with surge protectors.

Thanks as always

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In summary, Luke_Saint_Joe & CA_Cruzing are risking a fire in the wall endangering everyone, even if they only plug it in when they're in the room.

While cloudninecat, winddawn, firemanbobswife, and the type tap jwth2005 posted are not.

Just because staff didn't catch your surge-protected device in the thousands of suitcases they processed, does NOT make it "allowed". Please, save it for land applications, and get a cheap Target "splitter" or tap for the ship.

For our upcoming cruise, I bought a simple extension cord, a USB charger plug with several USB ports (it's downstairs in my suitcase so I don't remember exactly how many), and a set of 5 USB/microUSB cords (color coded so each of the 4 people in our cabin will have one).

Not fancy but not surge protected so no risk of fire.

In summary, Luke_Saint_Joe & CA_Cruzing are risking a fire in the wall endangering everyone, even if they only plug it in when they're in the room.

While cloudninecat, winddawn, firemanbobswife, and the type tap jwth2005 posted are not.

Just because staff didn't catch your surge-protected device in the thousands of suitcases they processed, does NOT make it "allowed". Please, save it for land applications, and get a cheap Target "splitter" or tap for the ship.

Just to be clear, the use of a surge protector does not mean a fire in the walls like you would have on shore from overloaded wiring. The surge protector itself will be the seat of the fire, as the semi-conductors go into thermal runaway and melt the surge protector device. This can happen even with current levels below the circuit breaker ratings, or the rated current of the wiring.

As you say, most staff are not technically trained to identify surge protectors, and most cabin staff are reluctant to annoy the cabin occupants, even about safety issues.

Finally, a surge protector can have been used several times in the past with no problems (though the more times they are subjected to shipboard electrical systems, the more likely they are to fail), and can in fact be operating perfectly right up until the moment they burst into flames. This is because the most serious problem is caused when there is a ground anywhere else on the ship (and salt air and electricity causes grounds to be common), subjects your perfectly operating surge protector to reverse voltage (which the semi-conductors are not designed for, since they would never see this on shore), and this reverse voltage causes the surge protector that is in 100% fine condition to burst into flames. So, whether your surge protector fails or not is entirely out of your control, even when only plugging in when in attendance in the cabin.

Do you have a pic of it? I haven't seen a Belkin that isn't surge protected.

This is the one I have:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M102/

I checked with Belkin via two different communication channels and was told both times this one does not have surge protection. It has a manufacturer's warranty against damage to electronics and though I didn't ask them about that, I suspect it's (as Chief notes) an over-voltage protection feature. I like it because the USB ports have a higher output charging capacity which charges devices a little more quickly than other USB chargers we have.

Edit: we have not taken this on a cruise yet so I don't know if ship security would have an issue with it or not. I suspect not.

Edited by joepeka

Just to be clear, the use of a surge protector does not mean a fire in the walls like you would have on shore from overloaded wiring. The surge protector itself will be the seat of the fire, as the semi-conductors go into thermal runaway and melt the surge protector device.

Thanks Cheng, I stand corrected and informed! I had thought the fire could be remote from the cause.

But still, as former safety officer for my department at research center, I have watched (and shown) films of how fast a fire can spread even in a motel room. We don't want ANY fire asea.

This is the one I have:

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8M102/

I checked with Belkin via two different communication channels and was told both times this one does not have surge protection. It has a manufacturer's warranty against damage to electronics and though I didn't ask them about that, I suspect it's (as Chief notes) an over-voltage protection feature. I like it because the USB ports have a higher output charging capacity which charges devices a little more quickly than other USB chargers we have.

Edit: we have not taken this on a cruise yet so I don't know if ship security would have an issue with it or not. I suspect not.

Looks neat. I like it!

I really want to thank everyone for all this good information - I sincerely appreciate it, and it has helped me to make a much more informed decision. This is the combination we decided to go with (basic 3-way splitter, 3 port usb hub, battery operated travel alarm):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EU4HBO/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G3XGPCE/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HN9LRF8/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost less than $30 for all of it, and the travel alarm will come in handy on our summer camping weekends.