Select vs. Traditional Dining

mom02

I've read through several threads about this subject, but wanted to see if my impression of Select Dining is correct:

Select Dining is fine as long as you don't have a large party or are picky about what table you get...?

We have a 7 people including 2 small children in our group and would prefer the Traditional Early Seating time of 6pm, but have been told that it's not available. We are currently stuck with Select Dining and I'm nervous about all the negative things people have said about reservations not being honored and long wait times. Because we have a larger group, do you think I should continue to push for the Traditional Early seating? Or do you think as long as we get to the MDR by 6pm, we shouldn't have trouble getting a table with Select dining?

TIA!

I think you'd be fine showing up at 6pm and asking for a table for 8. You can also make a standing reservation in select dining room for same table every evening at the same time. I assume, with small kids you'd want a fairly early dining time. Usually lots of table available until 6:30 or so, depending on the cruise. You can also ask to be changed to select dining by visiting the maitre d' on the day you board the ship. Lots of folks will be switching around. Good lucK!

Are you wait listed for early traditional dining? If not that would be my first suggestion. Depending upon how long before you sail you may clear the waitlist.

If that doesn't work once on the ship see the MaitreD; one is normally at the entrance to the MDR on embarkation day and they may be able to move you.

We prefer Select Dining but we don't sail with a group. We have never waited for more than 5-6 minutes. The first night is usually a bit more difficult as people get settled, find there way around, people who don't plan on eating in the MDR the entire cruise are still assigned a MDR slot. etc. If You are still assigned to Select Dining shortly before sailing you can go on-line and make a reservation for your group of 7 at the time you want.

Set up a reservation online for each night at 6 PM if that's what you want. Way better than just showing up and expecting that they will have room for you right away.

Exactly right. Make sure your reservations are linked. Then call Celebrity customer service and make reservations in select at 6pm every night. Then, upon embarking on the ship, stroll over to the select dining entrance after you have lunch. The maitr 'd or hostess will be there. Confirm that all of you are reserved at 6pm and tell them you want to be seated together. You can even ask to be seated at the same table every night.b This way, if you are meeting there, everyone will know exactly where you are seated. There should be no problem at 6pm. It's around 7-7:30 that things get a bit backed up.

Exactly right. Make sure your reservations are linked. Then call Celebrity customer service and make reservations in select at 6pm every night. Then, upon embarking on the ship, stroll over to the select dining entrance after you have lunch. The maitr 'd or hostess will be there. Confirm that all of you are reserved at 6pm and tell them you want to be seated together. You can even ask to be seated at the same table every night.b This way, if you are meeting there, everyone will know exactly where you are seated. There should be no problem at 6pm. It's around 7-7:30 that things get a bit backed up.

Thanks for all the feedback! I hopped online and made reservations for 6pm for our group.

Where is the select dining entrance?

I love the idea to request for the same table every night, I'll be sure to do that!

Thanks for all the feedback! I hopped online and made reservations for 6pm for our group.

I love the idea to request for the same table every night, I'll be sure to do that!

It depends upon what ship you are on. Look at the deck plans for your ship on Celebrity's website. The MDR is usually aft with entrances on two decks. Anyone on the crew, greeting you upon embarkation, can tell you which deck entrance it is.

We have 7 in our party on every sailing and choose Select dining. You've done the right thing by going online and reserving the early slot, however, X will not guarantee the same table and waitstaff each evening in Select. You can request it with the Maitre d', and you will stand a good chance getting it if you go early, but they will not guarantee it ;). We have been moved on previous cruises, even when we requested the same table and staff ;).