Toddlers friendly van/taxi options?

amuth1130

Hello! I searched but didn't find anything recent. We will be traveling to Miami with our 3 year old and 15 month old. Flying in 2 days early, taking a shuttle to our hotel. Hotel is about 2 miles from the port. We are also staying one night in the same hotel on the end of our cruise.

Are there any recommendations on van or taxi companies that will bring car seats for them? We do not want to travel with both car seats. I know there are shuttles available, but has anyone use something else that provided car seats?

We only need transportation with car seats from hotel to port and then back to hotel again. We are covered with either bus or walking distance for everything else.

Thanks in advance!

Never heard of a taxi bringing car seats? :confused:

I have seen some Uber options that include a car seat - availability will be low and prices high. :( For private transport in Miami the go to suggestion on this board is Larry's Limos

Have you looked at portable car seat options from Amazon or other sites? https://www.amazon.com/BubbleBum-Inflatable-Booster-Black-Silver/dp/B00AQYZCXK/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1484781779&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+car+seats I would also search on the family board to see what others have done.

Thanks!! Inflatable I think would be ok for my older one, not sure about my youngest, I need to look into it, though. I have not dealt with taxis or others that provided car seats but apparently they do exist, i read on some older posts but I can't find anything current. I will look into the limo place, too, thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As previously mentioned, try searching the Family cruise board to see what others cruising with children have done: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The airline will check the seat for free if you choose not to use it on the flight. ;) Bringing your own car seat ensures that it is properly sized for your child and properly maintained.

Not having a car seat means you cannot safely use taxis and some other vehicles during port visits.

You can rent them in Fort Lauderdale.. they deliver to your hotel and pick up at the port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rent car seats? Source? Website? Phone? :confused:

Edited by JohninDC

Part of the availability problem is likely the fact that, under Florida law, car seats are not required in vehicles driven by professional drivers.

So car seats are at the discretion of the adults who are caring for the children.

Part of the availability problem is likely the fact that, under Florida law, car seats are not required in vehicles driven by professional drivers.

So car seats are at the discretion of the adults who are caring for the children.

This is wrong information!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry...the only time you are not required to use a car seat is when riding on large shuttle's or a bus.

Sorry...the only time you are not required to use a car seat is when riding on large shuttle's or a bus.

Here is the statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

Please note that I am not saying this is right, but it is Florida law. Read it the way you want. :D

What this means is that the caretaker/parent is held responsible for SECURING their children in the proper car seats.

The taxi driver/Uber etc can not be cited for having an unsecured child.

Since Jan 2015-The new law makes parents, not vehicle operators, responsible for SECURING children in restraint seats, even in cabs and limousines. Parents found in violation can be penalized by three points against their driver’s license, plus a fine.

Parents bear the responsibility of putting their children in seats in cabs and limousines, and the operator of the for-hire vehicle is not liable, the law says

It is the LAW that children are placed in the proper child restraints in those for hire vehicles ( I believe shuttle buses are exempt only )

Edited by IndyDenise

Here is the statute:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.613.html

(6) The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation. It is the obligation and responsibility of the parent, guardian, or other person responsible for a child’s welfare as defined in s. 39.01 to comply with the requirements of this section.

Please note that I am not saying this is right, but it is Florida law. Read it the way you want. :D

Gently,

You are reading it wrong,

So I am reading ( the whole statue ) the correct way!

Its not in a parents best interest to provide incorrect information which may result in , if nothing else, no way to use Uber/Taxis.