Dawn vs. Pearl...Opinions please

CJDepew

A friend and I are looking at both ships for Feb of 2018. Itineraries are very similar, from NOLA and Tampa. Both ships appear similar in size, and dry dock happened last year or is scheduled in the very near future. After looking at reviews here I see that the Pearl's dining is rated lower than the Dawn, but can't see any other significant differences.

We're looking for a ship with friendly staff, service with a smile, good food (specialty dining isn't high on our list), plenty of activities such as comedy shows and karaoke.

Would very much appreciate opinions, both good and bad. And that also includes experiences with airplane travel and embarkation at NOLA and Tampa. Thanks all!!

The Pearl is going for refurb this year, so it will be "new" also. I am on the Pearl in December for the first time, so I cannot weigh in too much. I can say I love the Dawn, which I have been on twice.

Edited by JillL

We have sailed both; the Dawn only once, the Pearl 3 times. I probably lean toward the Pearl. I do think the cabins on the Dawn are slightly larger but only by a few feet. By biggest complaint if you want to call it that: the Dawn is harder to find your way around and I do like the way Le Bistro is set up. It was crowded thus it lost some of its romantic charm. to me neither issue is a biggy, but we just prefer the Jewel class ships

Although the Dawn is a great ship and looks great since the refresh, I would pick the Pearl. The Gem class ships are designed very well, are slightly larger, and have the Great Outdoors. The nicest outdoor space on any NCL ship. Also, I would rather spend a night enjoying NOLA more than Tampa. The Pearl is going into dry dock soon and will be like new. We are sailing on her out of NOLA in December.

I've been on music cruises on both the Dawn and the Pearl. I agree that the Pearl is much easier to navigate. The crew members I've encountered on the Pearl tended to be more accommodating (but maybe it's because of the nature of the charters I was on).

Although NOLA is a great place to spend time before or after, I keep hearing that embarkation there is a nightmare. Have not cruised from there so no personal experience.
I got off a cruise in December and there were no issues with embarkation for me, it was really quick and easy. Probably the reason was that there was no construction, like there was December 2015, which was awful.

I went on the Pearl in June 2016 out of Seattle and the Dawn December 2016 (New Years) out of NOLA.

I had a great experience on both ships however, preferred the Dawn for shows and entertainment, the cruise director was awesome! Really you cannot go wrong with either ship!

Although NOLA is a great place to spend time before or after, I keep hearing that embarkation there is a nightmare. Have not cruised from there so no personal experience.

I've gone out of NO twice in the last year... extremely easy demarcation both times

Although NOLA is a great place to spend time before or after, I keep hearing that embarkation there is a nightmare. Have not cruised from there so no personfal experience.

We have sailed out of NOLA twice; the first time embarkation was ok, but debarkation was a nightmare. the second time it was a little better. I have to say it has been a few years since we did this. I have heard it has gotten better. Of course it isn't the fault of NCL but more the port authority.

• 2 weeks later...

I have sailed on both the Dawn (post refurb) and Pearl. The Dawn is fine but I prefer the Pearl. I like the public spaces and the Thermal Spa a little better on the Jewel Class ships. I can always seem to find a little nook to plop down to read or sit and have a drink. The Spa on the Jewel class ships have more amenities including the water blades and the heated ceramic loungers. I cruised the Dawn out of NOLA. We came in a day early to enjoy a little of the French Quarter. It is close to the port and we had no issues at all.

• 3 months later...

Hello, we're looking at a potential NCL cruise Jan-Feb of 2019. Looks like Dawn class (the Dawn itself) or Jewel Class (Pearl or Gem).

We've never done NCL before. From what I read above, it sounds like Jewel class has the slight advantage.

One of our big issues on our last cruise was crowding of pool and chair availability. We don't have the funds to buy up to Haven. Looking at Mini-Suite since it's only like $100 or so per person more than the balcony.

Also looking at Carnival Vista (Mainly because of the Havana cabin where you get dedicated pool/bar). We know that the entertainment on Carnival will not be anywhere close to NCL.

So how crowded/bad is pool/chair availability (in general) on the Jewel class? Is it like the MSC Divina where basically if you aren't in the expensive Yacht Club (MSC) that you can't get anything (or have to get there at like 7:00 a.m. to "chog" your seat?)

Thanks!

We have sailed on both; love the Great Outdoors on the Jewel class ships. The nice thing about the Dawn (and this was in 2012 and may have changed with the refurb) is that the Stardust Theater and Spinnaker Lounge are on the same deck so it was easy to get from one to the other between shows, and the Atrium on the Dawn had a more intimate venue for enjoying musicians and other entertainment.