Hotel at Miami port or Miami Int.

Aria924

Hey Everyone [emoji112]

I was wondering where is the best place to stay when I fly in the day before? Near Miami Port or at Miami Airport??

I'm trying to make the most economic decision based off of shuttle cost, cost of hotel and also activities near by. Any suggestions and or tips?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey Everyone [emoji112]

I was wondering where is the best place to stay when I fly in the day before? Near Miami Port or at Miami Airport??

I'm trying to make the most economic decision based off of shuttle cost, cost of hotel and also activities near by. Any suggestions and or tips?

Thanks in advance!!!

In our case, we are flying into Ft Lauderdale the day before. We rented a car from Alamo. We are then driving to Miami. We got a hotel room through Hotwire for the overnight near the Miami airport. We are dropping the car at the Miami airport car rental return center and taking the free shuttle from the Miami airport to the Port of Miami the next day. So you can see how this works for us. If you fly into Miami, your choices may be different.

There is a free shuttle??

There is a free shuttle from the Miami Airport car rental center to the Port for patrons of certain companies; Alamo, National, Enterprise and Thrifty currently I believe. But I have no clue why the above poster responded with his story of flying into FLL when you are flying into MIA--plus then touted you on a rental car. :confused:

There are hotels near MIA with free shuttles from airport to hotel and low cost ones from hotel to Port (either a small fee or a bump in room rate to use them). But precious few near the airport have any decent restaurants or shopping within walking distance. My advice is to check out Downtown Miami hotels to see if they are in your budget for your dates. But remember you have to then add the cost of two taxi rides (likely somewhere between $40-45 total for both).

If you can give us a budget and a date (because hotel rates vary wildly in Miami between peak and off season) we can give you specific suggestions.

The poster never said he was flying into Miami. He wanted some ideas about staying in Miami. I am staying in Miami pre cruise. But I am flying into FLL. I just wanted to poster to know this in the event he was not flying into Miami.

Not only that. But I have flown into Miami, rented a car at the airport, went to a hotel in the area, went out to dinner, then the grocery store and the returned the car to the rental return the next day and taken that same free shuttle. Just wanted to make the poster aware of their options. Nothing more, nothing less.

I am flying to Miami the morning of May 17th. I thought of renting a car but I was concerned about 1. The extra cost. 2. I am under 25. 3. I think the return time is nothing earlier than 12 pm the day os sail (I wanna get on the ship early and didn't want any possible mishaps before that). With all that being said I gravitated away from rentals. Unless you guys can re assure, I am looking at transportation via Uber.

For hotel I wanna keep it ABSOLUTE max $150. Ideal would be like $110 or around that range but that might be impossible for Miami with reasonable distance to Port.

With your budget, unless you get lucky on one of the bidding sites, you are likely to wind up out near MIA. Budget options often suggested that include a shuttle to POM include La Quinta East and Springhill Suites Medical Center. Not many activities, restaurants or nightlife opportunities near any of these hotels. :( You could take the hotel shuttle back to MIA and for about $3 catch the Airport Flyer bus to South Beach - lots of activities, restaurants & nightlife opportunities there! :D

For your max budget of $150.00 the airport area is where I would look. Check the hotel sights, you might find a good deal there. Maybe if you are super lucky you might find a great deal closer to the port in the downtown area. Uber from the airport area will be around $25.00 Est.and up, depending where you stay.From the downtown area Uber is around $8.00 Est. and up, again depending where you stay. If you choose the airport area be careful, especially at night, its not the safest area. Suggestion, since you were budgeting a rental in to your plans, why not use that money to book a hotel close to the port. Foe example, we found a hotel, the YVE downtown, 10 minutes from the port for $185.00 tax included, on one of the hotel sites.

The downtown areas mentioned above all have shopping, restaurants, and nightlife.

Edited by skrufy

If you like adventure, you could stay at the Runway Inn. It has a shuttle from the airport and to the port of Miami.

It is a tad dicey. It looks like the kind of place a drug courier might hole up for a couple of days waiting for a man with a suitcase full of money. It's dank, dark, but the price was right and it did the trick. Okay breakfast, no bedbugs. What's not to love?

Yve Hotel and Doubletree Biscayne Bay both have rates (not totals) under $150.00 for May 17th on Hotels.com

Both are very close to Port of Miami and have lots of options for dinner/things to do right near by in the neighborhood. I always suggest staying in the downtown Miami area the day before. If your goal is to get to the port right away, its a great location for that too. An uber from either hotel to the port will be $5-$7. An Uber from the airport to one of those two hotels should be about $15-$18.00

Much cheaper than parking a car and renting, and much better location than the airport hotels that have free shuttles.

• 2 weeks later...

The Homewood suites Miami blue Lagoon has a complementary shuttle that will pick you up at the airport and take you to the hotel, complementary breakfast, and also the shuttle will take you within 2 miles of the hotel if you want to go somewhere for dinner. I'm pretty sure they must have a shuttle to take you to the ship but there would be a charge or just take a taxi.

The poster never said he was flying into Miami. He wanted some ideas about staying in Miami. I am staying in Miami pre cruise. But I am flying into FLL. I just wanted to poster to know this in the event he was not flying into Miami.

Not only that. But I have flown into Miami, rented a car at the airport, went to a hotel in the area, went out to dinner, then the grocery store and the returned the car to the rental return the next day and taken that same free shuttle. Just wanted to make the poster aware of their options. Nothing more, nothing less.

I appreciate your information, because I'll be flying into FLL but want to stay in Miami pre-cruise also. I won't be renting a car, but will probably utilize Uber to get around where walking ain't an option. I'm usually a La Quinta kinda gal, but I'm just looking into different economical options, also.

Thanks.

I appreciate your information, because I'll be flying into FLL but want to stay in Miami pre-cruise also. I won't be renting a car, but will probably utilize Uber to get around where walking ain't an option. I'm usually a La Quinta kinda gal, but I'm just looking into different economical options, also.

Thanks.

There's a couple of LQs out near the airport, but then you either will not see much of Miami, or you will spend a fortune on Ubers. IMHO you're better off trying to find a downtown hotel that works for your budget and dates.