Our voices have been heard

Cruise Raider

I commend Celebrity for actually listening to and acting on the complaints lodged by some of their customers, both on this board and through letters sent.

Also, there have been some recent complaints about the timing of which pax had to vacate their cabins in the morning on disembarkation day. It was recently changed from 8 AM to 7 AM causing quite the stir on other threads. Celebrity has now chimed in setting back to 8 AM.

Some are mad that both these changes were made in the first place. But, I choose to be happy the past way of doing business is back. Thanks for listening to your passenger's concerns, Celebrity!! It is most appreciated!!

Wonderful - so glad about this. Thank you for posting!

While I'm really grateful that these two (poor) decisions have been re-thought and cancelled , I'm afraid I have to agree about the lack of forethought when the decisions were originally made.

The 7am out of cabin time was destined for disaster not only because we complained but because, since people couldn't get off the ship any earlier than before, it would only lead to unsafe crowds of people milling about with their luggage. I figured that out right away - why couldn't the person who made that decision?

:confused: *** :( *** :confused:

I wonder how many of Celebrity's land based employees have ever cruised at their 0wn expense. Do they have any idea of what it is like on a ship, especially at disembarkation?

I wonder how many of Celebrity's land based employees have ever cruised at their 0wn expense. Do they have any idea of what it is like on a ship, especially at disembarkation?

We know their President goes on at least one cruise a year. An engaged executive would know what changes in policy her staff were implementing.

I didn't see Summit listed, is it included in the luggage valet?

Luggage Valet is only available in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Seattle. I don't think Summit ever sails from any of those.

Edit: I just read a review of a short cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. I guess Summit does sail from Ft. Lauderdale occasionally.

Edited by 2theship

Luggage Valet is only available in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Seattle. I don't think Summit ever sails from any of those.

Edit: I just read a review of a short cruise from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. I guess Summit does sail from Ft. Lauderdale occasionally.

Thanks! We are booked on the Summit out of Fort Lauderdale in March, hopefully luggage valet will be available, it is so helpful.

Nope

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Are all airlines participating meaning Canadian Airlines as well?

Sorry to have been so abrupt...the airlines that participate are: Alaska, American, Delta, Jet Blue, United, and Southwest. The former Luggage Valet offering only had US airlines, too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Now how about the food?

An elite member, elite + on our next cruise next month on Equinox. So I might have the experience to see the decline in food preparation, service and quality. We usually cruise 3 - 5 Cruises a year in Aqua, but - after next months b2b no more. Aqua used to mean water, towels were better, menu is stale and cabins are not in the best areas.

Hal

No daily water???? oh no Mr Bill...

There's plenty of water coming out of the faucet. Put it in a water bottle and chill it.

Enjoy your next Princess Cruise, I will wave from my lounger in the Solarium as you pass by.

We know their President goes on at least one cruise a year. An engaged executive would know what changes in policy her staff were implementing.

But when she is on the cruise she does not experience the life of the ordinary passenger. But I agree someone needs to stop and think - Is this a really good idea? And how does it look to the customer????

No daily water???? oh no Mr Bill...

There's plenty of water coming out of the faucet. Put it in a water bottle and chill it.

Enjoy your next Princess Cruise, I will wave from my lounger in the Solarium as you pass by.

This is an unfair statement. Many people used the free water benefit in their calculation of cost-to-value for the fare they were willing to pay. Having that perk removed is a serious downgrade from what they bought.

All cruise problems are first-world problems. I wish people would stop trying to denigrate others' opinions by saying a concern is invalid as long as other people in the world have it worse.

She needs to stay in an inside cabin to get a better perspective, not one of the suites.

Celebrity responded to two threads yesterday with additional Luggage Valet information and departure time (which IMO was completely overblown. It was 1 hour. 60 minutes. Not a big deal!)

Celebrity was already at worst practice by being at 8 a.m. when other lines are at 9 a.m. Hence, the above is incorrect. It was an additional hour, making 2 hours. 120 minutes. Which is also way behind other forms of hotels. So bad form however you try to spin it.

This is an unfair statement. Many people used the free water benefit in their calculation of cost-to-value for the fare they were willing to pay. Having that perk removed is a serious downgrade from what they bought.

All cruise problems are first-world problems. I wish people would stop trying to denigrate others' opinions by saying a concern is invalid as long as other people in the world have it worse.

Like button.

Celebrity was already at worst practice by being at 8 a.m. when other lines are at 9 a.m. Hence, the above is incorrect. It was an additional hour, making 2 hours. 120 minutes. Which is also way behind other forms of hotels. So bad form however you try to spin it.

Uh, no, Princess has been at 8:00 AM for years. No problem.

By the way, help out an ignorant old man. As you can see below, we are primarily Princess, but with one (wonderful) cruise on Celebrity Reflection. Now we are going on Celebrity again next month. Looking at more in the future. BUT! What the heck is "luggage valet"?? We are used to our luggage going from shuttle dropoff directly to our stateroom. Is that not the standard anymore?? I can't imagine having to schlepp our luggage through all the checkin process! Have they eliminated that? I will be very reluctant to book Celebrity in the future if our luggage isn't valet-ed straight to our stateroom!

As per celebrity Cruises

Luggage Valet is a departure service option that streamlines the seaport-to-airport process. Luggage Valet is ideal for guests who wish to simplify their transition from one of our ships to the airport. It’s also an easy way for guests who have a late flight to spend the day enjoying a land-based tour or shopping, with only the luggage they plan to carry onto the plane later.

There is a fee for this but I believe it is waived for Zenith tier and maybe suites, not sure about the latter.

By the way, help out an ignorant old man. As you can see below, we are primarily Princess, but with one (wonderful) cruise on Celebrity Reflection. Now we are going on Celebrity again next month. Looking at more in the future. BUT! What the heck is "luggage valet"?? We are used to our luggage going from shuttle dropoff directly to our stateroom. Is that not the standard anymore?? I can't imagine having to schlepp our luggage through all the checkin process! Have they eliminated that? I will be very reluctant to book Celebrity in the future if our luggage isn't valet-ed straight to our stateroom!

Nothing to worry about. You still drop off your luggage with the porters at the pier for embarkation, and your luggage is delivered to your stateroom as usual.

Luggage valet is an optional service for disembarkation.

You can pay an extra fee to have your checked luggage checked all the way through from the ship to your final destination airport.

The way it works is that you receive special tags to put on your checked bags before you put them out in the hallway on the final night of the cruise.

Then, when you are lucky, the next time you see them is when you arrive at baggage claim at your final destination airport.

It can be a great convenience when it works correctly.

But it can be a real pain when your bags don't show up as expected, and you end up in frustration at your final destination, standing in line to file a missing baggage report, keeping your fingers crossed in hopes that your luggage will show up eventually.

If it doesn't turn up at all after the designated period of time has passed, then it is even a greater hassle having to fill out the claim forms for the missing bags and all their contents, and needing to go shopping to replace all the items that were lost.

To paraphrase an old nursery rhyme:

When it is good, it is very, very good.

But when it is bad, it is horrid.

Edited by varoo

Uh, no, Princess has been at 8:00 AM for years. No problem.

Embarkation is the same as it always has been.

Luggage Valet (as others have said) is for DISembarkation.

You sign up in the middle of the cruise (if a form doesn't come to your cabin go to desk services and ask for it).

Then the last night you get your boarding passes and luggage tags delivered to your cabin.

You put your luggage in front of your cabin as usual and the next time you see it will be at your home airport.

You have no more chance of losing your luggage than you do when you check it in at the airport.

And by using it you avoid that mad mess of trying to find it before going through customs and you also avoid that long line for luggage check-in at the airport.

It's $25 per person plus whatever luggage fees your airline charges.

Princess also has it (I forgot the name).

At first we thought it was a waste of money but after having used it I can tell you it's ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Official Celebrity Cruises answer on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2443196&page=3

Post #57

The Summit isn't mentioned .

Sorry

Luggage Valet is a departure service option that streamlines the seaport-to-airport process. Luggage Valet is offered at a minimal fee, plus the airline luggage fees.

In 2016, due to the Living Wage Ordinance in Ft. Lauderdale and Seattle, we were forced to discontinue Luggage Valet onboard Celebrity Cruises. However, we are happy to announce that an agreement has been reached with the vendor which will allow us to re-launch the program across all vessels debarking in FLL, MIA and SEA.

Other criteria for eligibility:

• You must be flying on the entirety of the journey with the same air carrier.
  • Your flight needs to be the same day of ship’s arrival.

The per person fee is waived for guests staying in Celebrity Suites and above (Sky Suites NOT included). Any applicable airline baggage fees will still be collected.

This service can only be purchased onboard the ship.

Guests who participate can check their luggage and receive their airline boarding passes and baggage claim checks before leaving the ship. When they arrive at the airport, they can avoid check-in lines at the airport and proceed directly to the security checkpoint. Luggage Valet is ideal for guests who wish to simplify their transition from one of our ships to the airport. It’s also an easy way for guests who have a late flight to spend the day enjoying a land-based tour or shopping, with only the luggage they plan to carry onto the plane later.

Note: Guests do not have to use our transfers in order to participate in the program, however, their flight must NOT be earlier than the earliest flight time listed for our transfers. For example, if our transfer specifies that the earliest flight time is 11:30 AM, then the guest's flight must be at 11:30 AM or later. It cannot be earlier due to the time needed for the luggage to be inspected by Customs and Border Protection, tagged and transported to the airport for check-in.

Cost: Luggage Valet fee is $25 per person.

Celebrity Cruises will re-launch the Luggage Valet program in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale on the following ships/saildates:

• Celebrity Eclipse 1/8/17
  • Celebrity Equinox 1/20/17
  • Celebrity Reflection 1/21/17 - soft launch, pending delivery of additional valet tag inventory
  • Celebrity Silhouette 1/22/17

Airline baggage fees are applicable and will be collected onboard. These fees will be added on to the guests' SeaPass accounts.

The airlines have exemption rules for certain guests. This is different for each airline, and those guests that qualify will be exempt from the baggage fees. They will only pay the $25 p/p service fee for using the Luggage Valet program.

You have no more chance of losing your luggage than you do when you check it in at the airport.

:confused: Surprised to see such a statement.

Have you ever worked for an airline?

Anyone who has would know that the chance of a bag being lost or mis-routed keeps increasing the more times it gets transferred when it out of your sight and the more different people that are involved in handling it.

Even when you check a bag in at the airport yourself, there is always a chance that it may not show up at your final destination, something that frequent fliers know all too well.

With Luggage Valet however, the chances that something may go wrong are compounded because there are too many additional transfer points where a problem may occur, without your knowledge.

- Was the bag even unloaded off the ship in the first place?

- Then did the baggage handlers at the pier receive the bag?

- If so, was it loaded on the correct vehicle for transfer to the airport?

- Did the vehicle arrive at the airport safely and on time?

- Was the bag removed from the vehicle at the airport?

- Was it checked in for the correct airline and correct flight(s)?

These are on top of all the regular reasons why bags may go missing, even when we check them in ourselves.

But granted, Luggage Valet is very convenient, so there are times when we are willing to take the additional risk of using it, depending on the circumstances.

Most passengers who use it rave about it,

until the first time their bags don't show up. :eek:

Edited by varoo

:confused: Surprised to see such a statement.

Have you ever worked for an airline?

Anyone who has would know that the chance of a bag being lost or mis-routed keeps increasing the more times it gets transferred when it out of your sight and the more different people that are involved in handling

Many years ago when the last great American airline Pan Am was still in business, I had the opportunity to walk through their baggage area at JFK. In the ceiling were any number of conveyor belts shuttling luggage from one point to another. I was astounded. I had no idea of the intricacies of baggage handling which at that point was limited to seeing porters pushing carts. That was probably in 1989; I can only imagine what the situation is today.

Be thankful every time your luggage appears where and when you expected it. It's a minor miracle.