Questions about Chef's Table

MJSailors

A question for the OP or anyone who has experienced the Chef's Table-

Could you please tell me the cost for two, how does one arrange for it and is it available on all the Princess ships?

I have seen the area for the dinner on the Regal - curious if it is available fleet wide.

Thank you for any information.

Could you please tell me the cost for two, how does one arrange for it and is it available on all the Princess ships?

I have seen the area for the dinner on the Regal - curious if it is available fleet wide.

The chef's table dinner is $115 per person on the Royal and Regal, and $95 per person on all other ships.

To reserve you just have to call the DINE line. It is recommended that you call as soon as you board as the limited spaces can fill up quickly.

It is a wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.

A quick question for the OP (or anyone else that might know the answer) - how many tables for 2 are there in the CC dining area on the Regal? I was a bit concerned to read reports that there was only a very small number of them (6 IIRC) on one of the other ships.

There are plenty! At least 8-10 in one area and similar in the area behind. They will sit you on a table of 4 (just the 2 of you) if there is low demand. You will be fine. Some tables are near others, some are a decent distance. I've never had a bad experience 10 days in!

Re Chefs table, yes pricing is as mentioned. Our first week I asked our concierge to book it around 1pm boarding day and we were told we were too late as it had sold out. On week 2 on our B2B cruise he suggested I come and see him dead on midday when reservations open, which I did. Much to his credit when I popped in at 11.59 am, he told me had had just put our name forward. The next day evening we got confirmation for the following night! Be very quick, as these do go. Mind you, 2 years ago I asked on our Asian cruise a day in, and we got lucky. I guess it depends on demand, but since this is Lumiere, it is extra special.

So hot today! So busy by pool too, just came in for our delicious balcony tea. All good.

The chef's table dinner is $115 per person on the Royal and Regal, and $95 per person on all other ships.

To reserve you just have to call the DINE line. It is recommended that you call as soon as you board as the limited spaces can fill up quickly.

Around $80 if you don't want the wine.

There are a few things I might add to Shutterbug's response based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

• There is a discount (I think it's $15) if you do not care to drink Champagne/wine.
  • When you call the DINE line, the operator will take your name which, effectively, puts you on a request list. You will be advised of your actually getting a reservation via a letter delivered to your cabin within 24 to 48 hours.
  • The DINE line operator probably will not be able to tell you which evening the Chef's Table will occur. The date will be dependent on different factors: the ship's itinerary, the Executive Chef's schedule, the Maitre d's schedule.
  • The DINE line operator may quiz you about food allergies. There seems to be inconsistency from ship to ship about their tolerance for food allergies. Some people have reported that their allergies have been accommodated. In our experience it was it seemed that people with food allergies were not encouraged to participate.
  • If you do make the list, the letter that is delivered to your cabin will explain when and where to meet the Maitre d'. We also had to complete and sign a document stating that we had no allergies.

There are a few things I might add to Shutterbug's response based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

• There is a discount (I think it's $15) if you do not care to drink Champagne/wine.
  • When you call the DINE line, the operator will take your name which, effectively, puts you on a request list. You will be advised of your actually getting a reservation via a letter delivered to your cabin within 24 to 48 hours.
  • The DINE line operator probably will not be able to tell you which evening the Chef's Table will occur. The date will be dependent on different factors: the ship's itinerary, the Executive Chef's schedule, the Maitre d's schedule.
  • The DINE line operator may quiz you about food allergies. There seems to be inconsistency from ship to ship about their tolerance for food allergies. Some people have reported that their allergies have been accommodated. In our experience it was it seemed that people with food allergies were not encouraged to participate.
  • If you do make the list, the letter that is delivered to your cabin will explain when and where to meet the Maitre d'. We also had to complete and sign a document stating that we had no allergies.

Is Formal Wear required?

Is Formal Wear required?

Since you are in the dining room, I would assume that the requested dress for Chef's Table is the same as the rest of the room. If it is a "Formal" night, I would assume that formal dress is requested.

The evening we did it was a "Smart Casual" night. I wore an aloha shirt and a pair of slacks. I felt better dressed than some of the men at the table but not as well-dressed as the suit-wearing gentleman who sat next to me at the table in the dining room, who, in my view, turned out to be the most engaging person at our table.

It is also possible that the Chef's Table is never scheduled for a "Formal" night. (Maybe somebody here on Cruise Critic can report a more informed opinion than mine.) For one thing the participants are required to wear a white linen jacket for the galley portion of the event. Clearly, you can wear the linen jacket over a suit jacket (one in our party did so), or a dinner jacket, or a dressy gown, but that kind of defeats the purpose if your are trying to show off your finest. Also open-toed shoes are not allowed in the galley. I really don't know much about women's shoes but somebody might want to show off their glittery strappies, and that would not be allowed.

I have had the pleasure of doing the Chef's Table 5 times so far, and they have all been held on Smart Casual nights. However, I can't say that it has never been offered on a formal night because I simply don't know.

As to whether or not open toe shoes are permitted .... in my experience, it has varied from ship to ship. Even though the confirmation letter says they are not, at the meeting with the Maitre`d or his designee, the day before the dinner, to explain and review the details of the whole experience, that topic, as it applies to that particular ship, has always been addressed. So when packing for a cruise, if I am planning to try for the Chef's Table list, I always make sure I pack a pair of closed toe shoes, just in case.

It is also possible that the Chef's Table is never scheduled for a "Formal" night. (Maybe somebody here on Cruise Critic can report a more informed opinion than mine.) For one thing the participants are required to wear a white linen jacket for the galley portion of the event. Clearly, you can wear the linen jacket over a suit jacket (one in our party did so), or a dinner jacket, or a dressy gown, but that kind of defeats the purpose if your are trying to show off your finest. Also open-toed shoes are not allowed in the galley. I really don't know much about women's shoes but somebody might want to show off their glittery strappies, and that would not be allowed.
My husband and I have been to the Chef's Table on a formal night.

The women who wanted to have open-toed shoes wore closed-toed shoes and brought their open-toed shoes in a tote or plastic bag. They then changed shoes after the galley portion of the tour.

Likewise, the men who wanted to take off their jackets were reunited with them after the galley section of the tour. (Staff takes care of this and the bags with the ladies' shoes.)

The linen jackets are removed after you leave the galley. Therefore, we were all dressed in our best when the photos were taken (although our feet can't be seen in the photos).

The women who wanted to have open-toed shoes wore closed-toed shoes and brought their open-toed shoes in a tote or plastic bag. They then changed shoes after the galley portion of the tour.

Likewise, the men who wanted to take off their jackets were reunited with them after the galley section of the tour. (Staff takes care of this and the bags with the ladies' shoes.)

The linen jackets are removed after you leave the galley. Therefore, we were all dressed in our best when the photos were taken (although our feet can't be seen in the photos).

Those are very good work-arounds. Thanks for your contribution, Carolyn.

Just wondering, for PAX, why no open toe shoes allowed? And why do they have to wear white dinner jackets?

BTW: YOU are the OP (original poster). :D

I posed this question as part of another thread started by Ian,who was sailing on a b2b on the Regal Princess.

He had been posting about his cruise and was pleased he could attend the Chef's Table on his second cruise,as seating at this event was not available on his first cruise.

He was also describing,in great detail,the experience he and his DW were having as CC level passengers in one of the MDRs.

I have no idea how my question to him,the OP of the thread, became a thread under my Cruise Critic name.

I am well aware of who the OP was of that post !!!!

I have too much intelligence than someone who would think to write a post and address it to myself as the OP !

Thank you !

There are plenty! At least 8-10 in one area and similar in the area behind. They will sit you on a table of 4 (just the 2 of you) if there is low demand. You will be fine. Some tables are near others, some are a decent distance. I've never had a bad experience 10 days in!

Re Chefs table, yes pricing is as mentioned. Our first week I asked our concierge to book it around 1pm boarding day and we were told we were too late as it had sold out. On week 2 on our B2B cruise he suggested I come and see him dead on midday when reservations open, which I did. Much to his credit when I popped in at 11.59 am, he told me had had just put our name forward. The next day evening we got confirmation for the following night! Be very quick, as these do go. Mind you, 2 years ago I asked on our Asian cruise a day in, and we got lucky. I guess it depends on demand, but since this is Lumiere, it is extra special.

So hot today! So busy by pool too, just came in for our delicious balcony tea. All good.

BTW , JF - retired RRT

This is one of the gentleman 's posts that answered my question about the dinner.

Ian 441672 was the OP to whom I was referring to when posing my question.

Nñnn

Just wondering, for PAX, why no open toe shoes allowed? And why do they have to wear white dinner jackets?
The no open toe shoes requirement is something some ships follow. Other maître d's/chefs are more lenient. I have done three Chef's Tables and remember one where the ladies were allowed to wear open toe shoes. I think it's a safety measure, thinking that a closed toe shoe will offer some protection in case something falls in the galley. And it's not a white dinner jacket, it's more of a smock that you wear while in the galley. It's for sanitary purposes.

Thank you.

We recently did a galley tour after a cooking demo in the Princess Theater, and was not as part of Chefs Table galley tour. There were plenty of PAx taking the tour wearing shorts, t-shirts, sandals. Go figure.:confused:

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We recently did a galley tour after a cooking demo in the Princess Theater, and was not as part of Chefs Table galley tour. There were plenty of PAx taking the tour wearing shorts, t-shirts, sandals. Go figure.:confused:

The difference is that during the Chef's Table visit to the galley the kitchen staff is at work preparing meals, and you're graciously served pretty fabulous hors d'oeuvres and unlimited champagne by the chef (once it was Alfredo himself) while the cooking goes on around you. Therefore the extra safety and sanitation measures.

It's a very different experience from being herded through depopulated galley areas. (And, needless to say, a much better one.)

Edited by shepp

[/color]63187]The difference is that during the Chef's Table visit to the galley the kitchen staff is at work preparing meals' date=' and you're graciously served pretty fabulous hors d'oeuvres and unlimited champagne by the chef (once it was Alfredo himself) while the cooking goes on around you. Therefore the extra safety and sanitation measures.

It's a very different experience from being herded through depopulated galley areas. (And, needless to say, a much better one.)[/quote']

Thanks for explaining.

The no open toe shoes requirement is something some ships follow. Other maître d's/chefs are more lenient. I have done three Chef's Tables and remember one where the ladies were allowed to wear open toe shoes. I think it's a safety measure, thinking that a closed toe shoe will offer some protection in case something falls in the galley. And it's not a white dinner jacket, it's more of a smock that you wear while in the galley. It's for sanitary purposes.

The difference is that during the Chef's Table visit to the galley the kitchen staff is at work preparing meals, and you're graciously served pretty fabulous hors d'oeuvres and unlimited champagne by the chef (once it was Alfredo himself) while the cooking goes on around you. Therefore the extra safety and sanitation measures.

It's a very different experience from being herded through depopulated galley areas. (And, needless to say, a much better one.)

As geoherb says, these are not dinner jackets; they are more like the white clinical jackets that your physician might wear during an office visit. Also, there are usually some white lab coats, which cover more and are better for protecting the ladies' dresses. The reason for the closed-toe shoes is for foot protection (dropped objects, stepped on toes, stubbed toes, tripping, etc.) It is also true that not all Maitre d's are as strict about the shoes.

As both geoherb and shepp point out, the reason for the white coats is sanitation, to cover your regular clothing. We were told on our tour that the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program needed a lot of convincing and rules in place before guests could be allowed in the galley while actual food preparation and serving were going on.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that each guest is required to do a thorough, supervised hand washing at the start of the tour. I'm a little surprised that guests are not required to wear hairnets or hats during the galley visit.

I suspected that the "no open toed shoes" rule were a part of health and safety regulations. Whether the purpose was to protect the visitors toes from an accident or to protect the kitchen from toe fungus is not clear to me. The fact that the policy differs from ship to ship surprises me, though. I will add that in my one Chef's Table experience while we were having the Champagne and noshes in the galley, I was standing in a noticeably deep puddle of water on the floor.

While I agree that the uses of the linen jackets might provide protection for the guests clothes. I am also of the opinion, that putting everybody in these jackets makes it easy for the facilitators and the galley workers to identify the guest visitors. As we moved from station to station, the facilitators could easily keep track of visitors who are lagging or wandering. I also noticed that galley workers--servers picking up food, cooks behind the various lines--were extremely courteous and friendly with us.

Can someone who uses a scooter go on the galley tour portion of the chef's table?

That's a good question. I really do not recall if we were quizzed on our mobility when we did it. It seemed to me that there was plenty of room in the galley walking areas. So, a scooter operator should have sufficient room to maneuver, and others, workers and visitors, would have sufficient room to walk about while accommodating the scooter operator.

But what do I know?

If a definitive answer does not pop up here on Cruise Critic (Is there such a thing?), I would suggest that if anybody with a scooter wanted to try the Chef's Table, they make their request on embarkation day, and see if it is deemed to be a problem.

While I agree that the uses of the linen jackets might provide protection for the guests clothes. I am also of the opinion, that putting everybody in these jackets makes it easy for the facilitators and the galley workers to identify the guest visitors. As we moved from station to station, the facilitators could easily keep track of visitors who are lagging or wandering.

No need for these jackets to identify the visitors.

Unless you are wearing a waiter uniform or an assistant waiter uniform, you are obviously a visitor.