Clarification just venting

dbrucern

Last week I posted "Just Venting" and for some reason a lot of people did not understand what I was asking and the thread went a bit south. We got our answer from Carnival this past week and here it is. We are Platinum and this is the first time this is happened to us but now we have an understanding of how it works.

Our 4 day Victory cruise for Jan 4 2018 was booked and paid for (balcony room total 960.00). The cruise was cancelled by Carnival because the Victory is going in dry dock. You do not get your money back and you must choose a comparable cruise. In other words we booked a 3 - 5 day cruise and we must rebook a 3 - 5 day cruise for the guarantee early saver rate. We wanted to exchange for a 6 day on the Vista also at early saver and pay the difference for the same type of balcony room (we had the L-shaped balcony which would mean paying an additional $1000 which we were fine with paying but we could not because it is a 6 day cruise. My venting was that none of the other ships that do a 3 - 5 day cruise are comparable to the Victory which is 30,000 tons larger and they do not have the L-shaped balconies or offer some of the amenities such as the Alchemy bar. Now we know how it works and we are booked on the Sensation. Not our first choice and not really happy but thats life and after all it is a cruise.

You do not get your money back and you must choose a comparable cruise.

This is not legal. They breached the terms of the contract. Ask your credit card to reimburse you. Credit card trip insurance would help here. Be firm and unwavering.

Call again and speak to someone else. Some of those people that work at the call center have no clue

If they give you a hard time-- tell them about the breach of contract and you are not getting what you paid for.

then call your credit card agency

As much as I like Carnival I find this to be very disturbing and wrong. They cancelled the cruise, not you, you are entitled to receive a full cash refund, period. Are they telling folks that can't make a different comparable cruise that it's just too bad and they are out the money? I'm not a lawyer but I don't understand how that could even be legal? In my opinion, they failed to uphold their part of the contract. :eek:

A friend just got off the sensation and the food was bad she said. I would never go on a cruise unless it's a new boat any cruise line. I've had great times on all the newer ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Vista has many complaints about food, so your booking conditions hit a snafu just like that.

I've been on the Sensation twice and the food was great. Better than on the Magic. Less people to serve. We had no complaints. Sensation is one of the nicer fantasy class ships IMO.

I am also surprised that you weren't able to just cancel and rebook your cruise but I am still a relative newbie. Even if Carnival wouldn't give you a full refund, couldn't you have just cancelled and taken the early saver penalty of $50 per person and then rebooked the cruise you wanted with the balance of the deposit they give you in future cruise credit?

In any case, the Sensation is going in to dry dock next month and getting a whole bunch of upgrades:

Guy’s Burger Joint (replace food service, Off the Grill and Rotisserie)

BlueIguana Cantina (replace food service, Mongolian Wok)

RedFrog Rum Bar (replace pool bar)

BlueIguana Tequila Bar (replace pool bar)

Alchemy Bar (replace Polo Lounge)

Cherry On Top (replace Special Occasion)

Camp Ocean (replace Camp Carnival)

Crew area renovations

Also, food reviews are so insanely subjective. Before our cruise in December I read a zillion reviews of the Liberty, and then we got switched to the Valor and read a zillion more. Food reviews were ALL over the place. DH and I had no complaints about the food at all, except for the lack of tortilla chips at Blue Iguana (but that's a petty gripe!)

I've just read through the Carnival ticket contract on their web site and perhaps someone with better eyesight and a little more time will see something I don't but there does not appear to be anything covering cancellation of a cruise by the cruise line except for conditions beyond their control. It doesn't seem reasonable to classify a cancellation one year in advance for a scheduled maintenance downtime as "...beyond the control of Carnival." The cancellation was at their convenience although I suppose they could say the maintenance facility dictated the dates that Victory could be accommodated and therefore was beyond their control but that's really, really weak and represents very poor advance planning of their future ship maintenance schedules.

I'm with the others here (particularly those who have had cruises cancelled under similar circumstances and received refunds) in advocating continuing to pursue this with Carnival.

Edited by joepeka

Strange. I have have two booked cruises cancelled due to full ship charters and all the money was refunded with no future booking requirements.

Charters are under different rules ?

Edited by BoDidly

Did you talk to a travel agent? If not, you need to. A travel agent will go out of their way to please you, because they are counting on you to use them again. I had a similar experience when the Liberty was dry docked. I talked to a travel agent from Carnival and it was arranged. Do not give up! It will work if you are nice to them while telling them your situation. It worked for me! Several years ago the Triumph caught on fire before our cruise. Not only did the pay for the flight change, they put us on a similar cruise for half price. It was impressive. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've just read through the Carnival ticket contract on their web site and perhaps someone with better eyesight and a little more time will see something I don't but there does not appear to be anything covering cancellation of a cruise by the cruise line except for conditions beyond their control. It doesn't seem reasonable to classify a cancellation one year in advance for a scheduled maintenance downtime as "...beyond the control of Carnival." The cancellation was at their convenience although I suppose they could say the maintenance facility dictated the dates that Victory could be accommodated and therefore was beyond their control but that's really, really weak and represents very poor advance planning of their future ship maintenance schedules.

I'm with the others here (particularly those who have had cruises cancelled under similar circumstances and received refunds) in advocating continuing to pursue this with Carnival.

Here you go courtesy of Bigman01

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/port-cancellation-policy.aspx

CRUISE CANCELLATION AND ITINERARY CHANGE POLICY

CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

OP just cancel your cruise and move on. You are not even close to the final payment date. You are getting hosed.

Bill

Here you go courtesy of Bigman01

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/port-cancellation-policy.aspx

CRUISE CANCELLATION AND ITINERARY CHANGE POLICY

CRUISE CANCELLATION

If a cruise is cancelled, guests will have the option to receive either a cash refund or a future cruise credit.

OP just cancel your cruise and move on. You are not even close to the final payment date. You are getting hosed.

Bill

Thanks Bill (and Bigman01). I was specifically looking for something in the contract that would allow Carnival to take the tactic they did with the OP but what you posted above makes it pretty clear they cannot. :)