Am I going to be out of place on Celebrity?

bradleyk

That is not what I wrote. I do care if I will fit in with the clientele.

What I wrote was that I do not care what other do. Nor am I ill mannered or unkempt. But you definitely seem to be.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Forums mobile app

I didn't intend to be rude...sarcastic maybe, because you seemed to be sending mixed messages.

There are plenty of people on board who will be in your age group. If you dress as you would at a resort during the day, or in the dining room as you would at a restaurant with tablecloths at home, then you will fit right in. No one will much care about your table manners, unless you eat with your hands (asparagus, rib lamb chops, hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches excepted).I confess, I never did get why it is okay to eat asparagus with your fingers.

Have a great time. We love Celebrity and are far from being hoity-toity.

I'm in my mid-30's and DH is 40 and we loved our Celebrity Equinox cruise so much last March that we booked another one for next March! We did a different itinerary that you will have (actually, your cruise is closer to what we'll do next year with the ABC islands!), but I wrote a very detailed review of our Equinox cruise which may help give you an idea of what to expect. The link is in my signature below if you want to take a look :) Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!!

Thank you so much for posting! I actually read your review last year when you posted it and then again after we booked our cruise. I also remember your post about asking which flats would be acceptable for dinner before you sailed., lol. Honestly did you find that you had any issue?

I didn't intend to be rude...sarcastic maybe, because you seemed to be sending mixed messages.

There are plenty of people on board who will be in your age group. If you dress as you would at a resort during the day, or in the dining room as you would at a restaurant with tablecloths at home, then you will fit right in. No one will much care about your table manners, unless you eat with your hands (asparagus, rib lamb chops, hot dogs, hamburgers, and sandwiches excepted).I confess, I never did get why it is okay to eat asparagus with your fingers.

Have a great time. We love Celebrity and are far from being hoity-toity.

Thank you, though sarcasm does not translate well by text alone. Inflection is generally necessary

I'm in my mid-30's and DH is 40 and we loved our Celebrity Equinox cruise so much last March that we booked another one for next March! We did a different itinerary that you will have (actually, your cruise is closer to what we'll do next year with the ABC islands!), but I wrote a very detailed review of our Equinox cruise which may help give you an idea of what to expect. The link is in my signature below if you want to take a look :) Have a wonderful cruise and I hope you enjoy every minute of it!!

Really enjoyed your review, I read it a few months ago. I too had concerns about cruising on Celebrity Equinox, our first on X, this March 24th. Dana, you & several others convinced me all would be ok.

The fork thing is a European joke; most Europeans keep their fork in the non-dominant (usually left) hand and don't do the quaint American thing of switching hands. If you live in Europe for awhile, you'll adopt their method for the rest of your life.

Too funny: I've always eaten this way and I'm American. (but my parents were from Europe.) I never paid attention - I thought mostly everyone dined with their fork in left hand and knife in right. I've been at some pretty formal hoity toity dinners and no one ever looked at me strangely. Seems like too much work the other way around :D

You will be fine [emoji3]. We are in our mid thirties..my husband and I were worried about the same things before we went on our first cruise with Celebrity this past December. We had only cruised Carnival prior and my in laws had warned that the CC they had been on a few years ago was 'too fancy' for them....so we bought sport coats and new ties and nice dresses and I brought an unreasonable amount of shoes....lol... and people went to dinner in shorts....so...no need to worry... we have never had so much fun on a cruise. We were so impressed that we booked another for later this year right while on the ship...we had such a blast and found the people to be way friendlier than other cruises we have been on. It was so relaxing. We can't wait to go back.. have fun!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once onboard, you're not even going to think about 90% of the stuff you read on these boards. You can't even make up some of these stories and complaints!

There will be a few on the cruise that will look you up and down and roll an eye or two, but only because they are the ones who probably don't feel they fit in. If you're worried about the age thing, I was 35 and my wife was 27 when we took our first Celebrity cruise (20 years ago), and still enjoy them today.

And as someone mentioned, the Sunset Bar is a great place to get some "therapy".

Thx.

like all cruise lines, there are some upper class or those who think they are, on Celebrity. Most cruisers however are just regular people out to have an enjoyable trip.

take your cruise and have a great time, we sure did. Met lots of people from all parts of the globe and had many a lovely chat.

cheers

Belinda

My wife and I are in our early forties and will be going on our sixth Celebrity cruise next month...this will be our fourth time on Equinox alone. We are already booked for next year and will be booking for 2019 while on this next cruise. The reason I tell you this is we are big fans of Celebrity. We both enjoy the finer things but are from the Midwest and laid back. You will meet plenty of nice people and can have as much fun as you want as late as you want etc. Dress in what you're comfortable in as you would when dining in a decent restaurant at home or on vacation and you'll be fine. The <5% of the population that is always short changed, angry, disappointed, etc. is no different on a Celebrity ship than anywhere else you will be so ignore them and enjoy the other 95% who are there to enjoy time away from the day to day grind and have a good time.

My wife and I are booked for the May 5th Equinox sailing and I still find myself concerned for a few reasons listed below.

1. We are both 40

2. I could care less what others wear to dinner

3. I could care less with which hands you use for your knife and fork, or which way the tines of your fork are pointing.

Reading these things, along with others comments, here on CC scare the crap out of me and make me wonder if we made the right choice in Celebrity.

We were in the same boat after we booked our first cruise on Celebrity. I found CC and started to read the postings here at the Celebrity board. My first reaction was; "WOW! What a bunch of Bleeping Bleep Bleeps! I don't want to cruise with most of those posters. "

As has been said, the reality is much different than what is posted here on CC. All the people we met on board were great, from the man who found my cell phone after it fell out of my carry-on bag, to the table of older chaps from Pittsburgh who couldn’t understand why I was still a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. They tried (very nicely) to recruit me to the dark side!

Sometimes I'm even a Bleeping Bleep Bleep online and I'm a great guy on real life. ;)

P.S. The above statement is the opinion of the writer and have not been approved by management (Mrs. Dawg):D

Edited by DirtyDawg

My wife and I are booked for the May 5th Equinox sailing and I still find myself concerned for a few reasons listed below.

1. We are both 40

3. I could care less with which hands you use for your knife and fork, or which way the tines of your fork are pointing.

Reading these things, along with others comments, here on CC scare the crap out of me and make me wonder if we made the right choice in Celebrity.

My late MIL is at rest in TN and Davie Crockett in San Antonio, both just rolled over cause a Volunteer scares so easily. :D Time to step up and quit with the whinnies :D

Like others said, you definitely won't be the youngest on the ship. We're in our early/mid 30's and on Refection in a few weeks. I know where you're coming from. The impression you may get on these boards isn't true to life. There's a small group out there that likes to display their cruise prowess online or for some reason want everyone to think cruising is a first class Titanic-like experience - which it definitely is not. No need to pack your white gloves. You will have a good time and there will be plenty of perfectly pleasant people having a good time with you.

If the population on board in any way reflected the number of snobby/snide/judgemental posters on this forum, there is no way we would be in our 21st year of cruising exclusively on Celebrity ships. The posters who advised you that there is nothing to be concerned about when it comes to fitting in , and that you'll have a great time, represent the real onboard demographic. I hope that when you return from your cruise you'll let us know we told you so!! [emoji3]

Don't be scared. Celebrity is not snooty at all. Yes the majority of the passengers are older but not necessarily old. And there are younger people too. As with any situation, similar people tend to gravitate towards each other so you will have people your age to hang with. The martini bar seemed to be the younger hipper crowd where as ensemble was more traditional cruisers. You will find your place and fit in fine. As far as clothes, also not a worry. While I didn't see anyone in shorts at dinner it certainly isn't dressy. My husband wears dark wash jeans and a cabana shirt or long sleeve button down most nights. Even chic nights had plenty of people dressed casually. You will definitely enjoy the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having sailed numerous times on Royal, we booked our next cruise with Celebrity and after reading the "bad manners" thread, I was feeling the same as you. This thread has made me feel much better. We will have 2 23-year olds (Grandson and his friend) and I'm 65, so we're covering all the generations. We're very laid back, and after many years with hauling a suit, shirts, ties, dress shoes, my Grandson is very excited about a more relaxed dress code. The girl with him has said she's carrying a little black dress for "Chic" night and he's just wearing a dress shirt and slacks. I'm hopeful we won't be ruining anyones' dinner, but we've decided we are there to enjoy ourselves not to impress. I eat with the tines up and I switch the fork back and it works pretty well for me. I don't watch how others manage their food, nor do I care as long as it doesn't involve any of it being thrown in my direction and they don't handle the food I'm about to eat with their bare hands,so you can add one more family cruising on Celebrity that has some habits that seem to bother others for no particular reason other than cultural differences that don't give a fig. :D

1. We are both 40

We are 41 and 42. We do feel young as 97% + appear to be older than us. But it's not an issue at all.

Completely understand here. Pack a suit, shirt and ties and wear these on chic nights. You won't feel out of place then.

Haha! This is where we need a tongue in cheek smiley because the majority of Celebrity cruisers are American, and from what I often see a lot of Americans don't know how to use a knife and fork properly anyway! :D

Relax, you have made a good choice, you'll enjoy yourself when on board. What is written here on CC doesn't always reflect the realities of being on board. :)

Completely understand here. Pack a suit, shirt and ties and wear these on chic nights. You won't feel out of place

He won't feel out of place if he does not pack a suit or tie. I have not packed a suit, jacket or tie my last three Celebrity cruises and have not felt out of place. About half were dressed like me, a dress shirt.

Those who do pack a suit and tie won't feel out of place either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The fork thing is a European joke; most Europeans keep their fork in the non-dominant (usually left) hand and don't do the quaint American thing of switching hands. If you live in Europe for awhile, you'll adopt their method for the rest of your life.

Too funny: I've always eaten this way and I'm American. (but my parents were from Europe.) I never paid attention - I thought mostly everyone dined with their fork in left hand and knife in right. I've been at some pretty formal hoity toity dinners and no one ever looked at me strangely. Seems like too much work the other way around :D

Ha, ha! Always enjoy this debate on manners. It amazes me that folks would observe and judge these differences! For edification of those observers, left handlers ( like me) also eat the European way with the fork in the left hand. And not only is it easier, it also gets the food into your mouth quicker. So I guess that is a double negative of bad manners![emoji6]

He won't feel out of place if he does not pack a suit or tie. I have not packed a suit, jacket or tie my last three Celebrity cruises and have not felt out of place. About half were dressed like me, a dress shirt.

Actually most cruise lines have a dress code- it isn't carved in stone- but recommended- people eat at the buffet in shorts nightly- so do what you want to do. One exception I recall was on the Quantum, they had one restaurant that men MUST wear a sports jacket (at least) to get in. They did provide a loaner sports jacket, but typically the men looked silly as the jacket didn't necessarily fit properly, didn't match- but worst of all a person who previously wore it- perhaps wasn't clean or wore strong smelling men's cologne- I do not get what the big deal is to just bring one sports jacket if you own one- but to each his own. Always a bone of contention.

What you've failed to understand is that my post was aimed squarely at the op who has stated his own concerns. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

1. We are both 40

Sounds like you are like the majority of folks we have met in our 17+ years with Celebrity. Great mix of ages and some fashion police or (new to me) fork police, but have never been bothered by any of them.

That being said we do NOT wear shorts in the MDR at dinner time, and now enjoy the new but vague CHIC dress rules.. (can of worms discussion..LOL)

You will have a great time.

bosco

Actually most cruise lines have a dress code- it isn't carved in stone- but recommended- people eat at the buffet in shorts nightly- so do what you want to do. One exception I recall was on the Quantum, they had one restaurant that men MUST wear a sports jacket (at least) to get in. They did provide a loaner sports jacket, but typically the men looked silly as the jacket didn't necessarily fit properly, didn't match- but worst of all a person who previously wore it- perhaps wasn't clean or wore strong smelling men's cologne- I do not get what the big deal is to just bring one sports jacket if you own one- but to each his own. Always a bone of contention.

Actually Celebrity's dress code on Evening Chic evening in the MDR is a long sleeved dress shirt. Don't you know that any kind of jacket is listed as optional on Celebrity? So no need to bring a sports jacket. I own 16 sports jackets, 6 suits and 2 tuxedos. I have chosen not to wear them lately. That does not mean I won't ever bring a sports jacket or more some future cruise if I feel like it.