Press Release on Edge

dkjretired

Oh I really don´t care how is responsible for the design- some people may like it or not. X- should not just built new ships but make they could make use of " designer" how to get back as they used to be. No Designer however big a name he has can fix their decline!

• 1 month later...
Celebrity cruises is known for being vague and releasing very few details. A world renowned designer would not put his name on anything that he didn't have a say in.

"Oh here is this brand new ship.... This is what it is going to look like... look at these great designs... Isn't is beautiful?? ...Oh I had nothing to do with it"

That doesn't happen when you are active and successful in your profession. That happens when you are retired, washed up and need money. Not the case for Nate.

But we will see. Check back for a "told you so!" in March :rolleyes:

I checked back and believe it was 2 British designers that have designed the cabins and other interiors, well according to yesterday's huge press release ;). Nate did introduce it though, as was predicted/stated.

The video on Edge part of X website features the main designers It seems they really did a great job...very upscale yet modern and fun! Nate Berkus was the name draw but not his work...

Just my humble opinion/observation here, but I think you all should keep in mind that it is a long time until the first ship will be commissioned -- they have only begun to cut steel at this point. As such, I see no reason to to believe that anything more than "concept" work has been done on the interiors. The final choices on surface treatments and furniture are still a long way off. If they have hired this guy to "present" whatever it is, I'm sure its a safe bet that his design ethic, whatever that is, will be part of the interior design process and whatever is his style will be reflected in the interiors of the ships.

Out of curiosity I looked at some of this guy's stuff and all I can see about him in particular is that he seems to like skinny metal legs on tables and chairs. Ho hum. But I'm a philistine when it comes to interiors, so what do I know?

Right with you on this. Also, there are plenty of famous people who "sell" their names to projects they have little to do with. Since I'm not a design fanatic, I have no idea who this fellow is. However, I did notice that he is not famous for cruise design. Personally, I think cruising is a unique experience. As such, the interior should be designed and decorated uniquely, both functionally and aesthetically. Not like a hotel jammed into a boat.

Right with you on this. Also, there are plenty of famous people who "sell" their names to projects they have little to do with. Since I'm not a design fanatic, I have no idea who this fellow is. However, I did notice that he is not famous for cruise design. Personally, I think cruising is a unique experience. As such, the interior should be designed and decorated uniquely, both functionally and aesthetically. Not like a hotel jammed into a boat.

Turns out he was just there for PR, didn't do the design. At the event yesterday was Kelly Hoppen who actually did the designs for the staterooms. Here's a link with some info on her if you scroll down.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/edge/

• 2 weeks later...

Celebrity Edge-class cost: c. $1.2 billion per ship. The contract is for 4 ships for $5 billion dollars:

“When you have to sign a contract for $5 billion, your hand shakes. But now that I've seen the design, my hand no longer shakes,” said Fain.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-13/the-celebrity-edge-is-the-most-innovative-cruise-ship-ever

If the Edge-class is expensive enough to make even Richard Fain's hand shake, that's saying something. The RCL Oasis-class ships cost at least this much each, but they are much, much larger. And so for the size of the ship, Edge is clearly aiming to be a stunning ship that will earn a premium price (and so far it seems to be working).

Looking back on it, I think the M-class ships cost about $350 million each, but adjusted for inflation that would be c. $500 million in today's money. I think the S-class ships cost about $750 million each, but adjusting for inflation that's probably c. $900 million today. Still, that means that the E-class ships, which are a similar size to S-class, are costing about $300 million more.

It's a huge amount of money. But, over the course of a projected 20-year or so life of a ship that initial cost gets much more manageable. For the first of the M-class ships, Millennium, if you divide its initial c. $500 million cost over the 17 years it's now been in service, it's c. $29 million a year. But the E-class will obviously be more than double that.

Edited by benjaminhuf