Bit of a Blog : Crown Princess : Buenos Aires - Valparaiso : February 1st 2017

NorbertsNiece

The most shambolic of days.

I tend to believe a good cruise line will apologise when things go wrong. A great cruise line will step up when things go wrong and do their best to make it easier at the time when the @@@@ hits the fan. Princess is the former.

We were told that the reason we couldn’t berth at the pier was that they didn’t have the water depth necessary for us…… Celebrity Infinity managed to berth as did the smaller Seabourn Quest. My meeting time for the excursion had been brought forward by half an hour to 0700. This was not conveyed to me until I left my room in the morning to go to breakfast by a letter in the box outside…… can they not push things under the door? Would have seen it before then. Missed breakfast. Actually spent the few spare minutes I had getting pics. Go to Wheelhouse Bar. The 0630 starters are already in the theatre. My tour is called and we too go to the theatre. And we wait. And wait some more. Slow hand clapping ensues (not from me you understand); someone whistles very loudly. By 0900 we have been appraised of the fact that there is a problem with tendering; we can’t share the Celebrity pier (well d’uh of course we can’t share it…… Seabourn have it.) We’re offered a place to tender to which would mean climbing a ladder to reach the pier. Like that’s ever going to happen right?

Oh. Those people who had been waiting for their tour before mine….. remember the 0630 people? They’re told their tours are cancelled and they will be fully reimbursed; they can have priority tender when the tenders start. They were driving to the end of the world. Or had intended to.

Eventually we’re given the green light to tender…… but we’re not actually tendering to the pier….. the catamaran is going to pick us up at the ship….. so we walk below stairs along Deck 4 and we’re away. Around 0930. I have pics…… of course I do.

Super little excursion. Sun is out. It’s warm bordering hot. We’re all over dressed for the end of the world. Lots of birds, seals (or are they sea lions?) scenery…… 2 hours later we’re back at the pier….. that’s not a half day excursion in my book. BUT we can make the train excursion buses if we leg it….. so we do…. And we’re off….. there was no Princess rep there to assist that I could see. No offer of refreshment. Fortunately there had been a bar on the catamaran (of course there was) and I bought some GF snacks and a small tube of Pringles.

No a/c in the coach. Short drive to the train station. Snacks available for purchase there. Nothing is GF. I risk it. I was hungry ok? May have to pay the price….. will see…..

Train ride is pleasant enough with good commentary about the penal settlement and the still evident devastation of the trees. Back on the bus (with no a/c) and we head for Ensenada Bay for a stop. We’re back at the pier by 1430. Last tender is 1500. Currently 1705 and they’re still running. I’m in line for over an hour in the sun…… those who remember last year with me in Kuranda will recall I don’t do well standing for an hour in line in sun. I have my Tilley. There’s no water at the pier when I eventually get there and I’ve already finished the bottle I’d brought with. There’s no-one dishing it out to the line (as Celebrity had last year in Yorkey’s Knob) or coming round with damp towels. There’s no shade. And no-one from the ship other than a lady who appears shouting ‘Crown Princess!’ to the line.

I eventually get on board just before 1600 and head to the Excursion Desk. They are closed. I remove my boots. I wait in my socks. Someone else joins me to add fuel to the fire. While I am waiting I write a short note with my name and room number at the top. The Shorex chap was pleasant and conciliatory. ‘You do know why we were late this morning madam?’.

Where is guest care in all of this eh?

Just saying.

First C&P I’ve done the whole blog. Thanks for letting me vent. Have a cappuccino and a plate of watermelon cubes beside me. Meeting friends for dinner. Lamb chops. Mnomnmomnmomn.

Not about to waste internet time checking the itineraries of Seabourn / Celebrity....... maybe someone else could :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of Patters and my itinerary for tomorrow.

Be nice. x

Magdalena Marta Ingle 2016 - 2017.pdf

February 10%2c 2017 Punta Arenas Patter .pdf

February 9%2c 2017 Ushuaia Patter.pdf

Good morning all. Apologies for going ‘silent’ yesterday but until I’d had a word with the IT guy regarding the failure of my laptop to actually logout I wasn’t prepared to risk the last minutes I have on trying.

I have sushi for breakfast in my room today. There’s a reason for that which will become clear when I get to sharing pics of today. Trust me the sharing of pics will continue in due course!

There’s a Force 9 Beaufort blowing outside today for Amalia Glacier and all the outer decks are closed. I’ve not actually ventured out of my room yet…… I keep hearing people fall over out there!!

I’ve arranged a CC Behind the Scenes Tour this afternoon which should be fun in these conditions. Tomorrow we’ve a Galley Tour.

I’ve C&P this again to save time online…… can one of my FB friends share the couple of pics I threw there yesterday please xxx

Here's today's Patter

February 11%2c 2017 Amalia Glacier Patter.pdf

Good morning all. Apologies for going ‘silent’ yesterday but until I’d had a word with the IT guy regarding the failure of my laptop to actually logout I wasn’t prepared to risk the last minutes I have on trying.

I have sushi for breakfast in my room today. There’s a reason for that which will become clear when I get to sharing pics of today. Trust me the sharing of pics will continue in due course!

There’s a Force 9 Beaufort blowing outside today for Amalia Glacier and all the outer decks are closed. I’ve not actually ventured out of my room yet…… I keep hearing people fall over out there!!

I’ve arranged a CC Behind the Scenes Tour this afternoon which should be fun in these conditions. Tomorrow we’ve a Galley Tour.

I’ve C&P this again to save time online…… can one of my FB friends share the couple of pics I threw there yesterday please xxx

Here's today's Patter

I'll give it a try!

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16684100_10158340556565352_3377073028158485972_n.jpg?oh=7b86c2240743ee1b007431fb2a3a8d2b&oe=590091AC

https://scontent.ford1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/16508940_10158340558530352_966579990625097414_n.jpg?oh=8f6e1069aee365d37f48eac305697c1a&oe=5937FEA0

Just read your great blog and it brought back lots of memories of our cruises in this area. The first time we visited the Falklands before Ushuaia, the port Authorities there would not let us dock at all, so we ended up with longer day light time cruising through the Fjords Since then we've cruised west to east so visiting Argentina before the Falklands.

Just read your great blog and it brought back lots of memories of our cruises in this area. The first time we visited the Falklands before Ushuaia, the port Authorities there would not let us dock at all, so we ended up with longer day light time cruising through the Fjords Since then we've cruised west to east so visiting Argentina before the Falklands.

We had no trouble docking in Ushuaia last March after first visiting the Falklands. Our problem was leaving Ushuaia, because the strong winds kept us pinned to the dock for several hours beyond our scheduled departure.

Day 10 Punta del Este contd

It's been a long while..... last pic I posted was this one I believe.....

DSCN2079.jpg

Details about the museum here.

Many contemporary works of art

DSCN2080.jpg

And a delightful statues garden

DSCN2081.jpg

DSCN2083.jpg

But, for me, the absolute delight is the plethora of Dali works in an exhibit. Had not expected this.....really should read the material provided by the tour company!!

Space Elephant

DSCN2085.jpg

Homenage to Terpsichore

DSCN2088.jpg

We had no trouble docking in Ushuaia last March after first visiting the Falklands. Our problem was leaving Ushuaia, because the strong winds kept us pinned to the dock for several hours beyond our scheduled departure.

The same thing happened to us this past December. We were many hours late (at least 6, maybe more) departing which pushed back our scheduled time for rounding Cape Horn. As we approached Cape Horn it was still very windy and the seas were rolling (my husband noticed that the tub wouldn't drain during his shower because all the water was gathering at the back of the tub!) so we never made it but instead headed to the Falklands.