Le Havre

NJ Fred

We make port in Le Havre on 13 April sailing in aboard the Regal.

Can any one say, with reasonable certainty, how much time the Princess tour to the American Cemetery actually allows passengers to remain at the grave sites?

I have a certain grave (non-family member) to visit and perform a small ceremony of honor at on that day and this info is critical to me.

We have considered private, non Princess excursions or a car rental. I am loathe to rent a car given the distance and my abominable understanding of French. I assuming the cost of a limo or taxi would be astronomical, assuming one can be procured.

Any specifics will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Fred

Edited by NJ Fred

Can any one say, with reasonable certainty, how much time the Princess tour to the American Cemetery actually allows passengers to remain at the grave sites?

I have a certain grave (non-family member) to visit and perform a small ceremony of honor at on that day and this info is critical to me.

We have considered private, non Princess excursions or a car rental. I am loathe to rent a car given the distance and my abominable understanding of French. I assuming the cost of a limo or taxi would be astronomical, assuming one can be procured.

Any specifics will be sincerely appreciated

Thank you in advance,

Fred

Best wishes to you. God Bless and God Speed.

My father and my father in law were both WWII veterans. The dedication you are demonstrating is very moving to me.

Please let us know how it all goes.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

You have no doubt considered locating the grave in the American Cemetery in Normandy ahead of time. While not as large as Arlington, for example, it is daunting and can be a bit overwhelming in the midst of all the white markers.

Here is a website that you could (if you haven't, already) use to direct your focus in the area of the grave you are seeking Knowing the general location will save time on your tour.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1990757

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Spideysmum

Did the Normandy Beaches/Cemetery using Overlord Tours several years ago.

There were eight of us and the Guide was very flexible.

We also used them and had about an hour here. I would make sure they know what you are looking to do to make sure they allocate enough time

Any specifics will be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Fred

God bless you Fred. There are certain places that my emotions do not allow me to go. Military cemeteries, holocaust museums, downtown Manhattan, to name a few. I am wondering how to handle the Pearl Harbor museum next month.

God bless you Fred. There are certain places that my emotions do not allow me to go. Military cemeteries, holocaust museums, downtown Manhattan, to name a few. I am wondering how to handle the Pearl Harbor museum next month.

I definitely concur with your first sentence.

Please know that the Pearl Harbor Visitors' Center and the Arizona Memorial are done in a tasteful manner, and they are a must for anyone visiting Hawaii.

Go for sure. Fellow veterans or their family members or their acquaintances will support you during your visit. A must.

I definitely concur with your first sentence.

Please know that the Pearl Harbor Visitors' Center and the Arizona Memorial are done in a tasteful manner' date=' and they are a must for anyone visiting Hawaii.

Go for sure. Fellow veterans or their family members or their acquaintances will support you during your visit. A must.[/quote']

Thank you.

Thank you one and all. For the record, I am a Vietnam Veteran.

Let me expand a bit. A gentleman whom I met via Facebook is a retired Air Force Major General (I served 4 years in the USAF). During a luncheon he flabbergasted me by bestowing a special Commander's Medallion - to say I was flabbergasted is an understatement. We stood up together - in a classic NJ Diner - and exchanged salutes. It moved me to tears.

I told the General how my wife and I had visited the American Cemetery in 2013 on an Emerald Princess TA. Sidebar: on the voyage and tour with us was Marian Ross who played the mother on Happy Days; a wonderful and compassionate lady in real life - - no snobbery in this lady.

I also told him that we were going back to the Cemetery when Regal Princess made port on 13 April of this years.

It was then that he told me his great Uncle was among the war dead buried there. I requested permission from the General to lay the Medallion he awarded me on his Great Uncle's grave. His response is something I will not forget.

I have located the grave using online resources. I confirmed the identity with the General and will, by the Grace of God, accomplish my mission. I have emailed the Cemetery authorities to make certain this is allowable since I am not related to the buried hero.

Hence, my concern that sufficient time is available if I take a Princess tour.

May Almighty God always Bless and watch over our war dead in Normandy and elsewhere. They died so we can take to the seas in freedom and peace.

For me, it was an honor to serve the United States via wearing her uniform.

God Bless my sister and brother Veterans.

Thank you all for your guidance and encouragement.

Fred

I am looking at Overlord Tours right now. Those that did it in a van with 8 people, were you crowded in the van or would 6 be more comfortable?

Thanks

There were eight of us on my Tour and did not have a problem with comfort.

Highly recommend them.

Thank you one and all. For the record, I am a Vietnam Veteran.

Let me expand a bit. A gentleman whom I met via Facebook is a retired Air Force Major General (I served 4 years in the USAF). During a luncheon he flabbergasted me by bestowing a special Commander's Medallion - to say I was flabbergasted is an understatement. We stood up together - in a classic NJ Diner - and exchanged salutes. It moved me to tears.

I told the General how my wife and I had visited the American Cemetery in 2013 on an Emerald Princess TA. Sidebar: on the voyage and tour with us was Marian Ross who played the mother on Happy Days; a wonderful and compassionate lady in real life - - no snobbery in this lady.

I also told him that we were going back to the Cemetery when Regal Princess made port on 13 April of this years.

It was then that he told me his great Uncle was among the war dead buried there. I requested permission from the General to lay the Medallion he awarded me on his Great Uncle's grave. His response is something I will not forget.

I have located the grave using online resources. I confirmed the identity with the General and will, by the Grace of God, accomplish my mission. I have emailed the Cemetery authorities to make certain this is allowable since I am not related to the buried hero.

Hence, my concern that sufficient time is available if I take a Princess tour.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2322339

May Almighty God always Bless and watch over our war dead in Normandy and elsewhere. They died so we can take to the seas in freedom and peace.

For me, it was an honor to serve the United States via wearing her uniform.

God Bless my sister and brother Veterans.

Thank you all for your guidance and encouragement.

Fred

I inserted a link to your Roll Call.

Some one on the Roll Call may be doing a private Tour.

Would give you more time at the cemetery.

Your "mission" is very honorable.

No matter what choice you make -- Good Luck.

Edited by GeeDunk

Definitely consider Overlord. We used them last year when the CB stopped in LeHavre. They were very accommodating and I'm sure if you told them what you wanted to do, they would provide not only enough time to find the grave but would most likely help guide you to it. The American Cemetery and all it stands for will forever be a highlight of that trip.

Hi Fred

I am also on the Regal Princess and have booked a private Normandy tour for 4/13/17. I am on the roll call. You can email me directly for further information. It is a small private tour with normandyguidedtours.com. The guide's name is Francis. I currently have space available. Review his web page and contact me if interested.

Kathleen. Email dokatdam@msn.com

Hi again Fred

I forgot to mention that the guide is accommodating and will work with us. You can contact him and mention I suggested you contact him. He may be able to assist you and since our group will be small I am sure we can work with you to accomplish your mission.

Kathleen

I think you would be much better off on a private tour, regardless if it is more money it will be worth it. Your plan to pay honor to an individual grave is lovely, but my experience is that there is very limited time on your own on ships tours and the guide can't be flexible as he/ she has a strict time schedule to adhere to.

We did DDay beaches on our own with a rental car from a cruise ship stop at Cherbourg in order to spend as much time as we wanted at the visitors center, cemetery, and time to walk down to the beach. We happened coincidentally to be there on 9/11, to add to a very moving experience.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I visited various WWII cemeteries in Normandy in the late 80s.

The vast majority of them are impeccably maintained.

I remember crying like a baby at the grave-site of my uncle.

War is such a HORRIBLE thing.....so many young lives lost, so

many, many dreams shattered.

It is an emotionally draining experience reading the names and

ages of the fallen heroes, no matter which side they were on.

To think of what could have been.

I contacted ACSM tours with a view to visiting Juno beach from Honfleur, as there were no Canadian Landing Beach tours organised from Azamara Quest last September. They actually researched history which I gave them from my father's war record. I could have gone on a private tour, but it was pricy (€500+) I choose a tour for 6 people. Unfortunately, due to terrorism, in France in 2016 many people choose not to travel, so the tour didn't take place, but ACSM did a wonderful job on the research.

acsm-tours@hotmail.com