How to you organize your luggage?

PeterGH

Not sure what you mean by organize, but you will most likely bring to much. First couple of cruises we really overpacked - one suitcase was for shoes alone. Now I just pack the night before. I guess you learn as you go along.

Have you ever gone on a trip and packed a suitcase before this one??

Are you asking what I pack first and so on?

I put shoes on the bottom and fill them with soft things like socks/bras etc.

Then in goes the soft easy to roll items, underwear, bathing suit ,t shirts etc. Then the items on top are the ones that need to be hung up like dresses/good slacks etc.

Not sure this is helpful to you??

Have you ever gone on a trip and packed a suitcase before this one??

Are you asking what I pack first and so on?

I put shoes on the bottom and fill them with soft things like socks/bras etc.

Then in goes the soft easy to roll items, underwear, bathing suit ,t shirts etc. Then the items on top are the ones that need to be hung up like dresses/good slacks etc.

Not sure this is helpful to you??

Yes I just suck at packing a suitcase. Everything always ends up everywhere.

Thanks that is helpful!

You could buy some luggage and/or packing cubes, they would help with making sure everything stays organized. I'm also terrible at packing, so I was actually considering getting some to help me organize my luggage better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for the misunderstanding everyone.

I mean how do you organize the inside of your luggage when you pack to go to your cruise ?

I roll up the shirts and pants and squeeze and line it up at the bottom then up. Then I place all things that are not allowed on carry on baggage. Then pack the rest with items that I can switch from checked to carry on baggage, or vice versa, on top to easily remove in case the airport scale finds it overweight.

Here's a thread from the Fashion and Beauty board. Packing help needed!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2345093

I used 'folders' for the search. 'Cube' is another word to search.

There is not one right way to pack. Sis swears by Space bags, I swear AT Space Bags, lol. We use a combo of small bags (things assorted by type), packing cubes and a folder or two.

Also, we rarely take full size products. Either buy travel size or usually, just decant into small bottles.

Edited by SadieN

My husband and I always spend one night at an airport hotel before flying to our cruise port, so I have learned to pack the things I need for overnight [bathroom bag, nightgown] on the top layer of my suitcase, so I don't need to dig through it to find those items.

Otherwise, it is as others have posted....shoes in first, filled with small items. Then the rest is rolled and tucked and squeezed in however it fits. Wrap potentially breakable items in clothing to cushion them.

I used to have one bathroom bag for all my essentials. Now I use three smaller ones that are easier to tuck into small nooks and crannies...one for medications, one for things like toothbrush, deodorant, etc, and one for jewelry and watches.

DW can pack fifty pounds of $5!7 in a ten pound bag. ;). We always stay a day before the cruise so she packs a carry-on with what we'll wear at the hotel the first day. She also puts in an outfit for her and one for me in case the larger suitcase gets lost. At least we'll have one outfit each.

We put our underwear in two gallon zip lock bags and press all of the air out of them. Takes up a lot less space that way. As others have said, put socks, belts, etc inside of shoes. DW rolls up all clothes and somehow manages to make them not wrinkled when we unpack.

We have one of those tote type bags from Carnival with wheels on it that I carry with my meds, DW's Kindle and anything of value. That's the only bag that we carry on. All others get checked in. All dress clothes for Elegant Night go into a folding garment bag that turns into a suitcase.

Depending on how many shoes you take, they can be heavy - I pack those in my airline carry-on. I use packing cubes (love them) to keep things organized in my suitcase as well as in our cabin. I use one small cube for first-aid, another small cube for underwear, also, small cube for electronics (cords, cameras, etc). We bring cards, Uno, Five Crowns, small pad of paper and pen, this all goes in one small packing cube so that it's easy to grab and throw in my beach bag. I purchased the packing cubes on ebags.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I pack everything in zip lock bags - every size from snack to 2 gallon. This comes after one flight where our luggage sat on the tarmac during a rainstorm and our clothes came out soaking wet. Lesson learned. I fold, then roll DH's t-shirts and golf shirts, packing 2 to 4 per bag, depending on the size, then squeeze all the air out. Suit jackets pack very well in zip-locks; just leave a little bit of air in the bag to provide a cushion and they won't arrived looking like a wrinkled mess.

I also cross-pack, meaning I put half of my clothes and DH's in each suitcase; that way if one is lost, we still have something to wear. Just make sure you pack some of each (tops and bottoms) in each suitcase, otherwise you'll just have pants or shirts, not both. LOL

Use shower caps to cover the bottom of the shoes before putting them into the suitcase - it keeps your suitcase clean and leaves the shoes open for placing smaller items such as rolled up belts or ties.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I put 2 "everyday" outfits(1 pr pants/capris, 2 tops) and one "dinner" outfit in hubby's suitcase, and vice versa. Also a couple sets of "foundation garments" (love that term!)

I pack the same 3 outfits in the rollaboard, as well as extra unmentionables, PJs, swimsuit, and important toiletries. Also croc flip flops for on the plane, and use as slippers/pool shoes on ship.

We are covered for a few days even if both suitcases get lost!

I am curious what people use to organize there luggage before going on a cruise please ?

Packing cubes! Everything is organized and in its place. Packing the actual suitcase can be like playing tetris, especially if you have multiple sizes of cubes, but I like the organized look of a suitcase full of cubes as opposed to a suitcase full of rolled up and folded clothes. Unpacking is much easier. Sox/underwear/workout clothes/etc. stay in the cubes, everything else gets hung up.

Go to ebags.com and go to the ebags brand drop down menu, and select packing organization.

The old saw of "take half the stuff and twice the money you think you need" is a fairly good rule of thumb.

Good luck.

For us it starts with The List. DH and I each have a packing list on our computer. Not just clothing, but every item we want to have with us. Everything on the list is put in one place ( usually a spare bedroom ) before the suitcases even come out of the storage room. And the list is printed so we have a copy in the suitcase and nothing is forgotten, going or returning.

Ive gotten a bit fanatical about not overpacking, so I even make a spread sheet for my clothes. The master list of dresses, pants, capris, tops, etc, as well as shoes, bags and jewellery. Then I have each day divided into day and evening, and list what I'll wear each day. Mix and match. Any item that can't be worn at least twice is eliminated and replaced with something that can. ( I also plan for mid cruise laundry of underwear and t-shirts/shorts).

I do a hybrid of the bundling and rolling methods. Dresses, pants, shirts and jackets go into the suitcase as per the bundle method. Shoes are stuffed with socks and go into fabric shoe bags to keep them from soiling the clothes. Underwear goes into a clear plastic zip bag ( you know the thick plastic bags that bed linens come in? They work great!) The same with t-shirts and golf shirts, which are rolled up first. Sun hats have the crown stuffed with miscellaneous small items to prevent the crown from being crushed. All of these items go on top of the clothes already in the suitcases, with everything fitted around the hats to protect their shape. Then the bundled clothes fold over top. Toiletries have their own bag and go in an outside zippered compartment, along with my makeup bag.

Medicine/first aid items go in a small bag in a carry on. So does my jewellery, in its own case. Electronics goes into the carry-on in a zip lock bag, along with all chargers ( I use an elastic band for each one to prevent tangling). And finally, all paperwork for flights, pre those hotels, cruise doc's etc, go into a clear plastic envelope. Clothes for our pre cruise hotel go into the carry-on as well.

I've gone into too much detail. Blame it on the fact that I'm half way through the process, because we fly out for our cruise on Friday. Woo hoo!

Edited by mom says

I also like packing cubes. You can fit a lot of clothes into them and still have extra room to tuck other things in between the cubes in your suit case. May I also suggest the travelers clothes from Chicos? They don't wrinkle when you fold them. I also always travel with black capris as they go with everything and can usually wear them more then once, since I am in a bathing suit most of the time when on the ship or when in port/ on an excursion.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It depends on your goal in organizing. If we're on a land trip, I pack daily complete outfits in separate 2 gallon ziplock bags - otherwise it's a nightmare digging through everything to find a clean pair of socks, etc. PJ's and bathroom essentials go on top so that I don't need to rummage around to find them if we arrive in a hotel late. For a cruise, however, the beauty is that you unpack once and put everything away. That means the order in which you pack things is less important.

What is important is to 'cross-pack' - split your outfits and your travel companion's outfits up, putting some in one bag, some in another. That way, just in case one bag gets lost somewhere before making it to your room, you at least have something to wear. Hopefully not all your luggage will go missing, though it does rarely happen to people.

Hi Peter,

We recently got back from a cruise and found that packing cubes are really helpful for organizing your luggage.

The brand we used was Traveling Chameleon mainly due to the good reviews we had seen in these message boards. They have a variety of colors and sizes which we found quite useful.

I don't know how I packed without them before.

Here is a link to the ones we bought - they come in a four pack of different sizes and currently also come with a bonus shoe bag: https://www.amazon.com/Chameleon-PACKING-CUBES-Travel-Organizers/dp/B01EX4HQCI/ref=sr_1_118?ie=UTF8&qid=1485817589&sr=8-118&keywords=packing+cubes

Hope this helps and have a great time on your upcoming cruise!