NCL Spirit post Dry Dock

FSNA5861

the menus are pretty much the same....... Windows has a higher ceiling height due to auditorium seating above so it goes up into the void....... if you sit in the middle of garden away from the natural light/windows it can be a little dark, but some might call that romantic?? both are on deck 6 one is accessible from midships lifts one from stern lifts........... the oriental complementary restaurant SHOGUN was our least favourite of all the dining options on board....... (but all opinions are mine and you will be best trying them yourselves) the best I can say is, there have been some modes changes whilst in dry dock, entertainment/dining/ambience are all subjective. please go & enjoy yourselves :cool:

Regards Mark

We just came back from our first cruise ever on the Spirit (Mar 22/Barcelona) and agreed that menu and food quality is the same between Gardens and Windows, but Windows appear to feel roomier due to the higher ceiling and more windows (LOL). Shogun was also our least favourite and i wouldn't even recommend trying it.

I just got off the Spirit on 4/12/17. She's beautiful! Elegant ship, and they cleared out much of the Asian decorations, but left a few. Very uncluttered look now.

It appears all the carpets are new: not faded, stained, or worn from traffic. Our cabin, 4570, had new drapes, upholstery, and bed skirts. Immaculate bathroom. No smells at all.

Food snd service was excellent in the main dining room, buffet, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. We had none of the very long dinner times mentioned before.

Our cruise was very port-intensive, so we were too tired to check out the entertainment.

I loved this ship, crew, and the cruise was one of my best in 43 years of cruising!

Thanks for the report. We're only 31 days away now and really looking forward to it.

Can I ask if you used the NCL shuttle in Livorno or if you have the Daily for that day? I was wondering what time the service started to the station and what the cost was.

Hi, thanks for your positive comments. How were the cabins? I believe they are still quite dated, but were they still comfortable, and did the bed/mattress in your cabin seem new? I don't mind a dated cabin, but would mind if the bed was old and uncomfortable. Thanks

while the cabins looked dated, we were perfectly happy with ours. We were surprised by how comfy the bed and pillows were, and the washroom was quite spacious and clean as well. Crew does a good job cleaning and tidying each day. No complaints and would come back! (we had a inside cabin)

I cannot help with Livorno, since we cruised out of Barcelona, and took a ship's tour the day we docked in Livorno.

I did not find our cabin dated looking at all. Like I said, the carpet, curtains, and upholstery looked brand new. Great cabin, and I highly recommend 4570 for price and convenience. You are 5 cabins down the hallway from the gangway in most ports. Great midship cabin.

I cannot help with Livorno, since we cruised out of Barcelona, and took a ship's tour the day we docked in Livorno.

I did not find our cabin dated looking at all. Like I said, the carpet, curtains, and upholstery looked brand new. Great cabin, and I highly recommend 4570 for price and convenience. You are 5 cabins down the hallway from the gangway in most ports. Great midship cabin.

Thanks pcur.

I just got off the Spirit on 4/12/17. She's beautiful! Elegant ship, and they cleared out much of the Asian decorations, but left a few. Very uncluttered look now.

It appears all the carpets are new: not faded, stained, or worn from traffic. Our cabin, 4570, had new drapes, upholstery, and bed skirts. Immaculate bathroom. No smells at all.

Food snd service was excellent in the main dining room, buffet, Cagney's, and Le Bistro. We had none of the very long dinner times mentioned before.

Our cruise was very port-intensive, so we were too tired to check out the entertainment.

I loved this ship, crew, and the cruise was one of my best in 43 years of cruising!

Thank you so much for this great information! We are boarding the Spirit for the first time in only 17 days! I cannot wait! We are cruising out of Barcelona. Our cruise is also very port intensive (14 day cruise with only 3 at sea days) so we also may be too tired to enjoy evening entertainment. I know this will be an amazing vacation with an outstanding itinerary! Thanks again for your comments.

• 7 months later...
I did not see one in my sisters cabin. I think they are available only in suites and higher categories.

I have been in ocean view and balcony several times on the Spirit, and they have always had tea/coffee machines. Can't say for inside, but betting they do as well.

You can ask your room steward on board if you can have one placed in the room. I know my friends were actually missing their coffee machine in their balcony stateroom, however I had one. From what I understand they are available in balcony and above? Enjoy the Spirit, just sailed on her again in August and loved it!

I have been in ocean view and balcony several times on the Spirit, and they have always had tea/coffee machines. Can't say for inside, but betting they do as well.

Our group had 4 family inside cabins and an OV in October on the Spirit and none of them had a coffee machine.

Maybe it’s another NCL cut back.

Our group had 4 family inside cabins and an OV in October on the Spirit and none of them had a coffee machine.

Maybe it’s another NCL cut back.

I got back off the Spirit yesterday. We had coffee makers in our balcony cabins. I've never known an NCL ship to have coffee makers in anything below a balcony cabin.

I got back off the Spirit yesterday. We had coffee makers in our balcony cabins. I've never known an NCL ship to have coffee makers in anything below a balcony cabin.

We had a coffee maker in 9096 balcony cabin in April/May....a filter one lol. How old fashioned! Hope they’ve got pods now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a coffee maker in 9096 balcony cabin in April/May....a filter one lol. How old fashioned! Hope they’ve got pods now!

The pod type (Nespresso) are only in suites as far as I know. And in regards to Nespresso - not sure if Spirit has changed from LaVazza to Nespresso in the suites.

BaWBarmy, it’s been a while since I cruised the Spirit out of Spain... were you charged Spanish tax on anything? I have the drinks package, on which gratuities have already been prepaid..

thanks to you and everyone for the feedback

BaWBarmy, it’s been a while since I cruised the Spirit out of Spain... were you charged Spanish tax on anything? I have the drinks package, on which gratuities have already been prepaid..

thanks to you and everyone for the feedback

I’m not sure if your concern is about tax being charged throughout the whole cruise, but if so then that isn’t a problem on the Spirit at present. It only applies when the ship doesn’t leave the EU VAT area, which is fairly rare. The main one it applies to is the Epic round trip. Even in that situation, tax hasn’t been being charged when people have the UBP for a couple of years now.

On the current Spirit itinerary, tax has been charged in the past when the ship is actually in Barcelona (and sometimes Malaga, but that seems more random and may have been to do with Malaga occasionally being an embarkation port in the past). However, on my recent times leaving Barcelona no tax was charged on drinks obtained via the UBP even in Barcelona.

I’d be prepared to pay tax when in Barcelona, although it will likely be the case that it isn’t actually charged on drinks as you have the UBP. That way it’s a bonus if you aren’t

I’m not sure if your concern is about tax being charged throughout the whole cruise, but if so then that isn’t a problem on the Spirit at present. It only applies when the ship doesn’t leave the EU VAT area, which is fairly rare. The main one it applies to is the Epic round trip. Even in that situation, tax hasn’t been being charged when people have the UBP for a couple of years now.

On the current Spirit itinerary, tax has been charged in the past when the ship is actually in Barcelona (and sometimes Malaga, but that seems more random and may have been to do with Malaga occasionally being an embarkation port in the past). However, on my recent times leaving Barcelona no tax was charged on drinks obtained via the UBP even in Barcelona.

I’d be prepared to pay tax when in Barcelona, although it will likely be the case that it isn’t actually charged on drinks as you have the UBP. That way it’s a bonus if you aren’t

Thanks Keith, yes that is exactly what I am referring to, so glad to hear I won’t be subjected to more taxes each time I order a drink on my package lol!

We are just back from the Epic TA. The whole time we were in Spanish waters we were charged tax. The first time, I said we had been on the Spirit and never been charged. We went to Guest Services and spoke to a number of people, including the Beverage Manager. He said we definitely had to pay tax in Spanish waters, we argued the toss as to never having to pay before, but it fell on deaf ears. As UK people we had the all inclusive, as there is obviously no choice for us but to have it. There was no doubt we were told, this is a non-negotiable tax regardless of whether you pay for your drinks or have a package. We had to give in in the end and pay our dues. It was a bad start to the cruise and we had a bad finish in that due to immigration and Norwegian we not only missed our flights home, but were totally abandoned by Norwegian and told to make our own arrangements to get home. We had the full package with Norwegian and have an ongoing complaint with them. Apart from that the cruise was great!!

If charged, it is based on the retail price of the drinks consumed.

I wonder whether in that instance it was because they were on a TA, and not returning to Spain. My understanding is that the tax hasn’t been charged on the package during the round trips, so this seems to have been treated differently.

Luhaja how did they itemise this 18% tax on your drinks as you were ona package? Was it a daily flat fee you were charged or by the drink

It was by the drink. Not much per drink I know, but it was the principal of never having paid it before on the Spirit. It will be interesting to see if you are charged. Keep us posted and enjoy your cruise.

We sailed on the Spirit May 17, Venice to Barcelona so we disembarked about 6.30am! One of the first off, no chance for drinks. But when we sailed Costa we were not charge when sailing round Spain or in port. Thank you for bringing this to our attention though.