Land/Sea with Coeliac Disease

K8T

Hi

We are thinking of booking our first HAL cruise to Alaska, we are actually booked on the Disney ship, but the deal with the land part, including Denali, Fairbanks etc., is better value for money with HAL and having done DCL for the last six years, we could do with a change!

We are not new to cruising have done one a year, sometimes two for the last 20 years, but we have never done HAL.

I have searched the threads and see that the ships are a bit hit and miss, but generally cater well, has anyone experience of the land part and how easy that is?

If my daughter who is 12, has gluten, she is in agony with tummy pain and then the next day will be needing to use the bathroom several times, so it really would spoil our trip. We are from the UK and plan to spend 14 nights cruising and touring, so don't want it spoiled. Disney has always been very geared up and will have practically everything gluten free.

Any experiences would be useful.

Also while posting, how do you find the kids club for 12/13 year olds? Most of the posts I searched seem to relate mostly to younger children.

Many thanks:)

Although it is great to do a land tour, you may encounter food problems for your daughter.

Neither HAL, Disney or any cruise land have control over the type of food that is available for your daughter.

You would be wise to do a cruise only.

Maybe you should check HAL's 14 day itinerary on the Amsterdam.

Kids would be bored on the land trip portion. Long bus rides, long train rides. I've done several non HAL cruise tours and there were no kids on our tours. I saw a few teens at a couple lodges.

I agree with previous advice, the cruise option is best.

If you really want to see some of the land, rent a car and drive a few hours to Talkeetna from Anchorage. On a clear day you will see the Denali range. However you will have no control over food options and keep in mind Alaska is very very rural. Driving distances are long. Something listed as a "town" in a tour guide may consist of a gas station and a small grocery store.

Thank you for the replies, we were really hoping to see a bit more of the area than just a cruise, it's suvpch a long way to fly, we wanted to see as much of the region as we could, hence combining a land trip.

However, I appreciate what you are saying.

I'm not too worried about our daughter being bored, she loves travel, we've been to lots of places that could be perceived as boring, especially as she loves, wildlife, Indians, bears, huskies and is obsessed with wolves!

I wonder if we should just do the Disney, although the stops aren't so good and take time either end in Vancouver and the island, with perhaps a trip to Seattle, Canadian restaurants will probably be easier too.

I though I had a good idea with HAL, maybe not!

Thanks anyway.

Can you bring a supply of safe foods for just the land portion? If she has an attack on those long bus rides, that too would be another consideration.

Yes I could, although would have to get them in Vancouver, but I don't think that would be an issue. Good thinking about the bus rides, although I'm sure they make regular stops for the 'older' passengers, if my experience of cruise tours is anything to go by, usually at a convenient gift store!

I hadn't thought Alaska may be a problem, but appreciate the isolation side of things, we went to Tanzania a year ago and had no problems, even in the middle of the Savannah!

We did a cruise w my daughter who has Celiac on HAL with absolutely no problems. They even have special toasters in the buffet to be used only for gluten free bread. I have never done AK with Disney but as Disney I believe does not go to Glacier Bay, I would not pick them for an Alaska cruise. Remember, in AK it is not what is in the ship but what is outside of the ship that counts.

DON

Thank you for the replies, we were really hoping to see a bit more of the area than just a cruise, it's suvpch a long way to fly, we wanted to see as much of the region as we could, hence combining a land trip.

However, I appreciate what you are saying.

I'm not too worried about our daughter being bored, she loves travel, we've been to lots of places that could be perceived as boring, especially as she loves, wildlife, Indians, bears, huskies and is obsessed with wolves!

I wonder if we should just do the Disney, although the stops aren't so good and take time either end in Vancouver and the island, with perhaps a trip to Seattle, Canadian restaurants will probably be easier too.

I though I had a good idea with HAL, maybe not!

Thanks anyway.

You had a good idea with Holland America for Alaska over Disney. Either Princess or HAL would offer superior itineraries including Glacier bay.

Some of us have reservations about taking a ten year old on a land tour. You can still do the cruise portion and sightsee by rental car from Anchorage and Vancouver. You will see more on the one way sailings, either north or south bound than on the round trips out of Seattle and Vancouver.

I have mixed feelings about Disney, we like a lot of what they do but it would be my last choice for Alaska. Frankly, standing in line for pictures with Goofy is fine in the Caribbean but I would not waste valuable time doing that in Alaska.

We plan to take our extended family up there in a year or two, probably on Princess, cruise only. Disney would not be a consideration for Alaska.

K8T,

We had no problems with HAL accommodating my moms severe food allergies (among which is gluten). You do need to contact special needs and you get a huge form in which you can choose what type of gluten free stuff she would like (pizzas, muffins, cookies, pasta, bread, waffles etc.)

When we had a full day ashore and 0 stops (driving on the Troll Road means no restaurants), the chef in the Lido made her a lunch package, which was very sweet. Sadly, cold gluten free waffles apparently taste like cardboard, so next time she would just ask for some bread.

Never did Alaska so unsure of how the land portion would go. Remember that most airlines will allow extra luggage in case of food allergies if you have a letter from the dietician or doctor.

While I have never done the land portion of Alaska with HAL or other cruiselines. I have sailed on HAL to Alaska several times. I had no problems on the ship. There were times I would have liked more choices, or better choices, but there were choices in both the dining room and in the Lido. I also found acceptable choices in port to have a nice lunch.

If I were doing an all day excursion that offered lunch, I would check with the excursion desk when boarding and let them know my needs. They in turn contact the tour operator to confirm that a gluten free lunch was needed. I cannot imagine that a HAL hotel would not have gluten free choices. I always carry a factory wrapped bar with me when going ashore.

I do a Google search for each stop to see what is available gluten free. I often find several options.

Disney may do a better job of desserts and other food presentations but for Alaska I would choose HAL.

A special diet would not be an issue on the ship. On the land portion you will be choosing where you will purchase your meals. The bus will make designated comfort stops about every two hours....and while there is a bathroom on the bus most people prefer not to use it. The train ride is long and the restroom gets lots of use!

Most people with children will find it more convenient and economical to rent a car. That way you can stop when and where you want. I have been on several cruisetours and it is an older crowd with HAL.

Take a look at the 14 day Great Alaskan Explorer that takes you to Homer, Kodiak, and the port of Anchorage and at the excursion opportunities offered in each port.

Hi

We are thinking of booking our first HAL cruise to Alaska, we are actually booked on the Disney ship, but the deal with the land part, including Denali, Fairbanks etc., is better value for money with HAL and having done DCL for the last six years, we could do with a change!

We are not new to cruising have done one a year, sometimes two for the last 20 years, but we have never done HAL.

I have searched the threads and see that the ships are a bit hit and miss, but generally cater well, has anyone experience of the land part and how easy that is?

If my daughter who is 12, has gluten, she is in agony with tummy pain and then the next day will be needing to use the bathroom several times, so it really would spoil our trip. We are from the UK and plan to spend 14 nights cruising and touring, so don't want it spoiled. Disney has always been very geared up and will have practically everything gluten free.

Any experiences would be useful.

Also while posting, how do you find the kids club for 12/13 year olds? Most of the posts I searched seem to relate mostly to younger children.

Many thanks:)

I am concerned about your comment about the HAL land tour being a better value. Some of the shorter cruisetours are so short that you spend most-of your time in transit. The "Direct to Denali" have very long bus rides. The train is much more comfortable. Remember you need a minimum of two nights in Denali to make the trip worthwhile. Choose carefully if you choose a cruisetour!

Edited by oaktreerb

Thank you, what a lot of useful comments and ideas, thank you

You had a good idea with Holland America for Alaska over Disney. Either Princess or HAL would offer superior itineraries including Glacier bay.

Some of us have reservations about taking a ten year old on a land tour. You can still do the cruise portion and sightsee by rental car from Anchorage and Vancouver. You will see more on the one way sailings, either north or south bound than on the round trips out of Seattle and Vancouver.

I have mixed feelings about Disney, we like a lot of what they do but it would be my last choice for Alaska. Frankly, standing in line for pictures with Goofy is fine in the Caribbean but I would not waste valuable time doing that in Alaska.

We plan to take our extended family up there in a year or two, probably on Princess, cruise only. Disney would not be a consideration for Alaska.

I agree with everything you say here, we were a bit disappointed with the itinerary and the extra stops with HAL were why I started looking.

To be honest, we don't do the photo thing on Disney, we choose it because we like the ship (Magic and Wonder not the big ones). They cater well, we enjoy the shows and bars and our daughter is happy with the clubs. I am worried that it is going to be very much 'the same old' and that we should strike out a bit more, my daughter isn't into Princessess either. We haven't been in the refurbished Wonder either so that would be different.

Not worried about the land part, unless she is glutened! She is a very mature 12 year old and the year before last we went to Tanzania, touring around and she coped with that just fine - she loves it!

I am concerned about your comment about the HAL land tour being a better value. Some of the shorter cruisetours are so short that you spend most-of your time in transit. The "Direct to Denali" have very long bus rides. The train is much more comfortable. Remember you need a minimum of two nights in Denali to make the trip worthwhile. Choose carefully if you choose a cruisetour!

Thank you, the 'better value' was that for not much more than the price of the cruise and a stay in Vancouver either side, we could do HAL and the extra land part, with all the planning done. One I was looking at was three days Denali and a day in Fairbanks.

I think I may ring HAL. Get some confirmed prices, other half said last night, 'lets just do Disney and work around it'.

I am going to read your comments out to him.

Watch this space!:D

There was a 10 year old on my cruise tour a few years ago. She never complained and seemed to enjoy it. I wouldn't hesitate to take your daughter if you think she'll enjoy it - you know her best.

For comparison, I don't eat sugar (severe reactions) and on the land tours (or any shore excursions for that matter) I carry snacks safe for me to eat. As other posters have said, on the ship gluten free is not an issue, they'll take care of her. It's the tour part - but if she's used to eating in restaurants she should be okay. But I would have some foods safe for her with me.

Have a great trip!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I just popped back to say that we have stayed with the Disney Cruise, all paid up and flights booked.

I guess we just felt happier knowing we can relax and not be stressing about going to the right restaurants, preordering etc, she will also feel happier.

We are planning three days in Vancouver before and after the cruise, not sure what yet, but the planning starts now.

Thank you for all the help and advice. One day we will do another cruiseline again!

Hi Everyone

I just popped back to say that we have stayed with the Disney Cruise, all paid up and flights booked.

I guess we just felt happier knowing we can relax and not be stressing about going to the right restaurants, preordering etc, she will also feel happier.

We are planning three days in Vancouver before and after the cruise, not sure what yet, but the planning starts now.

Thank you for all the help and advice. One day we will do another cruiseline again!

Good call, and to avoid the worry best to stick with what you know works. Happy travels.