Passport cards

jgmpuma

No, I wouldn't argue with him, I'd speak to his supervisor (or gotten his name and written to the CBP supervisor of the port).

You know, I think I will look up that information on the CBP site(s) to see what I can find out.

It happened to him both in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, so it just might be that either they are uninformed or don't care.

You know, I think I will look up that information on the CBP site(s) to see what I can find out.

It happened to him both in Miami and Ft Lauderdale, so it just might be that either they are uninformed or don't care.

Here you go: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

"What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

•U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card."

Of course only a limited number of states issue the EDL and some people confuse licenses issued under the REAL ID act as being EDLs, but they are two different things.

I got the card 3 years ago to go on a cruise so I didn't have to take my BC and marriage license, ect. I ended up getting a passport this year because we wanted to spend a week in the Bahamas. My advice is just get the passport. It's good for 10 years.

Here you go: https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

"What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

•U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card."

Of course only a limited number of states issue the EDL and some people confuse licenses issued under the REAL ID act as being EDLs, but they are two different things.

Thanks, I did email them with the question, got a response, due to the overwhelming demand answers might take up to three weeks..........

I just got an answer back, if you could call it that. Its the same link you posted here. SO, I emailed back again with the specifics, so lets see where that takes us.

I just got an answer back, if you could call it that. Its the same link you posted here. SO, I emailed back again with the specifics, so lets see where that takes us.

I'm not surprised, the person answering you is likely a Public Affairs person that doesn't work at a port of entry, so has no real experience. Your providing specifics may result in your message being forwarded to someone with field experience. They might say "CBP officers have the authority to request additional documentation to verify the traveler's citizenship and identity" which is true, but dodges the question.

As someone that lives near the Canadian border, (and flies out of a airport in Canada regularly) I can say from experience that most people have a "NEXUS" card in addition to a passport. The NEXUS card enables us to get into a shorter line at the border and gets us through quickly (since they have done a background check on us). The cost is only $10 year (cards are good for 5 years). This is part of the "Trusted Traveler Program which includes "Global Entry" (Global Entry is used at most large airports in the U.S. and enables you to bypass the long lines that you face at airports when returning to the U.S.)

IMO, real passports is the best way to go. Passport cards, NEXUS cards, etc. are a nice addition but I would not depend solely on them. Last, with the emphasis this week on protecting our borders, I suspect that cruise passengers will require passports for closed loop sailings - it is just a matter of time.

As someone that lives near the Canadian border, (and flies out of a airport in Canada regularly) I can say from experience that most people have a "NEXUS" card in addition to a passport. The NEXUS card enables us to get into a shorter line at the border and gets us through quickly (since they have done a background check on us). The cost is only $10 year (cards are good for 5 years). This is part of the "Trusted Traveler Program which includes "Global Entry" (Global Entry is used at most large airports in the U.S. and enables you to bypass the long lines that you face at airports when returning to the U.S.)

IMO, real passports is the best way to go. Passport cards, NEXUS cards, etc. are a nice addition but I would not depend solely on them. Last, with the emphasis this week on protecting our borders, I suspect that cruise passengers will require passports for closed loop sailings - it is just a matter of time.

I also live on the border and fly from Canada and most of the people that I know have either a passport card or EDL. I use my EDL to cross the border for day trips and if flying from Montreal retrieve our passports from my safe deposit box. I don't believe any illegal alien has ever entered the US as a passenger on a closed loop cruise so I believe the current regulations will remain in place.

I also live on the border and fly from Canada and most of the people that I know have either a passport card or EDL. I use my EDL to cross the border for day trips and if flying from Montreal retrieve our passports from my safe deposit box. I don't believe any illegal alien has ever entered the US as a passenger on a closed loop cruise so I believe the current regulations will remain in place.

While not a passenger, a crew member from our ship was taken into custody in Miami last month for attempting to enter the U.S. illegally. We don't know how many times this happens with crew members. While it would be more difficult with passengers on a cruise ship, as the old saying goes..... "if there is a will, there is a way".

While not a passenger, a crew member from our ship was taken into custody in Miami last month for attempting to enter the U.S. illegally. We don't know how many times this happens with crew members. While it would be more difficult with passengers on a cruise ship, as the old saying goes..... "if there is a will, there is a way".

The key point here is "taken into custody". Crew members are required to have a boat load (pardon the pun) of documentation for this very reason. Still fail to see how requiring a US citizen to have a passport would decrease the likelihood of a non-US citizen trying to sneak in that way.

The key point here is "taken into custody". Crew members are required to have a boat load (pardon the pun) of documentation for this very reason. Still fail to see how requiring a US citizen to have a passport would decrease the likelihood of a non-US citizen trying to sneak in that way.

Not trying to argue -- your question goes back to the point that Drivers' Licenses and birth certificates are easier to forge than U.S. Passports.

Not trying to argue -- your question goes back to the point that Drivers' Licenses and birth certificates are easier to forge than U.S. Passports.

Why would a US citizen forge either? Why would an illegal alien take the risk, just to go on vacation (and leave the country they snuck into to begin with)? Authentic documents are verifiable through databases and those databases are checked while the cruise is taking place. If something doesn't add up then CBP will have questions before the person involved is cleared. I trust that when DHS wrote the regulations they took everything into account and since they are the experts I'll trust their judgment.

Why would a US citizen forge either? Why would an illegal alien take the risk, just to go on vacation (and leave the country they snuck into to begin with)? Authentic documents are verifiable through databases and those databases are checked while the cruise is taking place. If something doesn't add up then CBP will have questions before the person involved is cleared. I trust that when DHS wrote the regulations they took everything into account and since they are the experts I'll trust their judgment.

I could not disagree with you more. Illegal aliens take the risk every day. Birth certificates are almost impossible to verify. If you think that a cruise line with 3,000+ passengers on a closed loop itinerary are able to verify every birth certificate for their passengers, I have a igloo to sell you in Mexico. (Don't take that as a slam - just cannot believe that this could possibly happen).

For posters discussing Mexico, are you reading the news? Mexico will likely be the first place where closed loop itineraries will require passports. And, as an aside (a good topic for another thread), those of you that enjoy tequila may want to buy a stock now - before a large tax is put on imports from Mexico (and all tequila is from Mexico).

I could not disagree with you more. Illegal aliens take the risk every day. Birth certificates are almost impossible to verify. If you think that a cruise line with 3,000+ passengers on a closed loop itinerary are able to verify every birth certificate for their passengers, I have a igloo to sell you in Mexico. (Don't take that as a slam - just cannot believe that this could possibly happen).

For posters discussing Mexico, are you reading the news? Mexico will likely be the first place where closed loop itineraries will require passports. And, as an aside (a good topic for another thread), those of you that enjoy tequila may want to buy a stock now - before a large tax is put on imports from Mexico (and all tequila is from Mexico).

Stop and think about this for one tiny second- if they are an illegal alien they are already here, why would they forge a document in order to leave? Closed loop cruises are boarded at a US port. They come back to the same US port. Birth certificates are contained in databases and may certainly be checked by the government (they are not the cruise line). If a non-US citizen does board a closed loop cruise (for example, our Fascination cruise picked up passengers in Barbados) then they would need passports to board (as would any US citizens boarding there, come to think of it).

Other than cruising, my wife and I never leave the country (she does not fly). We have always gotten by with birth certificate, but as we get a little older we have some concerns about getting stranded in another country.

I have heard of passport cards. Apparently they are easier to get and cheaper than full-blown passports.

Would these work?

As others have said, if your motivation is to be able to get home mid-cruise, a passport card will be of no help. If you are on an island you must fly and only a passport book will allow you to fly home.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums