Poor internet packages

elapel01

Wow, has Celebrity changed their internet packages. Last year I was still able to buy a package of so many minutes and spread it out over the week. Doing a 10 day cruise and choices were only 1 hr, 24 hrs and the no limit package for $224!!! I'm pretty mad at such horrible packages. So now people can't contact us unless it's an emergency and they have to call. Also I need to use computer to pick our seats 2nd last day so I will have to buy the 1 hour package. I'm sure computer people or guest relations won't do anything about it. Celebrity is obviously trying to get people to buy Go Best.

Did you not get any perks when you booked ? If so maybe you should of taken the internet if it is that important, personally I normally put my phone away and shut off on cruises and am sort of sad that we get free internet on our next cruise.

You can always use the wi-fi on shore there are usually spots that have free wi-fi right off the ship, or buddy up with a suite guest and ask them if you can log on to your airline, guessing that is what you meant by "pick seats", on the day you need to pick your seats.

It is not like they hid the price / minutes of the packages from you right ?

When I was on Silhouette in November they still had all of the packages including the 90 minute package available on the ship. You could not purchase them in advance but once on board they were available when you did your initial setup.

Also if you are Elite or above you will get free minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, has Celebrity changed their internet packages. Last year I was still able to buy a package of so many minutes and spread it out over the week. Doing a 10 day cruise and choices were only 1 hr, 24 hrs and the no limit package for $224!!! I'm pretty mad at such horrible packages. So now people can't contact us unless it's an emergency and they have to call. Also I need to use computer to pick our seats 2nd last day so I will have to buy the 1 hour package. I'm sure computer people or guest relations won't do anything about it. Celebrity is obviously trying to get people to buy Go Best.

I sympathise, I too was horrified at the new pricing on our recent cruise, who wants to use an hour all at once:eek:. Previous cruise Nov 2015 I was happy to buy a number of minutes to use when I liked. As I pointed out in my feedback on recent cruise, I would have spent $25 or $50 for internet on as you go basis but instead spent zilch:D

I've never understood minutes when the world charges by data usage. So, while it was certainly pricey, at least the unlimited package made sense as a typical internet access plan. I could also handle pay as you go for data (not time) or a fixed amount of data (say 2-4 GB for a 7 day cruise), but minutes just doesn't make sense.

Do they have an option to not purchase a package and then just pay as you go at a certain price per minute? That's what I just ended up doing on our last NCL cruise. The lowest package price they had was like $70 for 100 minutes... I just connected and disconnected a few times throughout the cruise as needed and only spent around $25

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do they have an option to not purchase a package and then just pay as you go at a certain price per minute? That's what I just ended up doing on our last NCL cruise. The lowest package price they had was like $70 for 100 minutes... I just connected and disconnected a few times throughout the cruise as needed and only spent around $25

Not at the present time.

Try this: talk to the people on your roll call. Find out if there are others who need internet access. Once on the ship, one of you will purchase an UNLIMITED internet package.

The people who want to use that package will pay an equal oart of the cost; and then be provided with the access code.

Cheaper to pay 10% of the cost than each person pay fell price....

I'm lucky , as one of my cabin perks is the unlimited package. Any of my travel companions is welcome to use mine, especially sine this is a perkless repo cruise we're going to be on.

We used to do the same things in the 1980s, with international calling cards....

Just my $0.02....

Try this: talk to the people on your roll call. Find out if there are others who need internet access. Once on the ship, one of you will purchase an UNLIMITED internet package.

The people who want to use that package will pay an equal oart of the cost; and then be provided with the access code.

I'm lucky , as one of my cabin perks is the unlimited package. Any of my travel companions is welcome to use mine, especially sine this is a perkless repo cruise we're going to be on.

We used to do the same things in the 1980s, with international calling cards....

Just my $0.02....

Disregarding the ethics of this suggestion, whenever someone logs in with the code it would kick off anyone currently using it. The access can only have one session active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I sympathise, I too was horrified at the new pricing on our recent cruise, who wants to use an hour all at once:eek:. Previous cruise Nov 2015 I was happy to buy a number of minutes to use when I liked. As I pointed out in my feedback on recent cruise, I would have spent $25 or $50 for internet on as you go basis but instead spent zilch:D

It is not necessary to use all the internet minutes you purchase at one sitting. You may log in and out at will.

Disregarding the ethics of this suggestion, whenever someone logs in with the code it would kick off anyone currently using it. The access can only have one session active.

True about one active session but the suggestion works. I have shared a package the last three cruises. As far as the ethics.......a Captains Club hostess suggested it to me. Celebrity has not said don't do it. I don't need to be on all the time so it has worked out. They took away the old way of only buying what we needed.

Edited by Charles4515

Really surprises me how concerned people are about Internet service on a cruise ship. One of my favorite parts about a cruise is logging off from the real world, figuratively and literally.

Someone always trots out that mantra.

Some people need maintain some contact with the world and other people like to keep in contact. To each their own needs.

Just my $0.02....

Hello!

Does anyone know how much this package is? We board next week.

Thanks in advance

Cathy

Hello!

Does anyone know how much this package is? We board next week.

Thanks in advance

Cathy

It's based on the number of days in your cruise. If you log in to your cruise planner, there should be an option to buy it in advance. Around $250 for a 7-day cruise. If you have status in Captain's Club, you can get a discount. They sometimes sell different packages onboard the ship.

Really surprises me how concerned people are about Internet service on a cruise ship. One of my favorite parts about a cruise is logging off from the real world, figuratively and literally.

Just because ONE can disconnect doesn't mean that everyone can disconnect.

People have all sorts of reasons for remaining connected: sick family members; work reasons; prior commitments; etc etc.

Just because ONE can disconnect doesn't mean that everyone can disconnect.

People have all sorts of reasons for remaining connected: sick family members; work reasons; prior commitments; etc etc.

Just a few years ago it was nearly impossible to connect at all. No one really HAS to connect but times have changed and people expect to be able to connect. I prefer the old way of unplugging. I like to not be in contact on vacation!

Just a few years ago it was nearly impossible to connect at all. No one really HAS to connect but times have changed and people expect to be able to connect. I prefer the old way of unplugging. I like to not be in contact on vacation!

Absolutely!!! I remember those days; my first cruise was in 1978....

It was very difficult for my brother to contact us, in 1990, to let my mother know that her sister had passed away. Things are much easier now.

To each his/her own....

Absolutely!!! I remember those days; my first cruise was in 1978....

It was very difficult for my brother to contact us, in 1990, to let my mother know that her sister had passed away. Things are much easier now.

To each his/her own....

There is a difference between real emergencies and what most people are talking about with being "in touch." In 1990, you could contact the cruise company to relay a message to the ship. In more recent times, people had the ability to reach the ship with an expensive phone call, or passengers could plug in when they got to port. Now most people are "in touch" by sending a text to see if the cat is ok or to make sure Olive did her homework or they're checking work email to see that, yes, they were copied on the weekly distribution of project deadlines. There is a difference, so stop with the false equivalency. Even with an emergency at home, there isn't much you can do to get from the middle of the ocean to where you need to be.

There is a difference between real emergencies and what most people are talking about with being "in touch." In 1990, you could contact the cruise company to relay a message to the ship. In more recent times, people had the ability to reach the ship with an expensive phone call, or passengers could plug in when they got to port. Now most people are "in touch" by sending a text to see if the cat is ok or to make sure Olive did her homework or they're checking work email to see that, yes, they were copied on the weekly distribution of project deadlines. There is a difference, so stop with the false equivalency. Even with an emergency at home, there isn't much you can do to get from the middle of the ocean to where you need to be.

So fine, you unplug. I like to hear news from home and what is happening around in world. I don't want to be unplugged. Being connected is part of who I am.

Some people's life sucks so much that they don't want to be reminded of any of it when away from home. A cruise is a great fantasy world and stress reliever. I get that, but we are all different.

This thread is about the internet packages. Not lecturing people about what they choose to do on vacation. You are not adding anything to the thread.

Keep on hatin bewag. I've put you on IGNORE. I can't see your past, present, or future posts....

So fine, you unplug. I like to hear news from home and what is happening around in world. I don't want to be unplugged. Being connected is part of who I am.

Some people's life sucks so much that they don't want to be reminded of any of it when away from home. A cruise is a great fantasy world and stress reliever. I get that, but we are all different.

This thread is about the internet packages. Not lecturing people about what they choose to do on vacation. You are not adding anything to the thread.

I thought I was participating in a conversation rather than a lecture. I have already provided information about the packages. I also provided an opinion on what I like to do for myself and was met with a response that said I don't care about dying relatives. :rolleyes:

I thought I was participating in a conversation rather than a lecture. I have already provided information about the packages. I also provided an opinion on what I like to do for myself and was met with a response that said I don't care about dying relatives. :rolleyes:

I am sure you do care about dying relatives. But not everyone can disconnect whether they can do anything or not. When I was away I did give some advice which turned out to be helpful. Even if they can't do anything some want to be, need to be or should be in the loop.