Transatlantic 'things to do'

Hi. We have cruised a fair amount but never a transatlantic. We are excited to be doing one on Indy in April. 15 glorious nights.

My question is, and especially for the 8 sea days, do they put on extra entertainment/ activities etc than on a 'normal' cruise. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have taken a transatlantic but with some ports before reaching Florida.....Funchal, Palm de Mallorca, even St. Maarten which broke up the sea days. It amazed me how calm the voyage was....we were very lucky. If you have warm weather and calm seas it is very relaxing.

Edited by martyap

One of the things we enjoy in the transatlantics are the Enrichment lectures. They can be about any subject, but there is usually a series on the history of the port stops (not the standard shopping BS). One time we had a retired FBI officer talk about various cases.

We sailed 2 years ago out of Barelona stopping in Cadiz, Las Palma, and Teneriffe.. then Nassau and finishing in FLL. Overall a 9 day stretch of just sea days. We were never bored, and although a few days were chilly in the morning, we had extremely calm seas throughout the trip and were on the sun deck almost everyday near the pool.

This was a Western, heading back to the US in the Fall months, unsure what the weather would be like in the spring months however. This was the best cruise I had ever taken to date... very please with it, very relaxing, and always activities occurring.

My suggestion would be to get on the Roll Call for your ship and see if your fellow cruisers have any additional activities planned. The TAs we've been on have Cabin Crawls, Slot Pulls, Poker Runs, Games, LCR, special Chef Table just for CC people, Gift Exchange, a special CC luncheon. The possibilities are endless. We kind of form a family before leaving and get to know each other so we feel like old friends before we board. Our Freedom 10/22/17 TA is so active. Hop on over and and find some posts from BillandChristy near the end of the thread. Click on the button below his signature to see what we have planned to get ideas.

Thanks everyone. I'll look into your advice. We have about 6 stops in the Caribbean before we start the 8 sea days to Southampton, so that'll be nice. It would be great to be able to sit out a bit on the sea days but not expecting it so that would be a bonus. Also good to hear they put a few more things on for the sea days.

Thanks everyone. I'll look into your advice. We have about 6 stops in the Caribbean before we start the 8 sea days to Southampton, so that'll be nice. It would be great to be able to sit out a bit on the sea days but not expecting it so that would be a bonus. Also good to hear they put a few more things on for the sea days.

Hi, I am on your sailing.

There are a couple of activities being arranged on the roll call for this cruise.

Also there is a review of last year's westbound TA that includes the compasses if you are interested in giving it a read. I think the title was "Liveish from the Independence"

Look forward to sailing with you

Patti

May be a stupid question - but is the weather fair enough to sit out/ sunbathe/ outside activities during the day and night on a transatlantic crossing?

We've done 4 crossings, all from Barcelona to Florida or the US Gulf Coast. On some crossings, the weather was around 70 F and sunny every day after leaving the Med. On others, a few days were cloudy and it was in the lower 60's F, but we still got some time outside.

Crossings from England directly to the US northeast would tend to have cooler weather.

Edited by clarea

May be a stupid question - but is the weather fair enough to sit out/ sunbathe/ outside activities during the day and night on a transatlantic crossing?

From many reviews I've read, temperatures can vary from one to the next, but you can count on significant wind.

Also check the bulletin board, usually by guest services. Passengers can post there inviting people to join them, usually in a bar or lounge, to play cards, games, crafts, etc.

Had a great TA where a small group of ladies got together each morning to knit, crochet, cross stitch - so much fun - learned a lot as well.

Hi, I am on your sailing.

There are a couple of activities being arranged on the roll call for this cruise.

Also there is a review of last year's westbound TA that includes the compasses if you are interested in giving it a read. I think the title was "Liveish from the Independence"

Look forward to sailing with you

Patti

Thanks Patti. Really looking forward to it! [emoji16]

We've done 4 crossings, all from Barcelona to Florida or the US Gulf Coast. On some crossings, the weather was around 70 F and sunny every day after leaving the Med. On others, a few days were cloudy and it was in the lower 60's F, but we still got some time outside.

Crossings from England directly to the US northeast would tend to have cooler weather.

I'll bagsy the 70 degree crossing please! [emoji16]

On our TA, we joined a passenger choir. There were almost 50 of us. We "rehearsed" several times during the crossing, and then on the last sea day, we sang back up for one of the singing groups that were on board. We had an audience of several hundred and it was great fun.

Well, you'll have a bunch of 23 hour days so on those days you'll have less time to find entertainment.

I'll take that loss of 5-6 hours as opposed to arriving in Europe totally wiped out from jet lag. Better to recoup for free at home as opposed to doing it on your first day in Europe.

Hey, but that's just me :o

I'll take that loss of 5-6 hours as opposed to arriving in Europe totally wiped out from jet lag. Better to recoup for free at home as opposed to doing it on your first day in Europe.

Hey, but that's just me :o

I'm with you on that one!!

...My question is, and especially for the 8 sea days, do they put on extra entertainment/ activities etc than on a 'normal' cruiseQUOTE]

I'm retired so I have more than enough relaxing/stress free days to do nothing if I choose. I absolutely hate sea days.

I'm bored out of my skull. TV is a wasteland so it's just a grind to get onto the next port. If you are in need of hours

and hours of laying around people watching or you need to relax and vegetate I'd guess a transatlantic might suit you.

For me...I'd be looking for the razor!

...My question is, and especially for the 8 sea days, do they put on extra entertainment/ activities etc than on a 'normal' cruiseQUOTE]

I'm retired so I have more than enough relaxing/stress free days to do nothing if I choose. I absolutely hate sea days.

I'm bored out of my skull. TV is a wasteland so it's just a grind to get onto the next port. If you are in need of hours

and hours of laying around people watching or you need to relax and vegetate I'd guess a transatlantic might suit you.

And I am retired and cannot find enough time to do everything I want to! I am looking forward to my first TA in April. Hope it is better than you think it will be or or it will be my last!

Maybe you can spend some of your free time correcting Forum Syntax. ;)

I have a question. There used to be a VCR in a GS. On my last two cruises (Anthem and Harmony) no VCR in a GS. Can we bring ours? Will it connect to the TV in my cabin?

Try loading movies on an USB and bringing along your laptop. Another option is the surf and stream package which you can then access Netflix or similar.