Closest rental car to port of miami

ski_mom

Avis & Hertz both have downtown Miami locations close to POM - about a $12 cab ride. some reports on these boards that these locations get over run with cruise ship customers sometimes, resulting in long waits for reserved cars. MIA is only 15 or so minutes away by cab or shuttle (National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise).

Edited by JohninDC

Several times I have used Budget and it has been a breeze. We are using them again pre and post cruise in March. They have a downtown location (about a mile from the port) and have a free shuttle to and from the port.

Do you know which budget car rental is the one close to the port? There are a bunch in Miami. Thanks!

Thank you for your help!

And actually, I'm not very good with google maps. There's probably a better way, but the only thing I know to do is plug the addresses in one at a time to check and that's hard to do when I'm on my phone. I guess I need to look into it more. Would definitely be helpful to have a better method.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Do you know which budget car rental is the one close to the port? There are a bunch in Miami. Thanks!

Yes, the Budget office by the POM is the one on SE 2nd ST. there is also an Avis office in the same building, I've just always used Budget.

Everything I read said to avoid using the local car rental agents. They just can't handle the large cruise ship crowds. Just hop on the shuttle that goes to MIA and you will be in and out in no time. I just booked with Alamo and apparently I don't even need to talk to an agent. Just grab a car and go.

Thank you for your help!

And actually, I'm not very good with google maps. There's probably a better way, but the only thing I know to do is plug the addresses in one at a time to check and that's hard to do when I'm on my phone. I guess I need to look into it more. Would definitely be helpful to have a better method.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.

You can put in an address (port of Miami in this case) and then there's a thing to search nearby.

Google maps does not work for you? :confused:

89 SE 2nd St, and I believe I recall seeing the Avis office very close to this location.

Avis is right next door.

There is also an almao location in the Intercontinental Hotel. Enterprise is located in the Hyatt.

Has anybody had experience using the car rental shuttles from the port to the closest car rental agencies (Budget/Avis on a Sunday)? We plan to self disembark early and get a rental car to drive home @ a 9 hour drive. Don't want to spend a lot of time waiting for a shuttle to fill up and wait in line at the car rental place. Maybe use Uber to MIA and get car there????

Taxi to MIA from POM will be $27+tip and Uber should be about $15 or so. the ride takes 15 or so min - should be no traffic on a Sunday. Getting your rental car at MIA should be quick and easy, plus you get to skip the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami. :rolleyes:

Taxi to MIA from POM will be $27+tip and Uber should be about $15 or so. the ride takes 15 or so min - should be no traffic on a Sunday. Getting your rental car at MIA should be quick and easy, plus you get to skip the "excitement" of driving in downtown Miami. :rolleyes:

Thank you. I have never used Uber--guess I need to download the app. Timing wise--do you set a time up in advance or should I call when I hit the street? Will be coming off a Transatlantic and will have to go through immigration.

Edited by cluso

• 1 year later...

As of August 30, 2018, is there still a free shuttle bus that runs from the port of Miami to the Miami airport operated by National and Enterprise. I know there used to be one but did it also get chopped like the one that used to operate at Fort Lauderdale Port Everglades to the FLL Airport. The Pier to Airport shuttle (Pier Everglades to Fort Lauderdale) was no longer in service this past December 2017. Is it still operational for Port Of Miami to Miami Airport. If so, can I hear from someone who used it recently (actually for both FLL and Miami) if possible.

Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service from the Miami International Airport Rental Car Center which is located across from Miami International Airport to the Port Of Miami. They also run the free shuttle service in the opposite direction. Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. The downtown Miami locations tend to get very busy on turnaround days and are a lot smaller than the larger Miami International Airport Rental Car Center.

To my knowledge there is no free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami to Fort Lauderdale/ Hollywood International Airport. There are many transportation companies that charge per passenger or if you are looking to spend a little more and have reliable transportation contact Larry’s Limos. They have reasonable rates, knowledgeable drivers, and clean vehicles. I personally recommend them to all my friends and relatives when they are visiting the South Florida area.