charge for flight changes?

jules815

I honestly don't know that answer to this...tried googling and it's only showing stand-by info. Thought I'd ask here before trying to call the airlines.

I have a flight booked for our upcoming Reflection cruise arriving the day before we sail. Flight leaves Chicago at 1:20pm, arrives 5:30ish. Just noticed there's a new flight for same day, but earlier at 8:30am. Flight is actually a little cheaper with the new time, but don't really care about that. Is it possible to change a flight, same airline, same day, but a different time, without incurring a fee? Would be nice to arrive a little earlier and be able to enjoy some of the day.

Depends on the airline and the type of ticket you have (different tickets come with different sets of rules); sometimes can also make a difference with your loyalty status with the airline. In general most (not all) airlines charge for changes under most circumstances. Southwest is an exception (you only pay and fare differences if the flight you are changing to is higher and actually receive a credit, with some restrictions, if the fare you are switching to is lower). On airlines that generally charge, some expensive fares come with fewer restrictions, but these are often much more expensive than typical tickets people purchase. On the other hand, sometimes deeply discounted (consolidator type) tickets have more restrictions than normal and might not be able to be changed even if paying a fee.

You can easily Google your airline and "change fee". The cost run around $125-200 per ticket.

A strategy that is often used is to keep track of any changes the airline might make in time, equipment etc. Changes to your originally booked flight may entitle you to changing without a penalty. I have used this a number of times.

A strategy that is often used is to keep track of any changes the airline might make in time, equipment etc. Changes to your originally booked flight may entitle you to changing without a penalty. I have used this a number of times.

Agree. Was going to suggest this too. Again the rules vary by airline. I would do a bit of research online so you know your rights before you call - they may not offer what you are entitled to if you don't ask.

Mike

If you booked within the last 24 hours, the legacy carriers will let you change sans penalty. Anything out side of that will usually have a $200 change fee plus difference in fares.

Best thing to do is not look at airfare after you purchased, you bought at a price that agreeed with you, that is the pic you are going to pay. Don't like he price don't buy.