Bringing wine on board in U.S itineraries

Carla3

Last year we booked a 10 day west coast cruise from Vancouver return. Our friends brought on two bottles of wines upon boarding (which I know is allowed). When we stopped in San Francisco, they brought on another bottle of wine that they had purchased at locally winery, went through security and X-ray machine and were not stopped or asked to pay $15 corkage fee. Someone suggested that on domestic U.S ports, extra wine can be brought on board without addition fee. Is this true or were they just lucky?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last year we booked a 10 day west coast cruise from Vancouver return. Our friends brought on two bottles of wines upon boarding (which I know is allowed). When we stopped in San Francisco, they brought on another bottle of wine that they had purchased at locally winery, went through security and X-ray machine and were not stopped or asked to pay $15 corkage fee. Someone suggested that on domestic U.S ports, extra wine can be brought on board without addition fee. Is this true or were they just lucky?

You were lucky. Sometimes they have an alcohol table set up at the gangway during port stops and sometimes not.

We have no issue paying the required fees if we bring on additional wine and don't think twice.

You were lucky. Sometimes they have an alcohol table set up at the gangway during port stops and sometimes not.

We have no issue paying the required fees if we bring on additional wine and don't think twice.

As Colo posted, they got lucky. ;)

I've brought on wine from North America, South America & Europe ports and not often get charged a fee when brought on from ports of call. We also have no issues for the privilege of bringing on additional wine. Also we enjoy nearly all of our wine at dinner so even when not charged $15 when brought onboard, we're charged in the dining room so either way we pay the fee.

For the free bottles & additional bottles from ports, when consumed in cabin there is no fee. So sometimes we get lucky, and sometimes not. ;) But I'm thankful that Princess has a much more generous wine policy than on most other cruise lines. That allows me to enjoy other wine that's not available on the ship that's subject to a $15 fee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

As Colo posted, they got

But I'm thankful that Princess has a much more generous wine policy than on most other cruise lines. That allows me to enjoy other wine that's not available on the ship that's subject to a $15 fee.

Amen to that. Few things are more enjoyable than to try a local wine. It is one of the reasons we do not abuse the privilege.

This has been our experience as well on Princess. Particularly in Europe and the Mediterranean, often times they appear to care less if you pay the $15.00 per. Our last cruise, with 18 ports in all, most on the Mediterranean, it appeared they had an honor system going, screeners never pointed out bottles of anything in your hand carries. If you looked close after getting off the gangway, there was an alcohol table set up in an obscure corner, sometimes, with a very bored crew member staffing it.

Caribbean seems to be another story, more strict there. However, a year ago we were at a pier next to the Disney Fantasy, when leaving our ship, the Regal, we had to walk by their gangway. Beside it was a large liquor policy sign, (see picture). A lot of Princess passengers were often congregated around the sign, marveling at it. When getting back on board I had a bottle of wine, I asked "where do I pay". Answer, "no charge today". LOL

454937960_2016--Caribbeanon032.jpg.9a70cccb455102f7f707ac753dc15d52.jpg

Edited by kennicott

A number of passengers did the two winery excursion in Ensenada. Each participant was given a bottle of wine and some purchased another bottle at the second winery. Nobody said a thing when we got back on the ship. We actually purchased two large "specialty" bottles of Kahlua and, when we boarded, they just said not to open it until after we left the ship in SF. I was quite surprised. We hadn't intended to open the anyway and just stuck them in the suitcase under the bed. Perhaps it was because of the specialty bottles and the fact that we were headed back to SF the next day.

Carla, this is one of my favorite topics. I make sure I read as much as possible from Princess on it.

I have an Alaska cruise coming up this summer. The following is from their cruise FAQs:

As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while our Boutiques staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.

*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff.

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement.

This is the exact wording from the Passage Contract.

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per person of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage only in his/her carry-on luggage. A corkage fee of $15.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship's public areas. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. At embarkation, all luggage is subject to scanning and any contraband, including alcohol in excess of the allowed amount, will be removed and discarded. You may be required to attend an inspection if your luggage is locked. Carrier shall not be responsible for any loss, cost, disappointment or damage of any kind as a result of any contraband or alcoholic beverages removed in violation of the one bottle policy. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage.

The way I read it, the Princess policy allows you to carry on wine on embarkation. If you bring on wine in a port visit it will be "held" for you and returned the evening before disembarkation.

To me, the policy is pretty clear.

However, the question becomes whether the policy is followed at all the ports.

I, personally, have carried on bottles of wine after making port visits in San Francisco and Santa Barbara. In San Francisco, on two occasions I was directed to the table where the white-coated Princess guy counted the number of adults (2), counted the number of 750ml bottles of wine (2) and waved us through with a big smile. In Santa Barbara, nobody seemed to care. There are many reports here on Cruise Critic of people bringing on wine after other port visits with no problem. There are also a few reports that wine was "held" for them after port visits. It sure looks to me that enforcement of this policy is inconsistent.

I have a theory, which I think is as good as anybody's. You may find it useful. Check the Princess excursions for your various ports of call. If Princess offers winery visits or wine tasting excursions, my guess is that they will be pretty liberal about their carry on policy when you return to the ship.

Now, I know that somebody will jump in here and say, "Oh yeah. Well when we visited Puerto Carta Majorca, there were no Princess wine-oriented excursions and we brought on a bottle of Ch. Petrus." To which I reply, "Yes, Princess is inconsistent in the enforcement of their policy."

Finally, I might mention that on your San Fancisco stop there is a very nice wine shop in the Ferry Building. We've bought wine there, and carried it back onto the ship.:)

• 1 year later...

The shoreside purchases policy is rarely if ever enforced on Princess. I cannot remember one single time where we were stopped at the x-ray machine and told to remove bottles from our bags and hand them over at the table, even when very openly showing that we had purchased alcohol shoreside.