Zika Warning

jules71

She probably wouldn't elaborate because she didn't really know.

From the CDC website:

https://www.cdc.gov/zika/healtheffects/index.html

What we know

Zika infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects and is associated with other pregnancy problems.

Several countries that have experienced Zika outbreaks recently have reported increases in people who have Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).

Current CDC research suggests that GBS is strongly associated with Zika; however, only a small proportion of people with recent Zika virus infection get GBS.

Thank you for the info

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
From what I read on the CDC website, the virus can be transferred from infected people who are past the incubation stage. This is of particular importance to possible infection from crew or pax who are on B2B cruises, not only direct mosquito contact.

Zika is only spread by mosquito bite or sexual contact. NOT casual contact.

Four days out from a cruise on the Reflection and everyone in our group got text messages and emails with warnings about Zika and an offer to change itineraries for anyone pregnant or planning pregnancy. Is this unusual? Is there a new warning? If not, why would they wait until 4 days out to offer to change itineraries? Really confused by this.

i am on your sailing (Saturday) and got a phone call too but there was nothing

about changing itineraries.

Mosquitos are frequent visitors in what I like to call indoor/outdoor bathrooms in warm climates. Normal plumbing, but usually no A/C, and sometimes no windows. I have seen mosquitoes in these public bathrooms in Hawaii, St Marteen, St Barts, the Baths at Virgin Gorda, and San Juan. This is one time bug spray and protective clothing may not work!

A couple weeks ago I was waiting at my pharmacy for a prescription and a woman came in and asked the pharmacist where she could find an insect repellant with some new ingredient in it because she was leaving on a cruise in a few days and the CDC recommended a product with this ingredient in it. The pharmacist said he'd never heard of it so he researched it quickly on his computer and said it was so new that none of the products that are the norm even have the ingredient listed in them! It caught my attention because of my upcoming cruise! Now I'm wondering how many have contracted Zika while cruising in the Caribbean...oh well, I'm still going![emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

i am on your sailing (Saturday) and got a phone call too but there was nothing

about changing itineraries.

We got a phone call, email AND text message.

My take-away was that pregnant women should know the dangers and that they could cancel without penalty.

I think Celebrity is covering themselves in case someone (G-d forbid) has a child with problems and wants to sue.