Brushing Teeth and washing hands

Celine77

Hello! We'll be taking my 4 and 5 yr old on their first cruise this April on the RCI Allure. As they cannot yet reach the sink at home and most everywhere else, I am wondering if there is a chair in the cabin that can be moved to the bathroom for them to stand on? We do this all the time at hotels but not sure if there is a chair in the cabin on this ship and if there is one, will it even fit into the bathroom? We will be in an oceanview balcony. Thanks!

If you call the cruise line and ask, they may have stools available (many hotels do as an accommodation for short stature adults). Or you could bring one of those little plastic fold up ones that wouldn't take much space in a suitcase. The bathroom is going to be really tight moving a chair in and out.

A lightweight plastic stool can be packed in your suitcase...simply turn it upside down, and pack clothes/pj's/undies, etc....in it! Adds no weight, and takes no space! There is no room for a chair in the bathroom, unless you have a suite!

I used to bring one of the cheap plastic steps. As others stated, they're light and take little space in luggage. Since it's inexpensive, it can be left behind. The bathrooms are SO small, it would be awkward to put a chair in there every time the kids need to reach the sink. With a step stool, it can just be pushed out of the way when not in use.

I'm going to propose something different. Get a clean bowl from the buffet, fill it with water and let your little ones use that to wash hands. Or if you don't need ice use the ice bucket instead of the bowl. Same with brushing teeth, have them spit into the bowl and rinse w clean water from a cup.

No need to pack anything extra, and no need to try and squeeze the stool into the bathroom.

Just some other options. Have fun!

I'm going to propose something different. Get a clean bowl from the buffet, fill it with water and let your little ones use that to wash hands. Or if you don't need ice use the ice bucket instead of the bowl. Same with brushing teeth, have them spit into the bowl and rinse w clean water from a cup.

No need to pack anything extra, and no need to try and squeeze the stool into the bathroom.

Just some other options. Have fun!

If they can't reach the sink, how are they going to reach the bowl or bucket ? Where will you put the bowl while kiddies are soaping and spitting ? Sounds kind of messy and maybe even unsanitary to me.:confused: I'd go with the lightweight, fold-up stool. :)

If they can't reach the sink, how are they going to reach the bowl or bucket ? Where will you put the bowl while kiddies are soaping and spitting ? Sounds kind of messy and maybe even unsanitary to me.:confused: I'd go with the lightweight, fold-up stool. :)

And washing hands really well is particularly important on a cruise to avoid norovirus - don't want to cut corners on that.

What do you do in public bathrooms? I used to either go the hand sanitzer route, or prop them on my knee while they washed. No reason you can't do the same on the ship. For teeth brushing or washing in our room, it just plopped them on the counter next to the sink. No big deal.:D

What do you do in public bathrooms? I used to either go the hand sanitzer route, or prop them on my knee while they washed. No reason you can't do the same on the ship. For teeth brushing or washing in our room, it just plopped them on the counter next to the sink. No big deal.:D

In public bathrooms, I hold them up and they are getting heavier and heavier. If there is enough counter space then yes, them sitting on the counter would work. Hand sanitizer is not ideal for my daughter as it dries her skin out and makes her eczema worst.

In public bathrooms, I hold them up and they are getting heavier and heavier. If there is enough counter space then yes, them sitting on the counter would work. Hand sanitizer is not ideal for my daughter as it dries her skin out and makes her eczema worst.

There is definitely enough counter space to plop them up there. And they may be able to use the toilet itself as a stool or at least to climb up - those bathrooms are tiny!

We usually hand sanitize just before eating and so far, have never gotten the crud while on a ship. Then again, we are drinking enough OJ and fruit juice to drown a Florida citrus rat! But, you may want to make sure she washes up just before dinner; there are bathrooms usually right outside the MDR.

My kids are older, but I'd just grab them under their arms with my right arm, and have them perch on my knee. At that age, I was always with them anyway. Please don't have them spit into the ice bucket, I doubt it's sanitized between sailings. We traveled a good amount with our five when they were little (and used tons of public bathrooms). Never an issue.

• 2 weeks later...